Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Let's not forget about things like Amalgamation. If we still had the Metro system of government, Scarborough (for example) and it's politicians would have to deal with the practical realities of extending the subway to STC. Unlike now, where it's easy to blame 'downtown' councilors for not wanting to help people out east, Scarborough would have to figure out what they could & couldn't fund and what would be in the best interest of it's citizens.

That's the reason Vaughan didn't get the subway extension to VMC. Not being a part of the amalgamated city, Vaughan didn't have enough influence to advance their subway aspirations.

Oh wait ..

The main reason the province began "interfering" in the transit planning is the escalation of construction costs, that placed the cost of major transit projects outisde the city's capability to fund it from either transit fares or property tax revenues.

One can make a good argument that the taxation regime needs to be changed and the municipalities should be allowed to set their own income tax and / or sales tax, but until then, there is no way around the need to involve provincial funding.

Phasing would not work if the technology selected needs a new yard, which realistically can only be built near Thorncliffe Park. Which means you might as well go to Eglinton for phase 1. Maybe the Osgoode to Exhibition/OP is a phase 2 opening. Time will tell if and when any of this gets built.

I like this answer, since reaching Eglinton in Phase 1 has many network benefits.

But, in order to take into account all possibilities: isn't there some space in the east, between Queen E and the waterfront, to allocate a small yard?

Conversely, it was TORONTO elected Mayor Lastman who spearheaded a subway in the suburbs, it was a TORONTO elected Mayor Miller who created a transit plan that didn't even consider the a downtown relief but quite the opposite having LRT funnel even more people onto the already overburdened current subways, and it was a TORONTO elected Mayor Ford who cancelled the Scar LRT and the Sheppard East LRT. Those were TORONTO electoral decisions that had nothing to do with Queen's Park and everything to do with TORONTO politicians trying to make cheap political gains and complete political inertia.

Instead of Toronto looking out the window for scapegoats, they should first look in the mirror.

Hold the phone. McGunity already cancelled or better wording, truncated the Transit City network down from 8 lines to 4 almost a year in advance of Rob Ford getting elected Mayor. And once Ford was Mayor he quickly met with McGuinty to craft the Memorandum of Understanding which would have gotten TORONTO both an LRT subway from Mount Dennis to Malvern Town Centre and time for the City to find private sector funding for a Sheppard subway expansion.

Who knows what would have been had Karen Stintz not interfered with the process of what Mayor Ford and McGuinty were trying to do. There's lots of blame to go around, frankly, for how we got here from politicians from all three levels of government, all major political persuasions playing god with their own sets of crayons and napkins!!

I like this answer, since reaching Eglinton in Phase 1 has many network benefits.

But, in order to take into account all possibilities: isn't there some space in the east, between Queen E and the waterfront, to allocate a small yard?
I still think the yard should be near the waste treatment plant. Cosburn would be the last station in phase 1, and the bridge and yard could be done without disrupting Thorncliffe proper.

Who knows what would have been had Karen Stintz not interfered with the process of what Mayor Ford and McGuinty were trying to do.

Not much, if anything at all. McGuinty and Rob Ford hated each other wholeheartedly. McGuinty only agreed to the modified ECLRT - SLRT plan to protect the work on the central tunneled portion of ECLRT from modifications or a cancellation. Beyond that, they really had no common ground.

I still think the yard should be near the waste treatment plant. Cosburn would be the last station in phase 1, and the bridge and yard could be done without disrupting Thorncliffe proper.

If possible, I would place the Phase 1 northern terminus in Thorncliffe (in case it can't be at Eglinton).

Flemmington Park (northern half of it) will benefit from ECLRT, but Thorncliffe is left out so far. It would be nice to give them a station ASAP.

Plus, then the main branch of bus #25 and most of other local buses can terminate at the Thorncliffe station, avoiding the need to accommodate those buses at Pape Stn.

