News   Apr 15, 2024
 901     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 644     0 

Phone Wars

Yes, the HD video is quite nice, although not quite as nice as what I get from my point and shoot. The still camera does a decent job outdoors with good lighting, but I'm having difficulty getting good quality indoor shots. This is an area that I think the iPhone 4 would have performed better in.

All in all though, it's been a few days and I think this thing is incredible. Again, the screen is this things biggest asset. Surfing the net, checking email, and reading documents is an utter joy. It's fast and responsive. Best Android in Canada without any doubt. I've come to realize that the vast majority of apps are crap, so the fact that the iPhone has hundreds of thousands of apps is really irrelevant. All the major things I need are available on Android, including Adobe software, which isn't available on iPhone. Android is very intuitive and I learned it quickly without having to read any instructions. Anyone who's considering a smartphone, take a close look at the Galaxy S.

Galaxy-S-1.png

I can't believe after all of this time, they still haven't been able to put a good camera into a phone. They're always crappy.

I can't believe after all of this time, they still haven't been able to put a good camera into a phone. They're always crappy.

Well the reason for this is simple, phones simply don't have the hardware real estate to devote to the inner workings required for a good camera. The lenses are micro thin and all of the processing is taken care of by the general cpu in the phone itself.
That said they're certainly decent in most situations. Adding more megapixels is trivial though, I'd rather see them focusing on improving the quality of the lens. People have been conditioned to think that more megapixels = better which of course isn't always true.

ganja, I don't think we're the only ones who have fallen in love with this display. Every person I know who sees mine is instantly wowed by it. I'm not certain the Iphone 4 would offer a better camera experience. The onboard camera software is incredibly basic on the iphone where as on the Galaxy you have a lot more control over your shot. The night mode is great too, but it does require a perfectly still camera. I usually have to place mine on a ledge and keep it completely still but it can still take nice pictures in low light situations. In complete darkness though you're out of luck, that's the one area where the Iphone's camera is much better... but good luck throwing those Iphone pics onto an SD card for quick loading into any device ;)

Well the reason for this is simple, phones simply don't have the hardware real estate to devote to the inner workings required for a good camera. The lenses are micro thin and all of the processing is taken care of by the general cpu in the phone itself.
That said they're certainly decent in most situations. Adding more megapixels is trivial though, I'd rather see them focusing on improving the quality of the lens. People have been conditioned to think that more megapixels = better which of course isn't always true.

Oh, I know that. I'd love to see them focus on the lens more as well. People see that higher number and automatically think "better".
As for real estate, I'd take a bigger phone if it meant my camera was as good as a point and shoot.

I'd argue that modern camera phones as seen in recent Android phones and the iPhone 4 are comparable to your average point-and-shoot digital.

I'd never buy a point-and-shoot digital again. An SLR and a good camera phone is really all you need.

Well I don't have an Android or an iPhone, but I've seen the results of an iPhone 4, and it doesn't look nearly as good as a basic 3.2 MP digital camera to me.
My Blackberry Bold 9700 takes horrible images.

I agree with Kristopher. My Galaxy takes fantastic pictures... for facebook.
When viewed at full resolution while still great, they pale in comparison to what my point and shoot Nikon can produce.

Kirstopher, LG makes some touch phones here in Korea with optical zoom lenses that spring out and are of the same quality as most point in shoots.
I have a friend with one. The battery life is just woeful as soon as you use the camera (think of all the other functions it has to do). I would assume the added bulk and poor battery time would make them a poor fit for western markets. They're really nothing more than a novelty here based on how few I've seen. One day I'm sure battery technology will take us to the point where an all powerful all in one device is truly possible.

The CCD can have all the megapixels but the optics is probably what will make or break the quality of the images for a cameraphone. There is only so much light a small aperture can gather...

AoD

I didn't want to diss the Galaxy S's camera too much. It is acceptable, and in bright light, quite nice.

Most reviews I've read have concluded that picture quality is superior with the iPhone 4 (video and still)... superior to phones with 8MP or more... so, yes, MP are not the be all and end all.

Here are some sample photos, completely unaltered, except for resized for 1024 x 768 and a blurring effect to protect the identity of an unwilling model. All pictures were taken with the camera still on a makeshift tripod or on a table except the first one.

galaxys2.jpg

Plenty of sunlight, nice colours, decent resolution, no tripod.

galaxys.jpg

Taken through a window at the City Centre Airport on a cloudy day, tripod.

galaxys4.jpg

Indoors at night, tripod.

galaxys3.jpg

Night mode on an extremely dark street, tripod.

I'm impressed, not bad at all for a cell phone cam.

Yeah, it's decent, if a bit temperamental. For comparison, here's the same street scene in the day taken in Landscape mode (infinite focus, provides a sharper picture) on a tripod.

galaxys5.jpg

Let me share my panoramic shot (Pheonix's Biltmore hotel) taken with LG Dare:
1020090908.jpg

By bauhaus at 2010-08-17
This 3.2MP camera with Kreuznach lens takes 2048x1536 photos, has white balance, color effects, ISO adjust up to 400, photometry, face detection, rapid fire 9 shots, etc....all round great phone camera.

I agree with Kristopher. My Galaxy takes fantastic pictures... for facebook.
When viewed at full resolution while still great, they pale in comparison to what my point and shoot Nikon can produce.

Kirstopher, LG makes some touch phones here in Korea with optical zoom lenses that spring out and are of the same quality as most point in shoots.
I have a friend with one. The battery life is just woeful as soon as you use the camera (think of all the other functions it has to do). I would assume the added bulk and poor battery time would make them a poor fit for western markets. They're really nothing more than a novelty here based on how few I've seen. One day I'm sure battery technology will take us to the point where an all powerful all in one device is truly possible.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they find a way to make it work.

Back