News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 603     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

10,000 is a respectable number, with all 25,000 refugees will be identified and selected by the end of the year. The extension is less than 60 days -- that is good news.

ETA: From the Globe, and this is good - "All refugees will be admitted into Canada as permanent residents, meaning they will have been screened in countries such as Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey before flying into Canada. There had been speculation that the government would bring in some refugees as temporary residents and finish the screening on Canadian soil, to meet the Liberal timeline, but that option was rejected by the Trudeau government."

Last edited:
I don't see anything positive coming from allowing so many refugee's into the country.

Give them free everything while a good portion of Canadians suffer in poverty, can't find work and don't get jacksh*t from the Gov't. Makes a lot of sense. And it's only costing over 600 million over 6 years.

I don't see anything positive coming from allowing so many refugee's into the country.

Give them free everything while a good portion of Canadians suffer in poverty, can't find work and don't get jacksh*t from the Gov't. Makes a lot of sense. And it's only costing over 600 million over 6 years.
I can't think of anything negative of bringing in so ... relatively few refugees. We brought in a lot more in the 1970s - from IndoChina alone, let alone all the other conflicts.

And isn't it great that it makes our society more diverse?

Canada requires immigration to maintain growth; given our decreasing birthrate. If you look at countries where they have low birthrates and low immigration, such as Japan - look at the financial issues they've been suffering now for decades.

I see comments here that they are not letting in single men. I hadn't heard about this, but reading about it, it simply says they are taking the most vulnerable first - which includes single gay men.

More good news then, we can shelter the gay refugees in Canada! Something we can all be proud of!

Also no indication that we wouldn't be taking straight single men - simply they aren't coming first. Which given the extra screening you might want of this group to try and make sure that they are what they say they are, doesn't seem unreasonable.

Still, 25,000 seems quite paltry. Hopefully we can aim for 100,000 or so in 2016!

One thing I have to say - Trudeau certainly makes us all proud to be Canadian again. No wonder the Liberals are now polling well over 50% - when was the last time any party polled that high?

Nothing positive? You don't consider saving lives and giving people hope to be a positive?

And on the purely selfish side of the ledger, this is great for Canada. Economically and demographically, we need to be taking in more people. The 60,000 Vietnamese boat people we accepted in 79 and 80 soon became net contributors to our society, and we've earned that money and effort back many times over. There is no reason to think that won't happen here, or that we won't all be richer because of this.

This is the right thing to do.

What I said is that the "no single men" policy is not part of that security concern, and was plainly done to address political concerns. If they think filtering out single males will alleviate security risk, then we need new security officials.

I agree it won't 'alleviate' security risk, which is why I called it an 'assumption' in my post. It is intended to 'mitigate' security risk, they are profiling here pure and simple.

I do agree that there is a political angle here too. Let's call it out, Trudeau is essentially breaking a rather boastful election promise, one that he used as a wedge issue just as surely (and more deftly) as Harper did. In the end though Trudeau will only be achieving the same amount of refugees the Conservatives committed to in the first place... I know, I know, but he is promising more right? Well let's wait and see. One broken promise easily leads to the next, in my experience.

I am happy Trudeau has revised his plan though. Politics aside, the 25K by christmas was rash and irresponsible. You cannot convince Canadians that security is a priority all the while insisting on an arbitrary deadline.

I have no doubt that the government will (possibly in today's news conference) make hay of the restriction on single men, and claim it emanates from their strong desire to ensure the safety of all Canadians. But security experts are saying that the link between Daesh and these refugees is seriously overblown. And it doesn't take an expert to realize that, to the extent that such a risk exists, that filtering out single men is a hamfisted and easily overcome security measure. But how convenient that it addresses the public's general profile of terrorists, especially in light of Paris.

You seem very troubled by the family restriction (including single women and gays). I'm curious who you would chose to assist first, given limited resources??

Also, let's be clear that whether our security experts consider any terrorist links/risks to be 'overblown' or not will in no way whatsoever effect how they deal with this situation. your insistence on any risk being overblown is completely and utterly irrelevant.

And on the purely selfish side of the ledger, this is great for Canada. Economically and demographically, we need to be taking in more people. The 60,000 Vietnamese boat people we accepted in 79 and 80 soon became net contributors to our society, and we've earned that money and effort back many times over. There is no reason to think that won't happen here, or that we won't all be richer because of this.

I agree that refugees will make great contributions. They are not coming to Canada for monetary reasons, to use the country in any way. They come here gratefully to build their lives. They strengthen our country.

I share Gabe's concerns in that it would be nice if we rushed so collectively and urgently to assist our elderly citizens, our veterans, the mentally ill and the poor and so on. I just don't see it as an 'either/or' scenario. I'd like to think we can do both.