There's a couple of spots there. *If* the ludicrous idea of using a bridge over the Don at Eastern instead of remaining in deep tunnel, then it makes absolute sense to 'skin two birds with hand in pocket' and use that daylighted stretch as the insertion/extraction point for rolling-stock. Rolling stock can also be delivered by freight rail via the GO trackage, or dragged by a diesel to New Toronto or Whitby for servicing when needed. Storage can be at the GO Don Yards until the next phase is built north.
If possible, I would place the Phase 1 northern terminus in Thorncliffe (in case it can't be at Eglinton).
For Phase 1 the yard should be temporary at the Don Yards or adjacent if the 'bridge over the Don' is built (which I think is unlikely, it's just bizarre in terms of engineering cost and complications). And if it isn't built, do as Burl states. Extend Phase 1 headshunt to a portal into the Don Valley that also acts as a stub for Phase 2, and either use the waste treatment plant site, or just minimally for storage, and a connection with the RH line to move the cars by diesel shunter to either Mimico or Whitby for servicing, or a more permanent yard built up the RH line that will be accessible directly from Phase 2 later.

There's real logic in completing Phase 1 in as short a time as possible to have a working model to finance Phase 2. Agreed that the TBMs could also be serviced in the daylight of emerging into the Don Valley on the alignment that the 'yard' and Phase 2 would take. The TBM(s) would need a new cutting head for Phase 2, and what better place to do it than a yard (perhaps temp for the TBM) that can move it across the valley floor and to the other side ready to re-enter tunnelling.

I don't see the logic of what some are proposing for either a surface yard in Thorncliffe, or a high-level bridge crossing the valley floor such as Millwood. It defies logic and common sense, and makes things much more complicated than just keeping the tunnel depth close to neutral grade, across the valley floor on a slight embankment high enough for three individual low level bridges to cross the river, DVP, and yard/RH line (where there would be a ramp(s) to connect). This could then be the staging point for the line to bore north under Thorncliffe, again keeping tunnel depth gradient close to neutral until emerging north of Don Mills to join the RH line, and possibility to use that alignment to continue to just north of Steeles. That would be Phase 3.

Last edited:
There's a couple of spots there. *If* the ludicrous idea of using a bridge over the Don at Eastern instead of remaining in deep tunnel, then it makes absolute sense to 'skin two birds with hand in pocket' and use that daylighted stretch as the insertion/extraction point for rolling-stock. Rolling stock can also be delivered by freight rail via the GO trackage, or dragged by a diesel to New Toronto or Whitby for servicing when needed. Storage can be at the GO Don Yards until the next phase is built north.

For Phase 1 the yard should be temporary at the Don Yards or adjacent if the 'bridge over the Don' is built (which I think is unlikely, it's just bizarre in terms of engineering cost and complications). And if it isn't built, do as Burl states. Extend Phase 1 headshunt to a portal into the Don Valley that also acts as a stub for Phase 2, and either use the waste treatment plant site, or just minimally for storage, and a connection with the RH line to move the cars by diesel shunter to either Mimico or Whitby for servicing, or a more permanent yard built up the RH line that will be accessible directly from Phase 2 later.

There's real logic in completing Phase 1 in as short a time as possible to have a working model to finance Phase 2. Agreed that the TBMs could also be serviced in the daylight of emerging into the Don Valley on the alignment that the 'yard' and Phase 2 would take. The TBM(s) would need a new cutting head for Phase 2, and what better place to do it than a yard (perhaps temp for the TBM) that can move it across the valley floor and to the other side ready to re-enter tunnelling.

I don't see the logic of what some are proposing for either a surface yard in Thorncliffe, or a high-level bridge crossing the valley floor such as Millwood. It defies logic and common sense, and makes things much more complicated than just keeping the tunnel depth close to neutral grade, across the valley floor on a slight embankment high enough for three individual low level bridges to cross the river, DVP, and yard/RH line (where there would be a ramp(s) to connect). This could then be the staging point for the line to bore north under Thorncliffe, again keeping tunnel depth gradient close to neutral until emerging north of Don Mills to join the RH line, and possibility to use that alignment to continue to just north of Steeles. That would be Phase 3.
I found this older picture . It's a bit easier to see without all the trees.

I would suspect that a three span bridge would be considered. The south abutment would be close to the reddish house, the first pier would be on the river side of the freeway, the next pier would be on the river side of the rail tracks, and the north abutment would be somewhere left just off the top left. This 3 span bridge would have spans of about 95 - 180 - 95 and I would picture a concrete bridge built as balanced cantilever - a relatively simple, but clean looking bridge. The cheapest bridge would be to use precast concrete girders with span of 45m - with the additional piers being a relatively minor cost. The City would likely want a cable stayed (or extradose) bridge.
Leaside 1.jpg

^ @BurlOak One of the concerns for three separate bridges with approx 6 - 7m clearance connected by embankment as I proposed would be the potential for flooding, albeit that part of the valley appears to have been spared that. The Pottery Rd and Bayview connections remain intact and appear unaffected. A number of corrugated underpasses could be added for both trail passage, flooding relief if it did happen, and safe wildlife migration.

