News   Apr 24, 2024
 887     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 605     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

It never ran to Orangeville,
Indeed! My bad. The (later) CN line curved sharply north at Fergus, for some reason my earliest memory of searching the maps led me to believe it continued to Orangeville, but that of course was the Fergus sub to Cataract. There was a chord however that connected the two lines where the GWR (later CN) curved north by the Inglis factory and crossed the (later) CP tracks. I've seen a brilliantly detailed photo of that somewhere, probably from researching the early history of the line. RE: The Kissing Bridge Trail. One has to wonder on the logic of lifting what must have been a superlative and *relatively recent* (under a century old) bridge. Whether that was re-used or scrapped is a good question, but a rebirth is at hand: http://observerxtra.com/2015/04/03/...uilding-old-train-bridge-as-part-of-trailway/
I'd love for a better extension to Guelph, even if it meant paved shoulders along County Road 39 and bike lanes along all of Silvercreek in Guelph.
Rather than have the road traffic completely spoil the trip (and it's very dangerous, and I say that as a distance cyclist used to road traffic, but smart enough to avoid main roads wherever possible) I usually walk along the extant stub end of the track to get there, plus if I have company, I'm not going to expose them to the danger of cycling those roads, but a plan is in the works to bypass that stretch by establishing a path through private fields. Just Googling to find a reference/link to that, and this showed!
Creating A Trail on the Orangeville/Dufferin Rail Line
www.headwaterscommunities.ca/trails/.../RailTrailInfoDocument.doc

Edit to Add: Just reading that document, and lo and behold:
TRAILS ALONG ACTIVE RAIL LINES: LESSONS LEARNED

There are many successful examples of trails alongside active rail lines

[...]Guelph is hoping to extend its core area trail to meet the Kissing Bridge trail, and it will be beside an active railway [...]
That's what I was campaigning for in Guelph...until contacted by an org who'd been active in finding an alternative to that, due to Cargill's having a hold on the land adjacent to the RoW, and in fact, a hold on the RoW itself, whether that included the track or not is an interesting question, but the City of Guelph owns the GJR, only one of two municipally owned railways in Canada. The present Mayor still sits on the GJR Board from his appointment when he was a councilor. I'd say Cargill could earn some real Brownie points by accommodating the trail, but that's political.

It's an interesting topic surmise that perhaps can be opened as string in itself at this forum. It will impact many Rail Trails, this happens in Hamilton where the Dundas Valley Trail runs beside the extant stub left of the TH&B and yard . It might very well happen with the Orangeville and Brampton, to allow connecting the Elora-Cataract Trail to the Dufferin one, as is done at the other end, connecting the E-C Trail to the Kissing Bridge partly on the ex-GWR RoW south to Guelph.

If separated suitably, there's great symbiosis to be had by sharing the RoW.

Last edited:
Latest update here on Rapido Trains Inc.'s efforts to restore on the "Edmundston".

Key update:

Ted Wakeford from the Credit Valley Explorer has started working on the Head End Power upgrade. We hope to have the car partially in service by September. Bob Merriam will start work on the left side exterior next month. The paint has come off in sheets and the car needs major refurbishment. We’re confident Bob can pull it off.

Whoa!
Our refurbished Genemotor is filling up a big chunk of our warehouse floor. Even with the brushes removed it still weighs over 1000lbs. We love Genemotors.

Had to consult Rapido's other page for description:
In the photo above you see the underbody detail towards the “A” end of our Budd Coach. The Safety Car Heating and Lighting Company Genemotor (1) is an axle-driven generator that creates electricity from the movement of the wheels. The power cables (2) extend from the Genemotor to a “pull box” or junction box (3). We have tooled three different cable runs so that they go to the correct junction box, depending on the car style – either to the right, to the left, or straight out of the back of the Genemotor.

Conduits run between this pull box and the Pyle DC battery charging receptacle (9) as well as the nearest battery box (7). A large conduit can be seen crossing the centre sill to reach another pull box (4), from which the two other battery boxes receive their power. It is also connected to the DC battery charging receptacle on that side of the car. From that pull box, you can see two large conduits returning across the sill to a third pull box (5) which contains both AC and DC junctions. On the front of this pull box is an access door to the AC starter switch.

