News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Here's an interesting item.

The panel appointing to review the Broadcasting Act, other telecommunications legislation and CBC's mandate has made their recommendations.

All 97 of them.

I won't get into all of them here at the moment; but they are very wide ranging, impactful and would cost some real $ too.

Of note:

- CBC should phase out all ads, to be replaced by additional parliamentary appropriation.
- CBC requires additional funding to meet its mandate.

A specific comparison to Australia is made, a comparable increase to same per capita funding would mean about at an additional 700M per year from the Feds.

- All foreign media services available in Canada should be compelled to charge/pay sales tax and meet Canadian content obligations.

Lots more there.

Full report here: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/110.nsf/eng/00012.html

I am in favour of cutting funding to the cbc programming outside of the news as that is only really relevance of the cbc in 2020.

No one really watches their shows anyways.

I am in favour of cutting funding to the cbc programming outside of the news as that is only really relevance of the cbc in 2020.

No one really watches their shows anyways.

Pretty broad statement that does not include me. Many people are 'cutting the cord' and CBC lost a lot of viewers when they decommissioned their analogue OTA service and didn't replace it with digital.

Pretty broad statement that does not include me. Many people are 'cutting the cord' and CBC lost a lot of viewers when they decommissioned their analogue OTA service and didn't replace it with digital.
I think CBC is much better serviced making Big Budget shows like BBC teaming up with the big tech companies.

I think CBC is much better serviced making Big Budget shows like BBC teaming up with the big tech companies.

'like BBC' means advertising-free, that's roughly 320M in revenue to be replaced.

Lots of 'big budget' shows are made here 'Star Trek: Discovery' as an example. (not by CBC)

The mandate of CBC, however is to make shows that tell Canadian stories.

Those actually sell decently well around the the world. For instance Murdoch Mysteries gets good ratings in the U.K.

But they don't sell super well in the U.S. which is the big budget market.

I think that can change, but its difficult to get big US partners on board for overtly Canadian content, irrespective of quality'.

Big budget without a US partner is high-risk. Start at 5M per episode, it can be a lot more.

So a single one-hour series with 22 original episodes is 110M. Very expensive if it flops.

You also typically need 65 or more episodes for syndicated re-runs.

That's a 3-year, 330M commitment.

Not saying we shouldn't do that; but your now going to have to increase CBC's budget much further than discussed above; rather than cut it.

You know the thing with ads is that I do appreciate a natural, or even forced break in a TV show from time to time. It's like a dramatic pause where the director and editor know they get to leave you hanging for 60 seconds. Also I can go to the bathroom.

I’m not a fan of CBC TV, but I do like the radio. And they have produced some excellent podcasts

Their radio broadcasts are top notch. Also, it's important that because they're funded, they can (and should) focus on spotlighting indie bands and musicians instead of shilling for garbage mainstream commercial music.

But they don't sell super well in the U.S. which is the big budget market.

Too bad they can't come up with something along the lines of Trailer Park Boys or Letter Kenny which both tell our tales and sell well south of the border.

Instead we get......Family fugging Feud.

Too bad they can't come up with something along the lines of Trailer Park Boys or Letter Kenny which both tell our tales and sell well south of the border.

Instead we get......Family fugging Feud.

CBC has done some well-received content.

Some I like, some I don't.

Schitt's Creek is doing decently to the south. But its relative. Its doing well on cable, not on US network TV nor HBO.

Of CBC's scripted slate, I would value Baroness Von Sketch, and Working Moms. The latter can be a little drama-prone for my taste in comedy, but its original, and sometimes quite funny.

I've looked at Coroner, which they put a lot of money into; kinda disappointed there. I actually think the acting is good; the production values are high, but the writing is too.......

They try to cram 4 serious issues into every episode. Its too much.

Back