Parking in the downtown core

ponyboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
old picture but interesting nonetheless

4163617462_f6b888ba08_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert-bluesky/4163617462/sizes/l/

from robert bluesky at www.flickr.com

this photo shows that there remains a lot of space for towers in the future. Are there any proposals to build on any of the lots south of AC and MapleLeaf place? I know that Ice is across the street to the west.

this photo shows that there remains a lot of space for towers in the future. Are there any proposals to build on any of the lots south of AC and MapleLeaf place? I know that Ice is across the street to the west.

Nope, all the ones you can see in the bottom half of the photo will be there for sometime - there is no concrete proposal on any of those sites.

But don't forget those are among the last sites left that are not accounted for.

Yeah... agreed

Downtown toronto has WAY to many empty parking spaces/lots... lots like these in A city like New York would be rare as hell... It's disappointing that we have so many of those... Let's fill em!

Yeah... agreed

Downtown toronto has WAY to many empty parking spaces/lots... lots like these in A city like New York would be rare as hell... It's disappointing that we have so many of those... Let's fill em!

Why should we fill all of them? People need places to park their cars.

Why should we fill all of them? People need places to park their cars.

:eek:

Are you for real?

I think floors of underground parking are ten times better than just one parking lot. That is, in our car-filled reality, I do.

:eek:

Are you for real?

I think floors of underground parking are ten times better than just one parking lot. That is, in our car-filled reality, I do.

Yes. Parking is hard to enough to find downtown. If they eliminate all surface lots then it's going to be basically impossible to find a spot anywhere. But most of you guys are anti-car for whatever reason so it doesn't surprise me.

Yes. Parking is hard to enough to find downtown. If they eliminate all surface lots then it's going to be basically impossible to find a spot anywhere. But most of you guys are anti-car for whatever reason so it doesn't surprise me.

If by hard you mean a lack of signs that's one thing ...

If not, I'm not sure what your getting at - no one is saying there shouldn't be parking lots, maybe they are, but the point is - say we transformed every single surface parking lot to a underground parking log with even more spaces in the exact same location (this happens quite a bit), what's wrong with that?

say we transformed every single surface parking lot to a underground parking log with even more spaces in the exact same location (this happens quite a bit), what's wrong with that?

Not every underground parking space will be available to the public, but most of the surface parking in the City is. Once a 150-space lot is redeveloped, not all those spaces will be replaced for the public to use if it's a condo built. That said, that's not always what happens, and in the core there is a really good chance that there will be public parking available. However there will be fewer public spaces available than there was before. And to be my own devil's advocate, most of the underground parking below office buildings is public parking.

Not every underground parking space will be available to the public, but most of the surface parking in the City is. Once a 150-space lot is redeveloped, not all those spaces will be replaced for the public to use if it's a condo built. That said, that's not always what happens, and in the core there is a really good chance that there will be public parking available. However there will be fewer public spaces available than there was before. And to be my own devil's advocate, most of the underground parking below office buildings is public parking.

I don't think there is a "general rule" on this. Many condo-only developments only build down deep enough to provide units for their own residents....the additional cost of going deeper to provide more units for public use exceed the potential return from the hourly/daily rental of those extra parking spots......office/hotel towers have to provide for their users and that often includes additional spaces for hourly/daily visitors. In cases like MLS, it was pretty apparant (given the proximity to destinations like ACC/SkyDome/Convention centre/waterfront) that significant revenues could be generated from excess parking so a couple (forget how many to be honest) of extra floors of public parking were included......now, getting in and out of those spots on "event days" might be tough but at least they are there.

I don't think there is a "general rule" on this. Many condo-only developments only build down deep enough to provide units for their own residents....the additional cost of going deeper to provide more units for public use exceed the potential return from the hourly/daily rental of those extra parking spots......office/hotel towers have to provide for their users and that often includes additional spaces for hourly/daily visitors. In cases like MLS, it was pretty apparant (given the proximity to destinations like ACC/SkyDome/Convention centre/waterfront) that significant revenues could be generated from excess parking so a couple (forget how many to be honest) of extra floors of public parking were included......now, getting in and out of those spots on "event days" might be tough but at least they are there.

Getting in and out of surface lots after events in this area was a nightmare too.

Getting in and out of surface lots after events in this area was a nightmare too.

Yes....I always wondered why people felt the need to overpay in a lot so close when you could/can park in, say, the King University area cheaper and walk to your car in climate controlled comfort and be on the road in +/- the same length of time it takes to get out of those lots!

Exactly-- park a few blocks away and use the TTC-- or-- God forbid-- park at a suburban TTC station and ride the subway into town.

Underground parking is also generally more expensive than surface lots, and in the winter, salt conditions paired with heated garages actually exacerbate rusting :) (just sayin')

Back