News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Please help me decide what university to go to!

Minime22

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ryerson Architecture/Waterloo Planning (CO-OP)?

Will I be able to do my masters at Waterloo?

The University of Waterloo offers a graduate program leading to the Master of Architecture degree (MArch), for professional qualification as architects. The Masters program in Architecture combines elements of a professional masters and a research-oriented masters program. It offers preparation for entry into the architecture profession (together with an extension of the knowledge base required of practicing professionals, current and future), to students with an undergraduate degree in pre-professional architecture, such as a Bachelor of Architectural Studies. The program is designed to develop the skills and intellectual curiosity required for a leadership role in the profession and in society, and for entry into doctoral studies. The Masters Thesis, the core academic component of the program, will develop research and analytical/interpretive skills, as well as design skills - i.e., the synthetic skills of architecture.

Is ryerson arch. considered a pre-professional architecture degree?
Or will going to Waterloo be better for my future?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you need to be under the Waterloo Bachelor of Architecture to take a Masters there.

Realize that this goes to whether you want to be an architect or a planner. If you want to be an architect go to Ryerson. If you want to be a planner take Waterloo Planning.

With a Waterloo Planning degree you can still be an architect, but you'd need to take a 3 or 4 year masters at UofT, UBC, etc and it would be a very long program, compared to just going to Ryerson and finishing your bachelor and masters degree in maybe 3 less years.

Read the pdfs of external applicants (the internal pdf is for UWSA which stands for UW School of Architecture, so not Waterloo Planning):
http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/prospectivestudents/graduateadmi.html

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure, but I think you need to be under the Waterloo Bachelor of Architecture to take a Masters there.

Realize that this goes to whether you want to be an architect or a planner. If you want to be an architect go to Ryerson. If you want to be a planner take Waterloo Planning.

With a Waterloo Planning degree you can still be an architect, but you'd need to take a 3 or 4 year masters at UofT, UBC, etc and it would be a very long program, compared to just going to Ryerson and finishing your bachelor and masters degree in maybe 3 less years.

Read the pdfs of external applicants (the internal pdf is for UWSA which stands for UW School of Architecture, so not Waterloo Planning):
http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/prospectivestudents/graduateadmi.html

Hmm, I get your point, thank you!!
I think it is better if i went to Architecture instead of Planning because on the program and not the school.

prashanna said:
May I ask why did you wait until now to ask questions

Ah, sorry! It was my fault, I've been thinking for a few days and I had decided architecture, but my parents since it wasn't a "well-known university" thought I should ask everyone one more time.
But I don't really believe in such a thing as a "good uni"

I shall go to Ryerson because I like architecture. Hopefully they will be accredited soon.

Thank you for you answers. : )

Last edited:
Go to some community college to take in some elective credits. Then the following semester transfer to the full uni school. You'll get some time to decide that way.

Back