To build three separate bridges at a 6-7m embankment height drastically reduces costs, allows interchange with a yard and the RH line for stock movement, and vastly simplifies the yard area also being a staging point for Phase 2 into tunnel again north under Leaside. If a TBM(s) were to bore south from that location, it would also be a perfect use of the till to build the embankments. The very necessity for deep tunnelling in bedrock has a huge benefit in the till being rock. Stone two birds with one kill. I'll check later on the quality of the rock being suitable to be crushed. Excess till could be removed via freight on the RH line, albeit this would mandate the building of the bridges early in the construction phase, the embankment being infilled as boring progresses.

Quick Google shows many references for the suitability of shale for the purpose of building embankments. Here's one:
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/manuals/fulltext/M46-03/Chapter9.pdf

Last edited:
^ @BurlOak One of the concerns for three separate bridges with approx 6 - 7m clearance connected by embankment as I proposed would be the potential for flooding, albeit that part of the valley appears to have been spared that. The Pottery Rd and Bayview connections remain intact and appear unaffected. A number of corrugated underpasses could be added for both trail passage, flooding relief if it did happen, and safe wildlife migration.

To build three separate bridges at a 6-7m embankment height drastically reduces costs, allows interchange with a yard and the RH line for stock movement, and vastly simplifies the yard area also being a staging point for Phase 2 into tunnel again north under Leaside. If a TBM(s) were to bore south from that location, it would also be a perfect use of the till to build the embankments. The very necessity for deep tunnelling in bedrock has a huge benefit in the till being rock. Stone two birds with one kill. I'll check later on the quality of the rock being suitable to be crushed. Excess till could be removed via freight on the RH line, albeit this would mandate the building of the bridges early in the construction phase, the embankment being infilled as boring progresses.

Quick Google shows many references for the suitability of shale for the purpose of building embankments. Here's one:
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/manuals/fulltext/M46-03/Chapter9.pdf
I am not sure that your 3 bridge idea will work. I don't know the elevations involved, or exact soil conditions, but there are a couple of cautions:
  1. A bridge with minimum clearance over DVP requires a height of 5m for clearance, plus the depth of the actual bridge girders, which for typical single span bridges would be somewhere between 18 to 24 times the span. If you want to span both lanes of DVP, plus have the abutments a safe distance back from the road, that span is likely over 60m length. That's a girder depth of 3m, and the overall embankment would be 9m - and more on the downhill side.
  2. Single span bridges are less efficient than multi-span bridges (18 to 24 span to depth compared to 24 to 40) - meaning that the girders are deeper (almost up to twice as deep) and look clunkier. If the spans are less than 40 to 45m, then prestressed concrete girders can be used which would be less costly. As soon as you go above this, a different, more expensive structure type would be needed.
  3. I imagine the slope of the valley is steep than the proper grade for the "subway" to travel, so the embankment would be much taller for the span that crosses the actual Don River.
  4. Your right about the flooding, but probably underestimating it. The design storm around here is Hurricane Hazel - which likely was closer to a 1000 year storm. It's something we haven't been close to seeing in the past 60 years. When the hydrology analysis is done, I am sure these embankments would be in the way.
  5. Those embankments have weight - about 20 kPa per metre height. When you add this giant weight to the underlying soil, it will likely settle. Depending on the soil conditions, this settlement occurs over years. It means that the tracks over the embankment would also settle. It also could mean that the GO line also settles. (of course this depends on the compressibility of the soil, the depth of soil to bedrock, proximity of bridge abutment to GO tracks, and the embankment height).
  6. The other consequence of the settlement of the underlying soil is downdrag forces. Essentially, piles are driven into the ground to support the bridge abutments (they typically go to bedrock). The soils grab the piles to some degree and pull down on the pile as the embankment and underlying soil settle. This adds large forces to the piles, and it greatly increases the cost of the substructure.
As I said, the least expense would be a continuous bridge spanning the valley to some degree. Depending on where the subway would emerge from the south hill, and re-enter the north hill, that would determine the total length of the bridge. Divide that by 40m, and it gets you the number of spans. Then maybe make some adjustments to avoid the DVP lanes and the normal water in the Don River. This also requires cranes in the valley to erect the concrete girders (which are pretty heavy), which are quite large construction equipment that need massive assess roads and basically clearing the entire path over which the bridge goes.
But if you want to add some aesthetics, the Balanced Cantilever would work well.

