News   Apr 24, 2024
 67     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 450     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Seems like splitting hairs to me. Okay, not racist, but religious-based hate crime carried out by members or a predominantly white religion against non-white members of a predominantly non-white religion.

It may be prejudiced of me, but I'm pretty comfortable assuming that anyone carrying out such crimes is also racist rather than being a proponent of religious-based hate crimes!

I get it, people like you like labels (oh the levels of irony here)... let's just call it 'assholery' and be done with it.

"White religion"? That's a little too much. Having said that I am not inclined to label everything as "racist" but keep in mind that there are instances of mistaken identity - where individuals are attacked on the basis of their complexion, because to the simpletons brown = Muslims. The motivation of the attacks maybe religious, but the execution of such is almost certainly racially biased.

AoD

Last edited:
I agree... and we do have to find moments to agree in these times :)

The danger in Videodrome's dirty rhetoric is that it's inflammatory and polarizing. He seeks to marginalize and divide Canadians for his own political ends.
Kind of explains why nothing's getting done in the West. It's not just Canada but Western Europe and USA; we are now more divided than since I can remember. It's fine to have disagreements but it seems that this rhetoric has become too common for both the left and the right. We can't seem to have one fucking discussion about refugees, immigration, the economy, military, foreign policy or even who we voted for without hell breaking loose. It's sad that you can get demonized just because of the party you've voted for. Makes you wonder why the West in declining...

Our first responsibility is to our own citizens and our national security. This is not about the refugees themselves or Islam or anything else. Those are all side-show issues for people to get all up in arms about. Canada has a role to play and we are in a position to help innocent people who are the casualties of this crisis but we do need to understand how to help them in a way that is responsible. Trudeau's stump posturing of '25K by christmas' is not responsible. It is the rashness of this posture that is creating the anxiety and backlash we are seeing among most moderate Canadians.
Well said. I don't understand what the rush is. Supposedly these people are waiting in Turkey but there is no war there. Like I've said in a previous thread, let's make sure the Syrian refugees are actually Syrian refugees and are willing to integrate. What I've seen in Hungary and Germany are most young men (confirmed by UN statistics) but I would much rather see families, since that is actually what refugee demographics look like (women, children, old people and of course fathers), after passing a security screening conducted by CANADIAN authorities, not the UN. Our immigration system is the best in the western world, we should definitely stick true to it if we are to ensure the successful integration of our refugees/immigrants.

Last edited:
Seems like splitting hairs to me. Okay, not racist, but religious-based hate crime carried out by members or a predominantly white religion against non-white members of a predominantly non-white religion.

It may be prejudiced of me, but I'm pretty comfortable assuming that anyone carrying out such crimes is also racist rather than being a proponent of religious-based hate crimes!
I don't mean to needle pick but I'm not so sure that Christianity is over 50 % white anymore. South and Central America has 500 million + Christians and although Argentina and Uruguay are mostly white most of Latin America isn't and Christianity is growing very quickly in both Africa and China. In fact according to my knowledge only Poland and Croatia have been producing enough Catholic priests for their respective population; the rest has to import them from Africa and Latin America.

Furthermore many although not most white people now consider themselves non-religious and Christian only "on paper" or "by family".

I don't mean to needle pick but I'm not so sure that Christianity is over 50 % white anymore. South and Central America has 500 million + Christians and although Argentina and Uruguay are mostly white most of Latin America isn't and Christianity is growing very quickly in both Africa and China. In fact according to my knowledge only Poland and Croatia have been producing enough Catholic priests for their respective population; the rest has to import them from Africa and Latin America.

Furthermore many although not most white people now consider themselves non-religious and Christian only "on paper" or "by family".

It's definitely more Christianity by birth and culture and not by practice (though there are notable exceptions)

AoD

I get it, people like you like labels (oh the levels of irony here)... let's just call it 'assholery' and be done with it.

That is uncalled for. He referred to incidents involving Muslim women accosted on TTC, racist graffiti scrawled on a GO train, and a Muslim student allegedly being spat on and insulted. Calling those incidents racist is a fair characterization. Others are entitled to disagree, but it's fair comment. Your comment is not so fair.

Christians in Canada remain overwhelmingly white. Nfitz was referring to incidents here in Canada, not in Argentine or Uruguay.

I do not recall any stories about those refugees plotting terror against Canadians - but the Liberal government decided to turn them back anyways.

I believe the concern at the time was that those Jewish refugees harboured communist agitators.

It is too low.

Don't forget the 1950s, when Canada was one of only two countries in the world (the other was Venezuela) which accepted Hungarian refugees without any quotas. 37000 were admitted to Canada in a very short time.

Unfortunately, Hungary itself proved recently to have a pretty short memory where refugees are concerned. The country played a significant role in the end of the Cold War when it removed the fence along its border with Austria, enabling visiting Czechs and East Germans to enter the West.

It's always helpful when middle-class white people can patiently explain to everyone else that racism no longer exists. :rolleyes:

Right on, only poor whites can make that claim... only if they're women though... or gay... or in a wheelchair.

You're generalizing. Yes the Muslim world has many problems, but they're not all like Syria/Iran/Iraq. Take a look at Turkey or Indonesia. They're not without problems, but you can't seriously put them in the same category as many of the Gulf states.

Perhaps the most significant reason for that is that neither Turkey nor Indonesia, despite having very large majority Muslim populations (the former has a higher percentage of Muslims, but the latter is the world's most populous Muslim country), do not have Islam or any other religion established as the state religion.

Modern Turkey (from the 1920s onward) is a secular state that has put great effort into keeping religion out of the public sphere and preventing the emergence of religion as a political force. Indonesia provides constitutional recognition for half a dozen religions - it would be hard not to, since it's a very large country that encompasses areas that are not Muslim at all.

Back