In the end though Trudeau will only be achieving the same amount of refugees the Conservatives committed to in the first place... I know, I know, but he is promising more right? Well let's wait and see. One broken promise easily leads to the next, in my experience.

Last month Harper promised that a re-elected Conservative government would admit 10,000 more Syrian and Iraqi refugees over four years. The Conservative campaign confirmed to CBC News Thursday those refugees would be in addition to the roughly 14,000 refugees Canada brings in per year on average from around the world.

In January, the government announced it was planning to resettle 10,000 Syrians by 2017, over and above an earlier commitment to bring in 1,300 by the end of 2014, but it was unclear if those were new openings or if they would be part of Canada's annual allotment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-syria-refugee-canada-government-1.3221757

I think the commitment by the current government thus far far exceeded that.

I share Gabe's concerns in that it would be nice if we rushed so collectively and urgently to assist our elderly citizens, our veterans, the mentally ill and the poor and so on. I just don't see it as an 'either/or' scenario. I'd like to think we can do both.

It is rather disingenious to "share this concern" when one's choice of party had almost a decade to urgently assist said segments, instead of actively and systematically stonewalling them per policy. Unless you want to tell me you didn't vote for them....

AoD

Last edited:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-syria-refugee-canada-government-1.3221757

I think the commitment by the current government thus far far exceeded that.

Alvin... that commitment was updated though: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-alexander-refugees-1.3235415
They committed to 10K by September. Yes, Trudeau's commitment is better, provided he doesn't break his commitment again. My point only is that politics is at play here, on both sides.

It is rather disingenious to "share this concern" when one's choice of party had almost a decade to urgently assist said segments, instead of actively and systematically stonewalling them per policy. Unless you want to tell me you didn't vote for them....

AoD

I didn't vote for Harper... and I agree with you. I'm just saying that it's a shame we as a society behave in such a reactionary way. There is all kinds of need here but it's not necessarily the 'need' of the moment. It's a double-edged sword sadly, we will likely forget the Syrians too one something else takes up the small and limited attention span of the public.

No. The political risk is that people are nervous about letting single Arab males into Canada, because that fits the profile they have in their mind of a terrorist. The actual security risk counts for very little versus the perceived security risk. That's why it's a political risk.

Sorry for late reply....been "offline"........so, I have to ask again, if there is no perception/worry about security risk.....what political risk does a government that is weeks into a new 4 year manadate with a strong majority have? Surely if there is no security risk from admitting single men from these camps, any and all political risk will be gone long before any political chips have to be cashed.

Rightly or wrongly, they perceive some incremental risk of admitting single men......and it is not political.

I agree it won't 'alleviate' security risk, which is why I called it an 'assumption' in my post. It is intended to 'mitigate' security risk, they are profiling here pure and simple.

Yep. And profiling is dumb.

I do agree that there is a political angle here too. Let's call it out, Trudeau is essentially breaking a rather boastful election promise, one that he used as a wedge issue just as surely (and more deftly) as Harper did.

Yes, they broke one element of the promise, by delaying part of the implementation by less than 60 days, in order to respond to address concerns. But the overall promise is still being met, and substantively, Canada is still taking in 25,000 refugees in a relatively short time. It remains an ambitious and rapid response.

The Liberals in opposition consistently called on Canada to do significantly more for Syrian refugees. An opposition party taking a different position than the government of the day, and then campaigning on it, is not a wedge issue. Responding to a humanitarian crisis in what the party believes to be the most humane way possible is not a wedge issue. Anytime a political party takes a position one does not completely like does not make it a wedge issue.

Typically, a wedge issue seeks to highlight/create/enhance discord among the supporters of another party and to draw support away from that party. Even during the election campaign, the promise to bring Syrian refugees was fraught with political risk for the Liberals -- the Tories were not wrong when they concluded that a majority of the electorate preferred a go slow approach, and the Tories' own base was solidily behind that assessment. If this was a wedge issue, it was the worst wedge issue possible. What it did do, however, is reassure Liberal supporters about Trudeau's leadership and willingness to take risks.

In the end though Trudeau will only be achieving the same amount of refugees the Conservatives committed to in the first place

You're joking, right?

... I know, I know, but he is promising more right? Well let's wait and see. One broken promise easily leads to the next, in my experience.

God, yes, Trudeau might once again revamp an aspect of the plan to address concerns and to make sure it is done in the best way. How awful.

I am happy Trudeau has revised his plan though. Politics aside, the 25K by christmas was rash and irresponsible. You cannot convince Canadians that security is a priority all the while insisting on an arbitrary deadline.

Yes, how rash and irresponsible of them to want to rescue 25,000 people from unsafe conditions as quickly as possible.

Almost everything government does, from spending decisions to statutory rules, is arbitrary. Governments routinely set deadlines so as to focus and motivate efforts and to show their commitment to the objective. When people complain about something being "arbitrary", that usually means they've run out of substantive things to say. It's the go-to word for people without anything to say.