^ @BurlOak : Excellent points for discussion. No matter how outlandish some expressed ideas are, compared to the absolute vacuum of info from QP, and some of the wild ideas from "expert planners" (although it was Ford's concept, the bridge over the Don at Eastern in lieu of just tunnelling through with fully serviced and in-situ TBMs) these ideas are perfectly germane. I'd say we hit the mark pretty close with deducing 'metros' being the 'jaw dropping tech' albeit I defer from metros to a heavier and 'even more advanced' solution like London is using. (Thameslink, Great Northern, Crossrail, etc) which of course is virtually single deck RER EMU deluxe.

Some quick answers, some of your points require deeper digging to answer fairly later:
  1. A bridge with minimum clearance over DVP requires a height of 5m for clearance, plus the depth of the actual bridge girders, which for typical single span bridges would be somewhere between 18 to 24 times the span. If you want to span both lanes of DVP, plus have the abutments a safe distance back from the road, that span is likely over 60m length. That's a girder depth of 3m, and the overall embankment would be 9m - and more on the downhill side.
I checked both rail and US DOT highway specs to arrive at the figures I used. If it's out, it's only by degree for clearance. Your point on girder depth is well taken though. I'd say the cases for comparison already exist with the Pottery Rd and Bayview exists and embankments. So let me flip this over to state: "Built to the same elevation or perhaps a bit more than existing structures already extant in the Valley".
Single span bridges are less efficient than multi-span bridges (18 to 24 span to depth compared to 24 to 40) - meaning that the girders are deeper (almost up to twice as deep) and look clunkier. If the spans are less than 40 to 45m, then prestressed concrete girders can be used which would be less costly. As soon as you go above this, a different, more expensive structure type would be needed.
I got lucky getting two Google hits on this first try (Googling is an art and it's all down to the right 'tags'...and luck!)
chapter 8 precast pretensioned concrete girders - Caltrans
www.dot.ca.gov/des/techpubs/manuals/bridge-design-practice/page/bdp-8.pdf

PC girders are a type of prestressed concrete girder that facilitates rapid ... The use of PC girdersin California highway bridge system has increased rapidly .... used for railway systems and relatively short span lengths ranging from 40 ft to 100.

[PDF]Thirty Years of Prestressed Concrete Railroad Bridges
https://www.pci.org/.../Thirty%20Years%20of%20Prestressed%20Concrete%20Railroa...

by D Goldberg - ‎1983 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles
Ref. 5 pro- vides more details of this structure. In 1966, the Frisco Railway opened its third trestle using prestressed con- crete box girders with the ties resting.
- : Google

I have some reading to do there. Input from others most welcome. My concern was approval for pre-cast structures for rail use, but it's well established I see. To flip this over though, it appears to bolster the viability of three shorter bridges as much as a single one, but this will prove an interesting search.
I imagine the slope of the valley is steep than the proper grade for the "subway" to travel, so the embankment would be much taller for the span that crosses the actual Don River.
I presume you're referring to valley walls? I did some extensive viewing on Google Satellite 3D, and the valley floor is surprisingly flat, a virtual spillway, which does lend itself to powerful flood velocity if steps aren't taken to address that. But that being said, the flood concerns are only in the lower part of the Don it seems, or transportation infrastructure like the Bayview exit, Pottery Rd, and two...lol...*three* rail lines over the years have survived quite well in that part of the valley. The RH line flooding is to the south of there. I stand to be corrected, as it is a crucial point that *may* demand a bridge as you describe. What complicates a higher bridge is access to a yard and the RH line for operational and engineering needs. I'll do some more study on that and answer with reference later. (Edit to Add: Flood Control since Hurricane Hazel has inevitably reduced the flood risk factor substantially)
You're right about the flooding, but probably underestimating it. The design storm around here is Hurricane Hazel - which likely was closer to a 1000 year storm. It's something we haven't been close to seeing in the past 60 years. When the hydrology analysis is done, I am sure these embankments would be in the way.
It's a good point, and one I considered, until realizing that so much infrastructure is already in that area that doesn't meet that requirement. I suspect hardening of an embankment with lots of flow through culverts might address that. Perhaps not. It might take some digging to realize just what probability risk factor is at this time. That would certainly have impact further south on the Don, for all infrastructure.
Those embankments have weight - about 20 kPa per metre height. When you add this giant weight to the underlying soil, it will likely settle. Depending on the soil conditions, this settlement occurs over years. It means that the tracks over the embankment would also settle. It also could mean that the GO line also settles. (of course this depends on the compressibility of the soil, the depth of soil to bedrock, proximity of bridge abutment to GO tracks, and the embankment height).
This is interesting, especially as it relates to shale! With shale, the consideration is the opposite. It expands with time and released from geologic deposition/compression. That's discussed at length in the earliest link I posted from the US DOT Highway paper. It can swell so much so that it is deemed "light fill" along with styrofoam! I was pretty shocked by that, but it's actually an advantage in berm building, and can produce a valuable grade of 'light' gravel when crushed.

