News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

I got a better, irrefutable argument: My tax dollars are going to pay for this and I will not be silenced about a new airport being built when one is underutilized.

Argue that!
Oh come on, that one is easy! Accept an all private money proposal instead of doing a P3 RFP and let’s get going!
As a tax payer, the billions in revenue, and hundreds of millions a year in tax generated by employers, ticket sales and income tax would be a great return on our billion dollar land investment!

In Mark's world, economic externalities don't exist. We don't need to care about the bird sanctuary next door. We don't need to care about cutting emissions. We don't need ti care about greenspace. Or even efficient use of tax dollars for that matter. The government should simply cut a cheque to every private entity proposing a P3.

HFR ( high frequency Rail) is not direct competition , airports and rail support each other nicely if properly designed. But an airport is much cheaper to build and can be run at a profit.

Considering HSR ( high speed rail) as an long distance alternative just doesn’t work. A high speed rail line will chew up thousands of acres of class 1 farmland ( more than the airport), divide communities, cost 10x as much, provide service to 1/100 the destinations , never break even, and be obsolete before it opens thanks to this:
View attachment 197151
As much as I am a fan of electric aircraft developments —

Rail and air are not necessarily always competitors. Pearson endorses HSR with their Transit hub proposal. It frees up less profitable short-haul slots for more profitable long-haul slots. And it makes it easier to get to the airport for a number of locations. A fast trip between Kitchener-Waterloo and Pearson or even too perhaps between Kingston/Peterborough and Pearson (depending on route future HSR takes).

That said, never say never — Pickering just gets built later this century if it is needed, and/or possibly as a smaller regional airport far smaller than its current huge land reserved — simply given the growth of between Toronto and Oshawa. Smartly sized rather than Mirabel sized. But not before it is truly needed by enough people and enough airlines, IMHO.

Last edited:
Isn't one of the drawbacks of the Pickering Airport its distance from large corporate head offices and Fortune 500 satellite offices? Compared to Peel, Durham has a much, much smaller corporate footprint.

Isn't one of the drawbacks of the Pickering Airport its distance from large corporate head offices and Fortune 500 satellite offices? Compared to Peel, Durham has a much, much smaller corporate footprint.

The Pickering proponents argue that a new airport with turn them into Mississauga. How that will happen with an airport serving discount travelers is beyond me.

Welcome to the Dog days of summer! Toronto’s hottest month of the year is August, and this year could be a record breaker. Pilots worrying about density altitude and safety can hopefully soon look forward to the smart design and heat island reducing location of the new Pickering airport.

Welcome to the Dog days of summer! Toronto’s hottest month of the year is August, and this year could be a record breaker. Pilots worrying about density altitude and safety can hopefully soon look forward to the smart design and heat island reducing location of the new Pickering airport.

What a terrible reach even for a Pickering airport shill. The majority of an airport's heat island is caused by the airport itself! What would happen if we paved acres of land for a Pickering airport? It would become a heat island due to all that ashphalt absorbing and reflecting heat. Good grief.

I expect better of you Mark.

What a terrible reach even for a Pickering airport shill.

If you understand what density altitude is, his post is even worse. He's implying that airplanes in Pickering will have a density altitude advantage over say Pearson. This would be intentionally confusing the micro (local heating by asphalst), with the macro (region wide heat island effect). It's akin to confusing climate with weather. And it's a load....

If the asphalt you're on is warm, you'll have higher local density altitude. Cooling the terminal won't do crap. And your altimeter setting is given to you by the tower or terminal area controllers, which plants in your lobby have no discernible impact on.

But Mark's paid to shill so....

What a terrible reach even for a Pickering airport shill. The majority of an airport's heat island is caused by the airport itself! What would happen if we paved acres of land for a Pickering airport? It would become a heat island due to all that ashphalt absorbing and reflecting heat. Good grief.

I expect better of you Mark.

Exactly what do you have an issue with? You don’t like the idea of designing green spaces into urban environments such as an airport? You don’t like the idea that the nearby park stabilizes temperatures, or just more trolling? Let me look at your history of comments... Oh right trolling, well troll on, it’s a free world, but please don’t expect me to respond in the future.

All true, but it’s a chicken and the egg issue, which one comes first?

Challenge his lies and you get blocked!

I hope more folks push back.

You are clearly being rude and mocking Mark in many of your replies. Offending others is your passion, I get it. No need to ask more people to push back and erase fair and honest opinions.

You are clearly being rude and mocking Mark in many of your replies. Offending others is your passion, I get it. No need to ask more people to push back and erase fair and honest opinions.

Oh please. If Pickering proponents think this is a rough ride, y"all should quit now. The public is going to be far more scathing when this becomes public.

It's not being rude to demand answers or question the factual basis for assertion's made. Especially when it's someone trying to sell you something. And it's telling that Mark takes the coward's way out every time the questions actually get difficult. You too. Just click the angry face. No actual facts to offer.

I treat Mark's opinion as fair and honest if he didn't come up FUD bullshit on his website like suggesting there will be tanker fireballs on the 401 if Hamilton is picked instead of Pickering. Or suggesting that regional economic growth will come to a grinding halt without Pickering. He'd also be taken more seriously if he wasn't dismissive of environmental (climate change for example) or financial (cost of civil works for example) concerns. He constantly handwaves away those concerns with nonsense.

The great part about forums like this is they show up on Google searches. And when this proposal goes public there will be far more regular folks (and voters) asking the same questions. Are you guys going to ignore them too?

Last edited:
And here I thought the Scarborough subway was the most acrimonious debate thread on UT :D

My own two cents, this really looks like another Mirabel in the making.

Back