1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 639     0 

Ontario Produce at supermarkets?

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It strawberry season in Ontario. Went to the supermarket to buy some Ontario strawberries. NOT.

Only California strawberries, blueberries, and other such fruit. Luckily there were Ontario apples, but still.

You could get Ontario strawberries at a farmer's market or pick your own, but shouldn't Canadian supermarkets and green grocers be selling Ontario produce first, Canadian second, neighbouring states third, and then the rest of the world. Also, the California strawberries lack the better taste of Ontario strawberries.

In the off season, ok, then sell California. When they are in season, sell Ontario produce.

The challenge for large scale grocers is that their customers demand that they have product on their shelves. Local produce suppliers tend to be small and undiversified, and thus unable to provide reliable supplies of produce in the quantity needed. It then comes down to having, for instance, Ontario strawberries if possible, with a backup supply of Californian or Floridian strawberries if local fruit is unavailable. Since there is a significant lead-time in procuring produce from so far away, it is very difficult to respond to sudden shortages of local produce.

Now, many stores make an effort to have local produce on their shelves, but I'd ask that you try to appreciate the fact that it is difficult and expensive for large retailers to rely on local suppliers.

The challenge for large scale grocers is that their customers demand that they have product on their shelves. Local produce suppliers tend to be small and undiversified, and thus unable to provide reliable supplies of produce in the quantity needed. It then comes down to having, for instance, Ontario strawberries if possible, with a backup supply of Californian or Floridian strawberries if local fruit is unavailable. Since there is a significant lead-time in procuring produce from so far away, it is very difficult to respond to sudden shortages of local produce.

Now, many stores make an effort to have local produce on their shelves, but I'd ask that you try to appreciate the fact that it is difficult and expensive for large retailers to rely on local suppliers.

factor in weather and it's a logistical nightmare.

Funny about the strawberry thing. Ontario strawberries are much tastier given that they are picked when ripe. I search them out every year at local grocers, last summer was the first time that I managed to find them in several years.

W K Liz at which major grocery chain do you usually shop? I find that for the best in fresh produce, shop at the Highland Farms grocery chain. I

I just bought some nice Ontario strawberries there for 3.99 versus 2.99 for the Cali ones. That chain always carries ontario food when in reason

there are 5 or 6 locations around the gta.

The big supermarkets I usually shop depends on what's in the flyers. This week they have cherries shown in the flyers, but they are not Canadian cherries. Luckily, I have a cherry tree in my backyard, but I'm worried about the raccoons and birds getting at them before me.

On weekends, I go to the farmer's market in my area for Ontario produce. But I don't want to buy a lot because they may not last the week, until the next farmer's market. Going to the supermarket chains are a last resort.

There are no green grocers in my area of town. When I go down to Bloor West Village or Roncesvalles, I do make a point of visiting the green grocers along those streets. I try to look at the signs to see where the fruit and vegetables come from.

Happy cherry picking!

Don't forget, folks, you can grow strawberries, tomatoes, etc. on your apartment balcony.

I've been eating raspberries from my back garden ( with yogurt or ice cream ) for the past few days, now the season has begun. And yesterday I picked four large glass bowls of gooseberries for making jam.

Then there are those mulberry trees around town ...

sounds delicious!

Happy cherry picking!

Don't forget, folks, you can grow strawberries, tomatoes, etc. on your apartment balcony.

I've been eating raspberries from my back garden ( with yogurt or ice cream ) for the past few days, now the season has begun. And yesterday I picked four large glass bowls of gooseberries for making jam.

Then there are those mulberry trees around town ...

Can any true quantity of strawberries really be grown on a balcony? Roughly, what would say, 4 plants yield (top of your head)? I may just try that next year.

Also, Blackberries are now ready for picking from bushes & trees around town. Get 'em now before the birds do!

This is just one example of the many problems with our food manufacturing and distribution systems. Having recently read Paul Robert's The End of Food and watched Food Inc. at the Cumberland (go see it while you can!) and I can tell you that the problems are much bigger, and scarier, than berries.

The strawberries we see in the grocery store come from California. They are cheaper, bigger, and prettier, and last longer than the locally grown ones. The fact that they taste like nothing, were shipping across the continent, and were likely picked by illegal immigrants under harsh working conditions are ignored by many. Grocery chains need a reliable and durable source of each product: a local crop that is available only for a few weeks a year and dependent on weather is difficult to fit into their purchasing system. Combine that with the fact that local berries will be more expensive, look less pretty and likely spoil faster and it becomes clear why you rarely see them. Aside from a few foodies, the majority of consumers will not realize that the big, shiny, photogenic berries they are buying are actually inferior.

The advice given at the end of Food Inc. sounds a bit trite but it does make sense: think of every food purchase as a "vote". If you see foreign produce in grocery stores when it should be in season here, don't buy it. Instead, visit the weekly farmers market nearest to your neighbourhood, or the St. Lawrence Market (but still read labels and ask questions there, many vendors get their produce from the Food Terminal as well). Finally, if something is not in season, try to do without it: apples in April and asparagus in December usually taste like crap anyway.

There are also the better restaurants that specify "in season" for their vegetable or fruit menu ingredients. The ones that don't usually mean imported or frozen.

Some even have their own herb garden, at least.
fairmont_royalyork_herbgarden.jpg

In Ontario we are amazingly blessed with our climate and surrounding fertile areas and there is an abundance of produce, lake fish, fruits, organic meats, wines and cheeses etc. available to enjoy in season, and to can/freeze/pickle/preserve and freeze for other times. Take your summer Sunday drives to the Niagara Region, Prince Edward County, or to Southwest Ontario and you'll find lots of good stuff to help you avoid the mass-produced bland stuff on the shelves.

Back