For the underlying soil weight bearing, the Millwood bridge seems to do very well with concrete pylons. I imagine bedrock is not that far down. It remains intriguing.
The other consequence of the settlement of the underlying soil is downdrag forces. Essentially, piles are driven into the ground to support the bridge abutments (they typically go to bedrock). The soils grab the piles to some degree and pull down on the pile as the embankment and underlying soil settle. This adds large forces to the piles, and it greatly increases the cost of the substructure.
Again, to gauge this in perspective without doing a specific reference, the nearby highway and arterial structures and bridges have already set a template. I'll try and find some engineering specs and dimensions on those structures and see if it could work. At the end of the day, for a variety of reasons you list, a single structure spanning the valley (or even partially to an embankment on the north side that allows ramps down to a yard and connection to the RH line for stock movement) might be the cheapest and most stable option. Something to consider is that the Prince Edward Viaduct west side lands on fill built from Sherbourne east to the beginning of the bridge proper.

I have to wonder if engineering students aren't already discussing what we are and it's a matter of time until we see some pretty good critiques published on this? That's worth a good Google in itself.

@BurlOak, the Millwood (aka: Leaside) bridge (pictured) is a double-truss bridge (upper-deck host roadway, lower deck is empty!), somewhat simillar to the older Prince Edward Viaduct 2.5km southwest, a double-truss arc bridge where upper-deck host roadway & lower-deck host Bloor-Danforth SUBWAY line 50 years after bridge was built). Could Millwood bridge's lower-deck host a "narrow new vehicle technology"???

Part of lower truss is load-bearing (solid I-beam horizontal support in foreground), but other parts are not (thinner I-beam shaped horizontal supports in background). For lower truss to be used to host narrow rapid transit, it'll have to be strengthen.

Since Ontario Line will utilize new narrower vehicle technology (instead of those FatAss TTC Subway cars) it might even go right on the roadway of the Millwood Bridge!
"In the late 1960s, as the first of numerous plans appeared to extend Leslie Street south of Eglinton, plans were initiated to widen the bridge to support six lanes of traffic. The bridge was closed beginning September 16, 1968, and reopened February 8, 1969.[4] Girders were attached to the sides of the bridge to widen the deck to either side[3] and the piers were reinforced on the corners to carry the additional weight."
Of course, Leslie Street was never extended southeast of Eglinton to Millwood bridge; 50 years later, now any talk of extending Leslie Street south of Eglinton is to the southwest connecting to Bayview Ave for a more easier route to downtown core.
IMO, while the area has traffic congestion getting to the bridge, the wide road on the upper-deck of the bridge currently has capacity to spare - Since Ontario Line will utilize new narrower vehicle technology (instead of those FatAss TTC Subway cars) it might even go right on the roadway of the Millwood Bridge!

Interesting thread from 6.5 years ago on possibility of utilizing Millwood/Leaside bridge for DRL:

It's likely not worth arguing that much.

For some reference, Fairway bridge was built in Kitchener for $51M. It was 30m wide, ~250 long, with main spans of ~100m. That works out to $6700 per m2. If I assume a "subway" bridge would be 10m wide, so that's $67M per km of bridge.
Nipigon River Bridge in northern Ontario was a 250m long cable stayed bridge that costs $106M (plus some extras :)), or $115M per km (when converted to a 10m wide bridge). This really wasn't the best type of bridge for the location, so of course it cost more.
If you want the SkyBridge in Vancouver on the Canada Line, it is a cable stayed bridge that cost $55M (in 2018$) and is 616m long, with a main span of 340m - so about $90M/km.

