News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ottawa reclaims top spot in MoneySense's 5th annual "Canada's Best Places to Live"

There's a lot more opportunity in Toronto. Shows come to the NAC but for short runs; way more to choose from in Toronto. I go to lots of shows at various Toronto theatres, and I see lots of "regular folk". I'm regular folk actually.

Didn't say there wasn't a better variety, just that Toronto might not be as accesible. In my experience, prices are higher in Toronto (though that could just be because the shows aren't as fresh when they get to Ottawa(. And theatres are further away. For example, there's no major theatre venue (or at least one that hosts major productions) east of Yonge (at least Mississauga's Living Arts Centre is coming into its own).

Yes noob, property taxes are the major reason tenants will choose 905 over 416, with rates varying by as much as $14 per square foot. Over the term of a lease, this difference leads to substantial savings for the business, and unless this inequity is addressed, Toronto’s commercial decline will continue. It will become the new bedroom community for the suburban commercial tigers. High commercial property taxes send jobs and development to the 905 region contributing to urban sprawl and works at cross purposes with hub-and-spoke transit, such as GO and TTC, who bring people to and from Union Station (since there is NO job growth downtown anymore).

That is why those little villages are in a better position than most of Toronto right now. Here's more food for thought:
---

gee thanks old bag ;)
If you actually knew anything you would know that Toronto has among the lowest residential property tax RATE. Rate is the key word here. Do some research it would help you evolve and get into the 21st century. It's only normal to pay a higher property tax compared to the suburbs when your house is valued higher. So basically you want to be able to sell your house at a higher price but pay less tax?

Arts and cultural activities are way more accessible in Ottawa than in Toronto. It doesn't matter how much stuff there is to do, if you can't afford to do it.

Please do not feed us with that BS. I can count the number of arts and cultural activities available in ottawa on one hand.

I do think he has a bit of a point, though, in the sense that Toronto is still dealing with post-amalgamation growing pains. How many people in Scarborough actually participate in awesome (and free) events like Nuit Blanche, for example? I bet not a lot.

"How many people in Scarborough actually participate in awesome (and free) events like Nuit Blanche, for example? I bet not a lot."

Well that's not a fair comment. You can't assume everyone attending the Toronto events lives downtown. If you're saying that Scarborough does not have many events, well then look at the other major cities all around the world. Arts and culture events are mainly centered in the city centres.
I am not saying that Ottawa is a waste land, however, culture and arts are not it's strength. Ottawa does not have the variety of events nor the choices that Toronto does.
Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are in a world of their own when it comes to that category here in Canada.

If you actually knew anything you would know that Toronto has among the lowest residential property tax RATE. Rate is the key word here. Do some research it would help you evolve and get into the 21st century. It's only normal to pay a higher property tax compared to the suburbs when your house is valued higher. So basically you want to be able to sell your house at a higher price but pay less tax?

Here is some research. The rate and the actual dollar amounts are lower.

Thanks for the charts. However, i never did say that Toronto had the highest rate. In fact i was saying their rate is fairly competitive.
The problem many people make is that the land in Toronto has a higher a value and thus your total tax bill could be slightly higher, but you're benefitting from a higher overall value.

Thanks for the charts. However, i never did say that Toronto had the highest rate. In fact i was saying their rate is fairly competitive.
The problem many people make is that the land in Toronto has a higher a value and thus your total tax bill could be slightly higher, but you're benefitting from a higher overall value.

Good try, but still wrong unfortunately :) ... did you even look at the link above? Even today Toronto doesn't have *much* higher value if at all compared to say Richmondhill / Markham / ... Don't forget Toronto = the core *expensive* old 416 along with likely the cheapest housing in the GTA - and that would be in parts of Scarborough / North York ...

So when you average it all out - they're similar.

Also, again, you need to click the link above, but, Toronto's "rates" are not "fairly competitive" ... they're extermely low compared to surroundings ... not a good thing, as it leads to the point below.

Anyway, if you're implying commerical tax rate is higher, then you'd be on to something.

Last edited:
I can almost see Ottawa as an awesome place to live (if you're a bureaucrat) but Brandon?

Not even when I'm old and boring will Brandon be even remotely attractive. Any of you ever been there? I feel really bad for the university kids, that's for sure.....though, I suppose they all get their work done well before it's due.

I'm sorry but this survey of cities tells me one thing: you can't judge a place by mathematics alone.

Been to Ottawa many times (and for extended durations) and can sum it up quite well:
It's a great place live, particularly in the winter! Given it's *capital* designation, it benefits from numerous cultural institutes (namely museums and the like) very similar to Washington DC in that sense.

But also, very much like Washington, it doesn't feel anything like any of the large and not so large Canadian cities of Vancouver / Montreal / Toronto / Calgary. Population doesn't have much to do with that at all actually. I can't quite put my finger on it, the fact it lacks this *feeling* actually likely makes it very attractive to some.

Now, what exactly is this *feeling*, it's not easy to explain - but if you've been there (and the other places) you'll know (again, Washington DC is very similar in comparison to its US counterparts).

I'm not certain exactly why the findings of the study are considered so threatening here. Try understanding the criteria or findings from someone elses perspective other than your own. Why not look at some of the criteria where Toronto ranks poorly and reflect on how this could be improved? Perhaps many of these critieria are intrinsic properties of larger settlements with more competition and sophistication. Perhaps the positive intention of reform would not outweigh the negative unintended consequences.

