News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 663     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

And the Canada Child Benefit, which lifted hundreds of thousands of kids out of poverty.
This is a debatable statistic given the lines we see at Food Banks and StatsCan saying 1 in 4 Canadians is Food Insecure.

Cheap daycare was good for me personally (it came just in time!), but I'm not sure it was a well-designed program.

Good for you. Didn't work for me. My child has been on the waiting list for the daycare attached to her school for 3 years, for after school care. We have a spot at a community centre during the school year that isn't guaranteed and renews every year.

Yes, Ford. But that worked. This program isn't nearly as popular as people think. And a huge part of why is parents like me not benefiting. I'll benefit if the CPC scraps $10/d childcare and expands CCB.

Be careful what you wish for.

When the pendulum swings to the right, things may not be as peachy keen as people think. All that outrage against the LPC will only lead to another Harper style situation in Ottawa.

Yes life is unaffordable now but how do you expect the CPC to resolve that? They will lower taxes and cut services they think are not needed because of the limited revenue.

It is great that people want lower taxes but you can't have them and still keep things like Pharmacare or put more money into your pockets.

Austerity is coming. And it's mostly Millennials and Zoomers and X'ers voting for it. There's a distinct reason why. Most of these Liberal promises disproportionately favour Boomers and are being funded with deficits that the young will have to pay.

FINAL_23_federal_budget_menagerie_en.png

Poilievre is going to be the federal version of Mike Harris, only this time it'll be the young cheering him on.

I guess the best we can hope for then is a war or outbreak that fundamentally resets society.
Nothing is going to happen so long as those with the resources control the outcome, and the disinformation to ensure their status quo is maintained.

You can tell privilege by those jonesing for conflict, certain they won't suffer. You must be rich and white, necessary preconditions to actually hope for "a war or outbreak that fundamentally resets society". Either that, or you're foolish. Minorities don't do well during war and civil uprisings.

Last edited:
To the far left? IMO, they’re already there.

It also doesn't help that the Liberals policies have shifted to the far left.

I'm not sure you guys know what the "far left" is. This government's economic policy is mostly centre-left to left. Their social policy is hard left. But some policies like using immigration to suppress wages aren't necessarily a left wing policy.

One policy change would be to get rid of the carbon tax.

The problem with the carbon tax is that it is visible. People see it every day.
Instead of getting rid of it, they should embed it. Scrap the current provincial system. National carbon tax that goes into general revenue and replaces the federal gas tax and GST/HST. Would make it quite difficult for the Conservatives to cut.

Part of the reason they lost credibility on this was their ridiculous political double standard like when they gave an exemption to fuel oil and openly admitted it was for votes. That undermined all their principles.

The Liberals lost the by-election because people are tired of Justin Trudeau, and they don't think the Liberal policies will help them.

Nine years is a lot for a Prime Minister to be in office. Nine years in office in the middle of an affordability crisis, is ten times worst.

You have to know when it is your time to go. Let someone like Melanie Joly or Mark Carney take the reins and set their own agenda.

The Liberals best hope is for a new leader to hold the Conservatives to a minority government. For that to happen Justin Trudeau has to go.

There's no poll that shows they'd do better with another leader. And if they start a leadership contest now, they either end up with a current MP who will have to tank their career, or a leader with no seat campaigning from outside the House for months, while organizing for a General next year.

I think Trudeau will go. But if he had any sense of honour and if the LPC had any common sense, they would make him wear the loss. And then they'd take 4 years to really rebuild.

That's a lot, adding something like $7-8 a tank.

Your post here is kinda proof that the rebate doesn't work. You only think of the $7-8 you're paying. Not the $140 you get back every quarter.

I've done the math. Living in a condo with one car that is a mild hybrid, and substantial use of transit and active transport, we are net beneficiaries of the carbon tax and rebate.

This is a debatable statistic given the lines we see at Food Banks and StatsCan saying 1 in 4 Canadians is Food Insecure.