Connected to the pull box (5) is the alternator (6) to provide AC (alternating current) power for the fluorescent lights, as well as the Pyle AC standby receptacle (8) and a long conduit leading to the air conditioning equipment towards the centre of the car. You generally only have an alternator on cars with fluorescent lights and/or cooking appliances. On cars with incandescent lighting, all of the power in the car is usually DC (direct current) only. [...]
http://rapidotrains.com/what-is-all-this-stuff/

Looks like the OBRY is getting some new power. I really like the new Cando paint job.
Cando-4014-1280x853.jpg

Source: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=24750

Orangeville's railway corporation racks up financial losses
Orangeville Banner - http://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ailway-corporation-racks-up-financial-losses/

But even more interesting than the finances of the railway, are the "unofficial" conversations the Mayor has had with GO Transit:

"The mayor also acknowledged more effort is needed to promote the Credit Valley Explorer train excursions to tourism markets.

Williams said “unofficial conversations” have taken place with the provincial government toward exploring the feasibility of incorporating the Orangeville railway into the GO system.

“The current lines may not be up to full GO rail standards,” he said, and added the line may be able to accommodate light rail traffic.

“I have had unofficial conversations with GO who have stated they are not interested in using lower volume train equipment. Stuff different than the double decker trains they use now. It’s my opinion a light rail system could be used with the current rail bed. We do have an issue with the main line trains at Brampton - they cross our tracks - but no reason to not let passengers off there for connection with the existing GO station a couple of hundred feet away.”

If anyone wants to do a fun volunteer activity, Rapido Trains Inc. has posted this:

HELP NEEDED: We've been told that we have to finish the body work on Edmundston and get her painted in the next few weeks or the car will be shipped out where it will get vandalized.

We need volunteers to come to Orangeville and help us sand the car sides and prep them for painting. We're having work sessions on:

July 24
July 30 - Aug. 1
Aug. 6/7

If you can help, please send us a message. You just need to bring work gear. You don't need any tools.

We're also looking for volunteers to help with the interior work. Please message us if you can help.

We want to get Edmundston into service this fall, but we're finding it difficult finding people who can come out and lend a hand.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Spillover: when the city comes to the country
via The Globe and Mail (March 3rd, 2017)

This article isn't about the railway specifically, but mentions some communities like Orangeville and Shelburne (rails don't run to the latter anymore) who are along the former line that are booming population-wise.

I know this is entering unlikely fantasy territory, but I'd love to see the line re-extended 22 km from Orangeville to Shelburne to both serve as a weather-proof commuter link, and to spur economic development. The lumber yard in Shelburne was a rail customer, and Shelburne could become a farming hub to transfer grain ect to rail. Yes, I understand that a Town of 8,000 can't really justify that, but it is nice to dream.

I know this is entering unlikely fantasy territory, but I'd love to see the line re-extended 22 km from Orangeville to Shelburne to both serve as a weather-proof commuter link, and to spur economic development. The lumber yard in Shelburne was a rail customer, and Shelburne could become a farming hub to transfer grain ect to rail. Yes, I understand that a Town of 8,000 can't really justify that, but it is nice to dream.

I feel your pain! Regrettably, the number of carloads per km per year to justify the extension as a freight line is higher than what a lumber yard or grain elevator or two can offer in revenue. In OBRY's case, it's owned so locally that there isn't a tax base to support a public initiative.

The less dreamy question for me is, how much will Ontario invest in improving roads from Shelburne and Orangeville to Brampton in the next decade? It's currently 4-lane undivided, with potential to extend the 410 north. Suppose there were a formula that required the Province to budget $1 for every $10 in highway capital expenditure, into a fund to extend GO service on lines that don't currently have it. The OBRY would not be a cheap line to upgrade given bridges and general condition, but a 410 extension isn't cheap either, and it will happen eventually. Do we just sit back and accept that when public transit might work better?

I shudder at the 2 1/2 hour commute description. Happily, for now, only a few people choose such long commutes - but if Highway 10 fills up as Shelburne grows, are we willing to build new roads and rail lines that give people that option? The premise of Places to Grow was that the GTA would house itself within its own limits. If we keep building outwards, the cost of the infrastructure grows.... let alone all the farmland we give up.

- Paul

I bet that MTO will upgrade 10 to a RIRO like 35 or 11 before just extending the 410.

They are planning a possible realignment of the 410 as a part of the GTA West / 413 project, which could see it extended up to Olde Baseline Road or so. The connection to Orangeville may be a RIRO with a Caledon Village bypass, and then a simple 4 laning to Shelburne.

Also, Shelburne is booming, Orangeville a little less so. Orangeville saw roughly 6% growth from 2011 to 2016, or around 1,700 new people. Mono, which has some of the outer areas of Orangeville, grew by about 1,000. Shelburne saw 39% growth over that same period, going from 5,800 to 8,100 people, or 2,300 new people.

Last edited:
I feel your pain! Regrettably, the number of carloads per km per year to justify the extension as a freight line is higher than what a lumber yard or grain elevator or two can offer in revenue. In OBRY's case, it's owned so locally that there isn't a tax base to support a public initiative.