You seem very troubled by the family restriction (including single women and gays). I'm curious who you would chose to assist first, given limited resources??

As pointed out to you above, there is no family restriction. Calling it a family restriction, when what it does it filter out one class of individuals, is misleading.

I'm not "troubled". I find the exclusion of single men, unless gay or traveling with parents, in this first tranche to be disappointing given the motivation for the exclusion. But the overall plan is still ambitious and humane, so no, I am not troubled.

I would want them to use the criteria they would normally use to pick the first group of refugees - those most at risk, those most vulnerable (different than risk), those who pass the security screening, etc. Despite the Titanic analogy used above, it's not as simple as "women and children first". While families might usually be the ones to meet that criteria, it isn't a given that they would be the only ones, and there are single men who for religious, political, medical and other reasons might otherwise have qualified. In other words, refugee selection should be principled, not based on profiling designing to meet domestic political concerns.

Also, let's be clear that whether our security experts consider any terrorist links/risks to be 'overblown' or not will in no way whatsoever effect how they deal with this situation. your insistence on any risk being overblown is completely and utterly irrelevant.

I don't even understand what you are saying here. For a paragraph that starts with "let's be clear", it's not very clear what you are trying to say. It's not my insistence. And you think our security experts will disregard their own beliefs?

I agree that refugees will make great contributions. They are not coming to Canada for monetary reasons, to use the country in any way. They come here gratefully to build their lives. They strengthen our country.

Agree with all of that.

Sorry for late reply....been "offline"........so, I have to ask again, if there is no perception/worry about security risk.....what political risk does a government that is weeks into a new 4 year manadate with a strong majority have? Surely if there is no security risk from admitting single men from these camps, any and all political risk will be gone long before any political chips have to be cashed.

Rightly or wrongly, they perceive some incremental risk of admitting single men......and it is not political.

It's all political. Not even the Tories felt the need to implement a policy to filter out single men. This is about domestic consumption post-Paris.

I think you need to go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say there was no perception/worry about security risk. That's the issue. It's the public's perception of risk, which is completely divorced from actual risk. The Syrian refugee file suddenly went from being risky, to being a massive potential hot potato, the moment the Paris attacks happened, because the conversation suddenly focused, to the exclusion of almost everything else, on how Canada was potentially importing terrorists. Doesn't matter that the actual risk is slight. That's what the political risk is - that if Daesh continues to cause havoc in the world, Canadians will feel less safe as a result of the refugees, whether that is an actual security risk or not, and blame the Liberals. For a government that desperately needs to use its popularity and momentum at this stage in its mandate to move forward on a wide range of files (esp climate change), and to keep the provinces and Senate in check while it does so, it can't afford to have the Syrian situation become a distracting albatross, which could happen suddenly and without warning.

ETA: Trudeau confirms that the changes to the plan were to address perceptions of risk and to reassure Canadians: "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau conceded his government altered its plans to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees to accommodate the changed perceptions about risk after the terrorist attacks in Paris two weeks ago."

Last edited:
Alvin... that commitment was updated though: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-alexander-refugees-1.3235415
They committed to 10K by September. Yes, Trudeau's commitment is better, provided he doesn't break his commitment again. My point only is that politics is at play here, on both sides.

They promised 10,0000 by September 2016. This from a government that was not on track to meet its previous weaker commitments, and refused all access-to-information requests to disclose how many actual refugees had been admitted, or even selected, to come to Canada by that point. Also, I note that the later Tory commitment was only made possible by the Tories eliminating a roadblock (UNHCR declaration of convention status) that they themselves had put in place to slow the pace.

I'm not sure how that accords with your claim that Trudeau will only be achieving the same amount of refugees the Conservatives committed to in the first place (although you later say Trudeau's claim is "better", so unclear what it is you're saying).

And if you think Trudeau has broken his commitment, by extending a deadline (which you yourself have been complaining about) by two months to address logistical challenges, while still promising to bring in that number of refugees in a very short time frame, then I would suggest that you are too focused on that one tree and missing the forest.

To the extent the Liberals have broken a commitment, I'd say it has very little to do with whether the 25000 are all here by December or February, and more to do with their funding commitment. They promised the 25,000 would be government sponsored, but it turns out that 10,000 of that first group will be privately sponsored (albeit with the government still covering security and transportation costs). There definitely is a place for private sponsorship (Canada is the only country where private sponsorship of refugees is possible, and it has a fantastic track record), but the Liberals had said that the first 25,000 would be publicly sponsored. McCallum did commit to an additional 10,000 public sponsorships in 2016, so the overall total of 25000 remains, but it seems like private sponsorships will be taking on a larger segment of the obligations than expected.

Last edited:
Some unexpected support from Conservatives:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 326

Back