News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.6K     4 

PAGES bookstore closing

nicetommy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was shocked to learn today that PAGES bookstore at Queen & John is closing permanently on August 31st. That's another independant bookstore to bite the dust. The reason given is that the landlord wants a huge increase in rent that they can't afford. Leaflets posted on the UofT grounds say that the landlord wants to take on a tenant who can afford the high rent - McDonald's was the one cited in the leaflets. BARF.

Article in the paper on the weekend says they can't find the space they want in the area they want for a price they can afford.

Funny thing is I think the building is actually owned by the city (TCHC).

30 years in one spot is a really long time, but that is such a dead part of Queen St now that i think they would actually do more business if they moved.

the vast majority of their clientele would follow them wherever they went, and they would gain all of the many people who frequent Queen St who never go that far east.

besides Queen West West, i could also see them on Ossington, Dundas or Augusta Ave in Kensington very easily, although i suppose the rents could be just as brutal in those locations...

Pages also gets the lunch time crowd from the downtown offices. Moving out to Ossington & Queen, or St. Clair & Bathurst, would not get the same people.

hmmm, i didn't know the lunch crowd from the downtown offices were into smart books (*joke*).

no but seriously, aren't they more likely to go into the Chapters (Indigo?) at Richmond and John? i could be wrong--i'm not down that way very often on a weekday...

also, i guess the hipster crowd might not have the fattest wallets, so maybe trying to stay closer to the CBD makes more sense...

Well, the space has now been sitting empty for almost two years, with no sign of a new tenant.

Someone made a very bad business decision trying to jack up the rent here...

Looks good on the landlord! i miss PAGES, it was a great little bookstore, the staff was helpfull and knowelgable and best of all no Starbucks drinkers loitering in the store!!

Back