The less dreamy question for me is, how much will Ontario invest in improving roads from Shelburne and Orangeville to Brampton in the next decade? It's currently 4-lane undivided, with potential to extend the 410 north. Suppose there were a formula that required the Province to budget $1 for every $10 in highway capital expenditure, into a fund to extend GO service on lines that don't currently have it. The OBRY would not be a cheap line to upgrade given bridges and general condition, but a 410 extension isn't cheap either, and it will happen eventually. Do we just sit back and accept that when public transit might work better?

I shudder at the 2 1/2 hour commute description. Happily, for now, only a few people choose such long commutes - but if Highway 10 fills up as Shelburne grows, are we willing to build new roads and rail lines that give people that option? The premise of Places to Grow was that the GTA would house itself within its own limits. If we keep building outwards, the cost of the infrastructure grows.... let alone all the farmland we give up.

- Paul

The better question is do we want to support a commute of that distance? A predecessor before any road or transit is built should be a requirement for proper land use planning, woodlot managment and protection of farmland.

Orangeville's railway corporation racks up financial losses
Orangeville Banner - http://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ailway-corporation-racks-up-financial-losses/

But even more interesting than the finances of the railway, are the "unofficial" conversations the Mayor has had with GO Transit:

"The mayor also acknowledged more effort is needed to promote the Credit Valley Explorer train excursions to tourism markets.

Williams said “unofficial conversations” have taken place with the provincial government toward exploring the feasibility of incorporating the Orangeville railway into the GO system.

“The current lines may not be up to full GO rail standards,” he said, and added the line may be able to accommodate light rail traffic.

“I have had unofficial conversations with GO who have stated they are not interested in using lower volume train equipment. Stuff different than the double decker trains they use now. It’s my opinion a light rail system could be used with the current rail bed. We do have an issue with the main line trains at Brampton - they cross our tracks - but no reason to not let passengers off there for connection with the existing GO station a couple of hundred feet away.”

I wonder if some small DMU's like the Talent that they used to use on the O-Train line in Ottawa could run on the tracks at reasonable speeds.

7413.1081666680.jpg

- Paul
You beat me to it! Albeit I'd approach it from the opposite end: It could be conditional on developers who wish to build to provide funding towards re-instituting the track and negotiating with GO to either assume the track, or lease it to run GO operations over it. Highway funding could/should be a separate matter, albeit the entire point is worthy of much more discussion.

What we can't do is to continue developing willy-nilly by building highways. Ontario's "Smart Growth" appears to not be smart enough. The costs of re-instituting the line, and coming to an arrangement with Orangeville (who I'm sure would be very open to it) would be small compared to the cost of developing and building new estates in that region. Any hope of 'all-day-service' would be a pipe-dream at this point in time, but peak service would make a lot of sense.

Considering that exactly this kind of 're-establishing closed routes' is very popular in the UK right now, the basis for believing it could in Ontario should be easy to establish. It's worth at least looking at it. Who knows? Just as downtown projects now brag that they "cater to cyclists and pedestrians with only limited vehicle parking space as required by the City", developments could provide the RoW for transit, and then promote that as a selling point. History repeated in a good way!

Here's a prime example from Scotland:

Scotland’s rail boom is dramatically illustrated in maps published today which show some stations are handling more than 100 times more passengers than 20 years ago.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/new-map-shows-scotland-s-rail-commuter-boom-1-4005791

Last edited:
I wonder if some small DMU's like the Talent that they used to use on the O-Train line in Ottawa could run on the tracks at reasonable speeds.

7413.1081666680.jpg
What do you suggest? Running these from Orangeville to Brampton to connect with the KW line?

What do you suggest? Running these from Orangeville to Brampton to connect with the KW line?

If it was a separate service than GO, yes, as I don't think Metrolinx/CP wants anymore trains on the Milton Line, or going to Union.

Ideal would be to go to Milton line and express to Union, but thats a pipe dream.

If it was a separate service than GO, yes, as I don't think Metrolinx/CP wants anymore trains on the Milton Line, or going to Union.

Ideal would be to go to Milton line and express to Union, but thats a pipe dream.
What would make a lot of things easier is if and when TC allows more waivers for what OC Transpo got to run those LRTs on heavy track. Orangeville/Shelbourne is a perfect candidate for that kind of service, albeit it would probably have to be run by the county, as I suspect Metrolinx won't have any part of it.

