News   Aug 08, 2024
 244     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Since electric vehicles use zero petroleum, expect no revenue from petroleum. The government has to get revenue to pay for highways. So expect higher sales tax or higher income tax, or we'll need to convert provincial highways to toll roads. User pay, like public transit, so pay a toll for using the highways.
That's just for new cars and passenger trucks. Commercial vehicles and existing fleet is exempt. Fuel sales will decline but not end in 2035.

Since electric vehicles use zero petroleum, expect no revenue from petroleum. The government has to get revenue to pay for highways. So expect higher sales tax or higher income tax, or we'll need to convert provincial highways to toll roads. User pay, like public transit, so pay a toll for using the highways.
Cool. I could drive tax-free so long as stay off provincial highways. Since Harris' mass downloading, that became a whole lot easier.

Freeland is a bit lacking in charisma to be PM. She may be competent but she has a bit of an odd manner about her. Maybe she can get coaching on that. To be fair, Harper was pretty low charisma but his base was highly motivated and the Liberals were very weak.

I think it would come down to where the money goes. Freeland does have some big backers. She's very close to Prem Watsa for one, and he has lots of connections to work for her in the Indian community across Canada,

I think it would come down to where the money goes. Freeland does have some big backers. She's very close to Prem Watsa for one, and he has lots of connections to work for her in the Indian community across Canada,

If there is one thing I learned from the Jagmeet Singh experiment, it is that putting all your eggs in one ethnic basket will not win you an election. It will win you the leadership but not the election.

If there is one thing I learned from the Jagmeet Singh experiment, it is that putting all your eggs in one ethnic basket will not win you an election. It will win you the leadership but not the election.
To me, the problem with Singh is that he conveys a level of unseriousness that probably makes many people dismiss him. He seems like a stereotypical millennial, though he's a bit too old. I can say that, I am one too!

Singh and O'Toole were fully vaccinated before Trudeau.

I didn't necessarily mean that is the strategy; obviously her and Prem are not the same ethnicity at all, but the organising and fundraising capacity of a billionaire Canadian businessman with connections to the Indian community is a good asset for winning both a nomination and election, especially with demographics in certain key suburban ridings that can flip Liberal/Conservative or Liberal/NDP, like in Peel or the eastern suburbs of Vancouver. No doubt Carney will have his own close billionaire connections too (Larry Tanenbaum, the Thompsons, etc...?)

But my ultimate point is those big donors/donor-drivers will probably coalesce around one star candidate and determine who gets the leadership before there is even an announcement that it is open.

Last edited:
Good for the Libs! This, in addition to the polls noted above, would seem like a further indication of an election!

Liberals want to recall the Senate to pass conversion therapy bill.​

See: https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...e-senate-to-pass-conversion-therapy-bill.html

They have some other bills left on the order paper that haven't passed too; some are still stuck in the Commons.

Given the lever open to any government to force things through........

They haven't even passed their Budget bill last I checked.

They have some other bills left on the order paper that haven't passed too; some are still stuck in the Commons.

Yes, there are certainly some Bills in the Commons but I think only the Broadcasting Bill (C10) and the the conversion therapy one (C6) made it to the Senate but were not passed. I think they were wise NOT to proceed with the Broadcasting one as it has many critics but C6 is, generally, supported except by a rump of Tory folk!

Senate passes government budget, net-zero carbon bills before breaking for summer​

By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted June 29, 2021 10:36 pm

The budget passed both the House and the Senate.

Back