News   Apr 26, 2024
 408     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 658     0 

Palisades on the Glen (Mississauga, Retirement Life Communities, 22s)

Y

yyzer

from the Star: a new "mature lifestyle" building in Mississauga...

Luxury suites, range of services allow residents to age in place
TheStar.com - Athome - Luxury suites, range of services allow residents to age in place

March 31, 2007
Amy Brown-Bowers
Special to the Star

For today's retirees, good enough is no longer good enough.

They are the most sophisticated and well-educated group of buyers to hit the seniors' housing market and have unprecedented purchasing power.

"They're healthy, well put together. They're independent. They have resources that they can rely on and they are serious consumers. They're educated consumers," says Josef Ger, CEO of Retirement Life Communities.

And, he says, retirees are interested in making lifestyle choices as opposed to institutional choices in their retirement years.

"What's happened is that we have gone from a medical model of housing the elderly to a residential community model of providing a lifestyle to retirees," Ger says.

"Even the language that was being used not that long ago, you know, the `old folks' home', the `nursing home,' the `home for the aged,' all that language has all gone by the wayside in favour of `retirement communities,'" he says.

Construction begins this fall on his company's latest retirement community development, Palisades on the Glen, a 22-storey tower near the junction of Dundas St. W. and Mississauga Rd. in Mississauga.

The tower will include condos and rental units, rising above a two-level amenities podium.

The urban development offers "all the bells and whistles" of upscale condominiums and rental buildings plus a varied menu of services that allow for aging in place.

It suits the retiree who wants support, security and community but not at the expense of luxury, independence and dignity.

"Because I'm 75 or 80 and I'm not comfortable living on my own, that I want to move into a community (with) supports and a social network, it doesn't make me a ward of anybody," Ger says.

Recognizing the increasing demand for options among today's group of retirees, Retirement Life Communities has incorporated choice into the development.

Residents can choose to buy or rent based on their financial goals while enjoying the same access to entertainment and support services. The recreation and exercise facilities offer a wide variety of wellness options including a wave-action pool, an on-site hairdresser and a library.

There will also be multiple dining facilities in the building allowing for culinary experiences ranging from formal to pub-style.

Residents buy into a meal plan that requires them to eat a certain number of meals each month at the dining rooms, much like being a member of a golf course, but have the option of cooking for themselves in their own units.

Condos sales open next month and rental units will be released in about a year's time, with estimated occupancy of fall 2009 for both.

Standard one-bedroom condos start at $220,000, two-bedroom condos start at $340,000 and one-bedroom rentals start at $2,400 per month.

For information, visit the presentation centre in the Glen Erin Inn at 1695 The Collegeway. Call 905-820-8210 or visit www.palisadesontheglen.com

This is an awesome green area. I'm kinda confused about where exactly it will be (unless this is the one that has been in the pipe for years but kept having problems with its location being too close to the Inn) but it's nice to see new towers popping up all over the place. It's not on a bad transit line (1C) either.

Back