Transport Canada website down right now, so I'm going to have to paste-in what I have from my mail records:
Ottawa, Ontario
Summary
Organization

City of Ottawa — Transportation Utilities and Public Works Department, OC Transpo
Status

Started 2001, extended to 2005
Overview

[The O-Train was Ottawa’s first experience with light rail transit. The O-Train travels an 8-km track past five stations, two of which connect to the city’s bus rapid transit system (the “Transitway”), over two bridges and through a tunnel beneath Dow’s Lake. The line serves Carleton University, a major employment centre, and a shopping mall in a densely populated neighbourhood.

The O-Train was initiated to assess the technical feasibility of using an existing rail corridor for rapid transit, to validate expectations about ridership, performance and cost, and to allow proper analysis of possible larger-scale implementation.
[...]
The O-Train travels on an 8-km length of existing freight rail track, and connects to the city’s bus rapid transit system (the “Transitway”) on each end of the line. The existing corridor is owned by Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). The line serves Carleton University, a major employment centre, and a shopping mall in a densely populated neighbourhood.

The pilot project is unique by North American standards and involves four “firsts.” It is the first time that light rail
passenger trains had been mixed with heavy rail traffic on an existing rail network, and the first time passenger rail services had been operated by a single operator. In addition, this was the first time Bombardier Talent DMU trains had been used anywhere in North America, and the first trains driven by bus operators.

[...]
The O-Train was initiated to:

Assess the technical feasibility of using an existing rail corridor for rapid transit
Validate expectations about ridership, performance and cost
Allow proper analysis of possible larger-scale implementation
[...]
Negotiating an agreement with CPR. With no prior experience in light rail, the region needed considerable outside expertise to implement the pilot project. Municipal officials negotiated a lump sum build/design contract with CPR, which gave them access to CPR’s knowledge and experience and enabled the region to control the project costs and implement the service quickly.

Partner expertise. There were no examples in North America of a single operator passenger train, so municipal officials relied on the expertise of its partners to design and implement the O-Train. More than a dozen partners lent their experience and knowledge to the project. Some of them include:

CPR, as owner of the corridor, engaged Morrison Hershfield (an engineering and management firm) to manage the project. This included design and construction administration, upgrading the lines and maintenance facilities, and building the rail stations.
Bombardier provided and maintains the trains and, with AR Concepts, developed and installed the signaling system.
Transport Canada worked with the city to develop an operating plan that met federal legislation requirements under the Rail Safety Act. The plan includes operating rules, emergency procedures, employee training programs, and a Safety Management System.
[...]
The 8-km line. Prior to the O-Train project, the CPR freight line and its rail yard were seldom used and in poor condition. CPR upgraded the line to accommodate the O-Train, and no other trains use the track except when the O-Train is not operating.

The CPR track crosses two other active rail lines, making the signalling and braking systems (discussed below) important safety elements.
[...]
Bombardier Talent Diesel Multiple Units (DMU). Three Bombardier Talent DMU trains were commissioned. The trains were built in Germany and shipped first to Montreal before arriving in Ottawa in January 2001.

The trains use Clear No. 1 diesel fuel, which contains less sulphur than other grades. The trains comply with exhaust emission requirements of Euro-II contaminant standards (the standards set by the European Union).

Each train weighs 72,000 kg, is 48 metres long, with seating capacity for 137 passengers and standing capacity for 150.

Each train is equipped with two four-stroke diesel engines, water-cooled in-line motors, and a horizontal-shaft design with exhaust gas turbocharger and charge cooler. Top speed is 120 km/hr.
[...]
Recognition. The O-Train has won several awards:

Canadian Urban Transit Association’s Corporate Innovation Award (June 2002)
American Public Works Association’s Project of the Year Award (January 2003)
FCM-CH2M Hill Sustainable Community Award, in the sustainable transportation category (May 2003)

Participants

City of Ottawa
Transport Canada
Human Resources Development Canada
Canadian Pacific Railway
Canadian National Railway
VIA Rail
Carleton University
Public Works and Government Services Canada
National Capital Commission
Ottawa Police Services
Women’s Initiative for a Safe Environment
Transport 2000
Canadian Transport Agency
Local citizens and advocacy groups
[...]
The Bombardier trains were better suited for long distance commuter service. Although the trains were a good choice for this pilot project, as the city proceeds with a more in-depth Ottawa Rapid Transit Expansion Plan Study, alternative vehicles and propulsion systems will be studied. Several requirements including turning radius for inner city use, platform height, train acceleration and vibration would be problematic for downtown service. The new trains being studied are lighter and can be mixed with downtown traffic.
[...]
http://data.tc.gc.ca/archive/eng/programs/environment-utsp-otrainlightrailproject-973.htm

See:
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/ttc/2002/12-04/ACS2002-TUP-TRN-0012.htm

Back