236     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 716     0 

Planning Schools?

oreoshack

Member Bio
Reaction score
hey,

i'm in my third year doing the geography program at ryerson university. i'm starting to look at my graduate studies option and i'm looking at urban planning at either waterloo, university of toronto, or ryerson.

of those 3, which would be the best option and why?

thanks in advance

The quality of a grad school experience is entirely in your hands. You could go to an Ivy League school and get less out of your degree than someone from a lesser known university who has an excellent working relationship with his/her advisor and chooses to do a project that is considered to be important and supportable.

As a start, you shouldn't look at schools but look at possible advisors (professors) who research something that interests you and pick your schools from there. Second, you should send these professors an email and discuss your research idea; if they think it has merit, they'll probably put you at the top of the list of candidates. Don't be afraid to leave the province: if schools like you well enough, they'll pay for your tuition and probably hook you up with an assistantship that will cover living costs.

Back