If I had to put a number on it, I would say that elevated transit along the side of road (let's say Eglinton) would be about $50M per km - ignoring stations. This would be a real cookie cutter bridge with spans of 35 to 40m and precast concrete. (If you have real long runs, then precast sentimental, as was done in Vancouver, is worthwhile, but you likely need over 2 or 3 km before that's worthwhile. Larger spans up to 150m cost maybe twice this amount. Span up to 400m likely double in cost again. You also pay a bit more if you chose the wrong bridge type. For example, for 150m, a balanced cantilever bridge works well. A cable stay bridge is typically for spans >300m, so if used for this short span, you would pay more. There is an extradosed bridge which is basically a cable stay bridge with short towers and its designed differently, but that may fit into the 150m range.

All-in-all, at ~400m in length, you are likely looking at $40M (add $10M for misc grading work, and another $10M for contingency) for the bridge, so I am not sure if there is that much to save. Try to save $20M and risk people not liking the view of very short spans or that multiple embankments are blocking the view and it's not even worth going there.
If you give the Contractor (or P3 proponent) free reign then of course they will find every penny to save, so the contract must be written well to prevent this where aesthetics are important.

@BurlOak, the Millwood (aka: Leaside) bridge (pictured) is a double-truss bridge (upper-deck host roadway, lower deck is empty!), somewhat simillar to the older Prince Edward Viaduct 2.5km southwest, a double-truss arc bridge where upper-deck host roadway & lower-deck host Bloor-Danforth SUBWAY line 50 years after bridge was built). Could Millwood bridge's lower-deck host a "narrow new vehicle technology"???
View attachment 182197

Part of lower truss is load-bearing (solid I-beam horizontal support in foreground), but other parts are not (thinner I-beam shaped horizontal supports in background). For lower truss to be used to host narrow rapid transit, it'll have to be strengthen.
View attachment 182198

View attachment 182199

View attachment 182200

Since Ontario Line will utilize new narrower vehicle technology (instead of those FatAss TTC Subway cars) it might even go right on the roadway of the Millwood Bridge!
"In the late 1960s, as the first of numerous plans appeared to extend Leslie Street south of Eglinton, plans were initiated to widen the bridge to support six lanes of traffic. The bridge was closed beginning September 16, 1968, and reopened February 8, 1969.[4] Girders were attached to the sides of the bridge to widen the deck to either side[3] and the piers were reinforced on the corners to carry the additional weight."
Of course, Leslie Street was never extended southeast of Eglinton to Millwood bridge; 50 years later, now any talk of extending Leslie Street south of Eglinton is to the southwest connecting to Bayview Ave for a more easier route to downtown core.
IMO, while the area has traffic congestion getting to the bridge, the wide road on the upper-deck of the bridge currently has capacity to spare - Since Ontario Line will utilize new narrower vehicle technology (instead of those FatAss TTC Subway cars) it might even go right on the roadway of the Millwood Bridge!

Interesting thread from 6.5 years ago on possibility of utilizing Millwood/Leaside bridge for DRL:
  • I don't know the design of this precisely, but I those solid beams are where the wind loading becomes larger (near the supports), while the open ones are where the wind forces are less. It looks to me that towards the middle of the spans, they have the open latticed bracing. I don't think that is strong enough to carry streetcars, so I assume when they say that the bridge was designed for rail traffic underdeck, they mean that the main trusses would be designed for the additional weight, but they transverse members between the trusses would have to be strengthened or replaced.
  • I understand that some of the additional capacity of this bridge has been used up with the addition of the extra lanes.
  • This bridge has pretty short spans - maybe 40m, while the Prince Edward Viaduct has main span of almost 100m. For, the shorter bridges, the self weight of the bridge is pretty small, and extra traffic would add a large percentage to the load on the bridge. For the longer spans, most of the loading is from self-weight, so designing for extra traffic load likely only requires minor strengthening. If the extra capacity is already used up, it means a whole set of additional strengthening.
  • Generally, I doubt its worth making any alterations or strengthening to a 100 year old bridge, as the remaining life may not be as great as we hoped for. I did toy with the idea of using this bridge in the past, but I don't think I want to rely on a 100 year old bridge to support a transit line that we want for 100+ years going forward.

Back