In many ways the things that convince me that Toronto can provide me with a higher standard of living than larger more important global cities are similar arguments being made in the study that favour smaller centres. To put it frankly, the key issue is competitiveness. Just as I am not competitive enough to achieve my goals of happiness, freedom and success in an environment like New York, so most Canadians are not competitive enough to do so in central Toronto. To be frank, and I know this will be contraversial here, I think that most people who live in large cities can only be content in doing so by supressing fulfillment in one or more of these three areas of: happiness, freedom, or success.

Montreal and Toronto have great cultural scenes but Vancouver does not. For a city the size of Vancouver it's lack of cultural amenities is quite shocking. The thing with Vancouver is that it has very few festivals and everything is charged. There is next to nothing to do in Vancouver if you don't have deep pockets. This is how Vancouver got it's nickname "no fun city".
Edmonton, Winnipeg, Quebec and St.John's have great cultural events and festivals.
All of BC is a bit of a write off when it comes to festivals and free events. In it's endless stride to be "the best place on Earth" it has zoned and regulated everything to death. While Toronto and Montreal are like fun outdoor flea markets Vancouver is like a nice new suburban auto mall.

Yes noob, property taxes are the major reason tenants will choose 905 over 416, with rates varying by as much as $14 per square foot. Over the term of a lease, this difference leads to substantial savings for the business, and unless this inequity is addressed, Toronto’s commercial decline will continue. It will become the new bedroom community for the suburban commercial tigers. High commercial property taxes send jobs and development to the 905 region contributing to urban sprawl and works at cross purposes with hub-and-spoke transit, such as GO and TTC, who bring people to and from Union Station (since there is NO job growth downtown anymore).

That is why those little villages are in a better position than most of Toronto right now. Here's more food for thought:
---

Municipal spending is out of control
Kevin Gaudet, Financial Post
http://www.jeffreyteam.com/blog/tor...toronto-has-highest-property-taxes-in-canada/

Even before Toronto announced its latest property tax hikes yesterday, Toronto took the dubious honour for having the highest property taxes in Canada, according to a detailed report issued by the city of Edmonton. Together with Ottawa, Brampton, Hamilton and London, Ontario municipalities take five of the top six spots on the list. This is something most homeowners in these cities know intuitively every time they pay their tax bill. Now they have it confirmed by an objective report that compared more than 30 municipalities across Canada.

Toronto ranked first with the highest taxes paid at $3,912, followed by Brampton at $3,826. Ottawa was third at $3,532; Hamilton and London were fifth and sixth at $3,305 and $3,078 respectively. St. John’s, Newfoundland, deserves credit for taking last place with the lowest average tax at $1,540, and Surrey, BC was second last at $1,814.

This sad but helpful property tax news is timely as city councils across Ontario prepare their budgets. As well, Premier McGuinty’s freeze on assessments for homes expired at the beginning of 2008. Not only will tax rates be going up, but for the first time in a few years homeowners will take a second hit if their home value reassessment shows an increase above the average increase. Assessment changes will take effect for 2009 property tax rates.

What is especially helpful about the Edmonton report is that it compares property taxes in a dollar value instead of as a percentage. Some mayors, like Toronto’s Mayor Miller, try to defend high property taxes by hiding behind what appears to be a lower rate than other cities. This is hiding because the average value of a home is high in Toronto so the total taxes paid for a Toronto homeowner are higher. When paying taxes one cares less about the rate paid or the details of the complicated formula used. Instead, one cares about how much money is being taken year over year. That is the only comparison relevant to a taxpayer, not whether the rate is 0.82 in one city versus 1.15 in another city.

The main reason for high and growing property taxes in Ontario is that municipal spending is out of control. Municipalities have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. While mayors continue to clamour for more and more money from many sources, their appetites for spending grow unchecked.

Data from Statistics Canada shows that municipal revenue across Ontario has been running at three times the rate of inflation. In 2006 municipal revenue was up 6.3% while inflation was only at 2.0%; in 2005 revenue was up 7.2% and inflation was only 2.2%. Despite Ontario municipal revenues ballooning from higher taxes, more transfers from other levels of government, higher user fees and new taxes in Toronto; mayors continue to complain that they don’t have enough.

It is interesting how mayors can work together cooperatively when it comes to demanding transfers from other levels of government or getting new taxing authority from the province. If that same energy were transferred to creating efficiencies and reducing costs, the report out of Edmonton might show a different – and welcome – conclusion.

http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/InfraPla...nd utility charges survey/tax report 2007.pdf
Here is the report... guess this "reporter" didn't actually read it.... this is right out of the introduction:

NOTE: it is important to use and interpret
the survey information in this report with
caution. The survey is intended to compare
the tax and utility costs of owning a similar
house in different municipalities across
Canada and in the Edmonton region only.
It would be inappropriate to use this
information to measure management
efficiency of municipal government as
property tax differences between
municipalities can be attributable to various
factors.
These factors include the structure
and sources of municipal governments’
revenues, the kinds and the levels of services
provided, the use of split mill rates for
different types of properties, different
methods used for financing local
improvements and other municipal services,
and the extent a user pay policy is applied.

Not only that, but another factor is they are comparing rates based on a single house type that is common in Edmonton: 1200 square feet, double car garage, finished basement, 6000 square feet... which could vary wildly in price depending on what city it is in (i.e. could be an average house in Edmonton, but you'd need a high income to afford it in Vancouver)

Last edited:

Back