Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Is there any guarantee that the line will meet the Spadina Go station? I would think its very hard if not impossible due to building foundations.

The vast majority of trains running into Union Station in the morning rush hour on both of the Lakeshore Lines, the Milton Line, the Kitchener line, the Barrie line and the Stouffville line are already running over capacity.

First: compared to the subway, it's not even close.

Second: unlike the subway, don't those GO lines have the ability to add more capacity -- more cars to trains; more trains, if it comes to that?

Is there any guarantee that the line will meet the Spadina Go station? I would think its very hard if not impossible due to building foundations.

It would be easier to launch a TBM from the lake out Lower Spadina than at Osgoode Hall.

It doesn't make much sense to have the Relief Line West dip all the way from Queen St. down to Front St, even if it was part of the first phase - Relief Line South. IMO, this would truly be in the fantasy territory of a second Relief Line that goes along Dufferin-Front-King-Parliament. Let's just keep in the semi-fantasy territory of the current Relief Line of Dundas West/Jane-Roncelvalles-Queen-Eastern-Carlaw-Pape-Overlea-Don Mills.

Edit. Kind of like this (probably not north of Jane-Bloor though):
Downtown.jpg

Attachments

• Downtown.jpg
    Downtown.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

Given the TTCs restrictions on curve radii, I’d say the chances are slim to none.

On the other hand, this is yet another reason to eventually build a light metro on Spadina :cool:

Given the TTCs restrictions on curve radii, I’d say the chances are slim to none.

On the other hand, this is yet another reason to eventually build a light metro on Spadina :cool:

The entire proposal for the Spadina station is to offload demand at Union with a connection via subway. (note, Bathurst North station is now called Spadina station)

So I would say that they better figure it out, or Metrolinx will have to rethink their RER plan

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20111123/November 23 2011_Presentation_Union Station 2031 and Related Planning Studies - FINAL (DS).pdf

kCZe0rl.png

First: compared to the subway, it's not even close.

Second: unlike the subway, don't those GO lines have the ability to add more capacity -- more cars to trains; more trains, if it comes to that?

Theoretically, you can always add more capacity to subway lines and it would actually be more efficient than the current GO line setup. With GO, you require more work to be done by locomotives and as a result, fuel usage and wear goes up. With a subway, extra cars added to trains just take in more electricity on their own from the nearby third rail. What would need to happen is a platform lengthening, and that would also need to happen with GO lines. I believe there is a proposal to lengthen line one trains to 7 or 8 cars, which they honestly should have done years ago along with Bloor Danforth trains.

I believe there is a proposal to lengthen line one trains to 7 or 8 cars, which they honestly should have done years ago along with Bloor Danforth trains.
There is no current proposal on the table for such a thing. There was a time a few years ago where the TTC was looking into adding a shorter 7th car module to the TRs for the Yonge-University line and that could only be done with ATC fully installed. That fell off the plans a while ago, but it is always an option if they were serious about it.

However, there's only so much that really does since at that point all you're really accomplishing is jamming more people on an line that's already overcapacity and you would just be increasing the rates of crippling the line. The only real long-term option at this point is the DRL; expanding Bloor-Yonge does nothing to relieve pressure off the Yonge line sine all it really does is relieve a current pinch point, while lengthening platform and extending trains just adds more people.

There is no current proposal on the table for such a thing. There was a time a few years ago where the TTC was looking into adding a shorter 7th car module to the TRs for the Yonge-University line and that could only be done with ATC fully installed. That fell off the plans a while ago, but it is always an option if they were serious about it.

However, there's only so much that really does since at that point all you're really accomplishing is jamming more people on an line that's already overcapacity and you would just be increasing the rates of crippling the line. The only real long-term option at this point is the DRL; expanding Bloor-Yonge does nothing to relieve pressure off the Yonge line sine all it really does is relieve a current pinch point, while lengthening platform and extending trains just adds more people.
Another problem with lengthening platforms and trains is the flow of people, which constricts how many people can enter and exit the platform and station.

Another problem with lengthening platforms and trains is the flow of people, which constricts how many people can enter and exit the platform and station.

Deeper stations are going to make this problem even worse. At least with deeper stations, you can access far reaches of a corridor (ie, one exit 150 meters north of the DRL, one 150 south or something).

It doesn't make much sense to have the Relief Line West dip all the way from Queen St. down to Front St, even if it was part of the first phase - Relief Line South. IMO, this would truly be in the fantasy territory of a second Relief Line that goes along Dufferin-Front-King-Parliament. Let's just keep in the semi-fantasy territory of the current Relief Line of Dundas West/Jane-Roncelvalles-Queen-Eastern-Carlaw-Pape-Overlea-Don Mills.

Edit. Kind of like this (probably not north of Jane-Bloor though):
View attachment 134418
I imagined it coming down Bayview (elevated for less cost), and then ending at the Ex.
I still don't know where the conventional DRL would go in the north-west. Here it's shown as Dufferin, but I could easily imagine Parkside and Keele.
DT.jpg

Attachments

• DT.jpg
    DT.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 376

Back