News   Apr 16, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     5 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Honestly though, Margaret Wente should be the last one to lecture on the equality of outcomes, I mean, how else to explain a serial plagarist still have a column in the National newspaper of record when what she did and caught (twice!) would have gotten you a F in university, quota or otherwise?

AoD

Honestly though, Margaret Wente should be the last one to lecture on the equality of outcomes, I mean, how else to explain a serial plagarist still have a column in the National newspaper of record when what she did and caught (twice!) would have gotten you a F in university, quota or otherwise?

AoD

Her standing isn't great, but shooting and messengers aside, you can't argue that stuff like this:
The mathematics school at the University of Melbourne in Australia is currently advertising for females only. The University of Manitoba's bachelor of education program has set quotas for its new students as follows: Indigenous, Métis or Inuit (15 per cent), persons with disabilities (7.5 per cent), LGBTQ (7.5 per cent), racialized minorities (7.5 per cent) and "socially disadvantaged" (7.5 per cent). The University of Saskatchewan is advertising a tenure-track position in the faculty of arts and science – in any rank or any field, so long as the candidate is Indigenous.
Or this:
Ottawa puts term limits on Canada Research Chairs Program in diversity bid
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...36806473/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

...raises eyebrows regarding the notion of meritocracy.

I think this statement here is actual quite fair:
No one would argue that discrimination has magically ceased to exist, or that we have reached a perfectly fair and just society. We never will. But the argument that equal outcomes are the one true measure of equality is corrosive. It means we're doomed to see people through the prism of race and gender instead of talent and achievement.
Honestly, the best way to eliminate discrimination in academics is to make admissions a completely blind process by removing name and all semblances of personality from admission forms- and direct funds towards ensuring children and teenagers have a good primary and secondary education (which probably is more important in most people's lives than university).

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_7-11-45.png
    upload_2017-11-8_7-11-45.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 280
The CPC has doubled down on Trumpian tactics and hired someone from the far right Rebel Media to run their 2019 campaign. Sure, the Liberals will mess up, but the CPC isn't doing well in opposition.

The CPC has doubled down on Trumpian tactics and hired someone from the far right Rebel Media to run their 2019 campaign. Sure, the Liberals will mess up, but the CPC isn't doing well in opposition.
The Rebel Media has grown from nobodies to people with over 600,000 subscribers on Youtube (last time I checked a while ago). Their internet circulation far exceeds traditional news media now.

Not condoning this at all, but maybe they aren't being so stupid with that.

Or this:
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...36806473/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

...raises eyebrows regarding the notion of meritocracy.

Forget "raising eyebrows". The real effect will be this. We risk losing the best and brightest to other countries.

I don't get why governments and regular Canadians don't get this. If I am a brilliant scientist, I don't give a shit about your diversity quota. I'll go where the grant money is. And I'll go where stability is good. If you offer me a position and tell me it's at risk in 5-7 years because of some quota, I'll consider other options. You'll just move lower down the list.

The thing is. Having a periodic review is actually not a bad idea. Saying that your review is going to be decided based on some diversity quota is not a great idea.

The most frustrating thing here is that the average Canadian just does not understand how important these bright minds are to our economy. In information age, knowledge is power. Having the best and brightest take up residence in Canada attracts more like minds, which in turns improves our economic competitiveness. As if we didn't already bleed our smartest and most accomplished to Europe and the US, the government wants to give them another reason to leave now....

Forget "raising eyebrows". The real effect will be this. We risk losing the best and brightest to other countries.

I don't get why governments and regular Canadians don't get this. If I am a brilliant scientist, I don't give a shit about your diversity quota. I'll go where the grant money is. And I'll go where stability is good. If you offer me a position and tell me it's at risk in 5-7 years because of some quota, I'll consider other options. You'll just move lower down the list.

The thing is. Having a periodic review is actually not a bad idea. Saying that your review is going to be decided based on some diversity quota is not a great idea.

The most frustrating thing here is that the average Canadian just does not understand how important these bright minds are to our economy. In information age, knowledge is power. Having the best and brightest take up residence in Canada attracts more like minds, which in turns improves our economic competitiveness. As if we didn't already bleed our smartest and most accomplished to Europe and the US, the government wants to give them another reason to leave now....

The problem is people like to hire people that look like them which if you look at upper and mid level management, it's straight, white males for the most part. Diversity is a good thing. "Quotas" are not chasing away talent. It's a whole combination of things. Canada doesn't have much to offer the talented and brightest coming from other 1st world countries. Weather is bad, pay is bad, housing is through the roof and opportunity sucks for the most part.

The problem is people like to hire people that look like them which if you look at upper and mid level management, it's straight, white males for the most part. Diversity is a good thing. "Quotas" are not chasing away talent. It's a whole combination of things. Canada doesn't have much to offer the talented and brightest coming from other 1st world countries. Weather is bad, pay is bad, housing is through the roof and opportunity sucks for the most part.
Visibile minorities are the majority in Toronto.

I fail to see how hiring in upper and mid level management will fail to reflect that within a generation. In Toronto at least, many office environments already do reflect it, and looking through universities, the STEM fields have become overwhelmingly non-white.

I fail to see how hiring in upper and mid level management will fail to reflect that within a generation. In Toronto at least, many office environments already do reflect it, and looking through universities, the STEM fields have become overwhelmingly non-white.
Someone in government told me about a time they had someone come to talk about the need for increased diversity. The office had 5 out of 30 who were born in Canada + 4 who were born in Europe.

"A study by the Canadian Board Diversity Council shows visible minorities comprise 3.4 per cent of directors on the boards of Canada's 500 largest companies, marking a steady decline from 5.3 per cent in 2010 and 4.6 per cent in 2012."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...15588021/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Majority of Torontonians are visible minoriteis. But the predominant race is still white. The predominant race in upper management is...white, male, straight.

We need to see diversity in upper management as well. And by diversity I'm not JUST talking about race. If too much diversity is an issue for some people then I'd gladly give them a pat on the back as they leave the country. No use for those people. "quotas" are not the issue here.

Back