News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 798     0 

"Parking Swap": Using street parking spots for bike parking

I like it as well. However Toronto has 8 months of winter....

It doesn't necessarily have to be bike parking all 12 months of the year. Montreal does convert a lot of its on-street parking to bicycle parking, but only during the summer. In the winter, the barriers are removed and it is reverted to car spaces.

The Parking Swaps only have to be set up for 4 months a year. June 1st to October 1st. The other 8 months are a write-off. You can't really go outside comfortably after that 4 month window.

Toronto's precipitation is constant all year around isn't it? So I don't see how the snow will be more of problem than the rain during the summer. Sure, the snow covers the road, but at least you don't get all wet from the rain, or from your sweat because it is too hot.
As a car driver ... I just can't understand cyclists out there on the roads when they are snow-covered. Most winter days they are fine ... but during the middle of the storm, etc., the cars have little control, and the only comfort to the driver is that if something does happen, everyone is moving slow enough that it will only cause a dent ...

... but then a bicycle goes past ... and you think to yourself "if that cyclist had any idea how little control of my vehicle I have ...".

Which is why I try and take transit on days like that ...

Back