Good for you. Didn't work for me. My child has been on the waiting list for the daycare attached to her school for 3 years, for after school care. We have a spot at a community centre during the school year that isn't guaranteed and renews every year.

The stats show something like 650,000 fewer children living in poverty in 2021 vs 2015. I don't know if there are updated stats since then, but I think the overall poverty rate is somewhat higher than 2021 but nothing like 2015.

That's why I think the daycare program was poorly designed. It worked very well for people who had a daycare spot, who got instant price reductions, and for people who could get into a spot, either because they were already on a waitlist, had a sibling in a daycare, could go to one of the daycares with spots open (for example, the ones in the towers downtown often have spots available now because hybrid work makes them less attractive). If you can't get a spot, which is the experience of a lot of my friends and colleagues, it doesn't help you at all. And there's no way to tailor the benefit to the people who actually can't afford daycare at previous prices.

The stats show something like 650,000 fewer children living in poverty in 2021 vs 2015. I don't know if there are updated stats since then, but I think the overall poverty rate is somewhat higher than 2021 but nothing like 2015.

2021 was a political lifetime ago. This is reality now:

Also, I do think they are manipulating stats a bit. How can the same country that has 1 in 4 with food insecurity argue that child poverty is at record lows?

And I'm not the one making declarations about other people and falling flat on my face.

Care to explain what you meant by this:

I guess the best we can hope for then is a war or outbreak that fundamentally resets society.
Nothing is going to happen so long as those with the resources control the outcome, and the disinformation to ensure their status quo is maintained.

I see you are trying to change the topic from your ad hominem now that it didn't land back to the post. No explanation is needed, the comment was quite clear.

You were advocating violence. With no apparent thought to who might suffer. That's why I called your post out. The fact that you don't want to explain yourself says it all. Reported for advocating violence.

I'm not sure you guys know what the "far left" is. This government's economic policy is mostly centre-left to left. Their social policy is hard left. But some policies like using immigration to suppress wages aren't necessarily a left wing policy.

Instead of getting rid of it, they should embed it. Scrap the current provincial system. National carbon tax that goes into general revenue and replaces the federal gas tax and GST/HST. Would make it quite difficult for the Conservatives to cut.

Part of the reason they lost credibility on this was their ridiculous political double standard like when they gave an exemption to fuel oil and openly admitted it was for votes. That undermined all their principles.

There's no poll that shows they'd do better with another leader. And if they start a leadership contest now, they either end up with a current MP who will have to tank their career, or a leader with no seat campaigning from outside the House for months, while organizing for a General next year.

I think Trudeau will go. But if he had any sense of honour and if the LPC had any common sense, they would make him wear the loss. And then they'd take 4 years to really rebuild.

Your post here is kinda proof that the rebate doesn't work. You only think of the $7-8 you're paying. Not the $140 you get back every quarter.

I've done the math. Living in a condo with one car that is a mild hybrid, and substantial use of transit and active transport, we are net beneficiaries of the carbon tax and rebate.
Trudeau should go now. He is leading the Federal Liberals into a Kathleen Wynne style destruction of the Federal Liberals. So bad that it will take them years if not decades to recover.

The Federal Liberals have a window of opportunity to elect a new leader and at least hold the Conservatives to a minority government. I say this because Donald Trump is poised to become US President for a second time. If you thought his first term was bad, his revenge filled second term for be worst.

Paul Wells suggests that Trudeau should (and likely will) stay to go down with the ship, as it is becoming clear that nothing is likely to change the expected defeat of the Liberals in the next election. No sense in burning a future leader in the next election.

Paul Wells suggests that Trudeau should (and likely will) stay to go down with the ship, as it is becoming clear that nothing is likely to change the expected defeat of the Liberals in the next election. No sense in burning a future leader in the next election.

I actually think that's what he should do. But I do think he values his personal brand too much to get a loss on the books. We'll see.

Back