Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I see lots of discussion questioning why we are tunneling on many of the suburban lines. Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

Hm, I don't think I mentioned anything about wrongs/rights. I asked a question to cplchanb. Why you're answering I'm not sure.

Hm, I don't think I mentioned anything about wrongs/rights. I asked a question to cplchanb. Why you're answering I'm not sure.
You questioned the existence of posts, not those specifically made by that user. There is a private message function if you want to have a private conversation.

You questioned the existence of posts, not those specifically made by that user. There is a private message function if you want to have a private conversation.

I pointed out the irony of a poster's post, and followed it up with a question. On a message board. Still not sure why you're hung up on it or answering for said poster.

If they extend, will they need additional maintenance facilities or just storage? I'd guess they are only taking the land that they need in Thorncliffe Park and plan to find additional land when the extensions happen. I could see there being 2 phases of extension:
Phase 1 to Sheppard (Don Mills Station) - They can likely find additional land for storage around York Mills Rd
Phase 2 to Steeles (Elevated along the 404) - Plenty of industrial land around the Steeles-404 interchange to use for a second MSF

They could make do with just storage at a separate site if necessary.
SkyTrain has a small storage only yard on the Evergreen Line . Maintenance is still over at Edmonds.

If they extend, will they need additional maintenance facilities or just storage? I'd guess they are only taking the land that they need in Thorncliffe Park and plan to find additional land when the extensions happen. I could see there being 2 phases of extension:
Phase 1 to Sheppard (Don Mills Station) - They can likely find additional land for storage around York Mills Rd
Phase 2 to Steeles (Elevated along the 404) - Plenty of industrial land around the Steeles-404 interchange to use for a second MSF
I think if they go past Don Mills, the logical place to go is Markham Centre, which could become another mobility hub on the 407 transitway and connection to GO.

I think if they go past Don Mills, the logical place to go is Markham Centre, which could become another mobility hub on the 407 transitway and connection to GO.
Also rail access to a fairly important tech hub in the region.

Screenshot 2021-04-16 015007.png
Ontario Line north.png

heres a concept of how it could get to downtown Markham i made a while ago. Mainly uses hydro corridors and CN rail ROW north of finch while still serving the area pretty well. Blue is elevate and orange is at grade btw. There's tonnes of industrial lands in the north that could be used for a second msf without anyone batting an eye

Maybe with Steeles BRT it would make sense to create an office node in that current employment area.

View attachment 313004View attachment 313005
heres a concept of how it could get to downtown Markham i made a while ago. Mainly uses hydro corridors and CN rail ROW north of finch while still serving the area pretty well. Blue is elevate and orange is at grade btw. There's tonnes of industrial lands in the north that could be used for a second msf without anyone batting an eye
I mean eh... personally I think going up Leslie and terminating at Leslie/Highway 7 makes more sense. You still have a Transitway connection, you get to service a somewhat major techhub, most of the land is undevelopped so redevelopment potential is massive, and while we do miss the GO Train connection, I do feel like it makes more sense to keep the Ontario Line as its own separate North South Arterial that parallels the Stouffville Line rather than trying to make them overlap.

They could make do with just storage at a separate site if necessary.
SkyTrain has a small storage only yard on the Evergreen Line . Maintenance is still over at Edmonds.
Having two facilities greatly increases the costs to operate the service, too. TTC estimated about 20 years ago that it cost them $3mil per year to "run" a facility, regardless of its size - and no doubt this number is higher today. This was just for heating, lights, etc. - and not the actually provision of service.

In the case of the Skytrain network, because their network is so much larger they came to the realization that the cost of the second facility was outweighed by the additional deadheading of equipment that was required, and so they made the decision to build the second yard.

Dan

View attachment 313005
I would suggest looking at using the rail corridor north of Lawrence between the potential for a surface ROW and gaining a connection to Old Cummer GO.

Much as I'd like the OL to succeed, I don't think it'll have enough capacity if extended so far north. Intercepting all those busy east west buses will probably overload it by Sheppard.
Won't the Stouffville line take some of that slack as well? If we had fare integration we could have buses feeding into it as well.

Having two facilities greatly increases the costs to operate the service, too. TTC estimated about 20 years ago that it cost them $3mil per year to "run" a facility, regardless of its size - and no doubt this number is higher today. This was just for heating, lights, etc. - and not the actually provision of service.

In the case of the Skytrain network, because their network is so much larger they came to the realization that the cost of the second facility was outweighed by the additional deadheading of equipment that was required, and so they made the decision to build the second yard.

Dan

With automation, they could also store trains on sidings or at elevated terminus stations without having to worry about a driver getting home. I don't know if OL has any sidings planned though. SkyTrain trains are often stored on sidings or tail tracks.

TransLink will be building OMC4 on a site between Lougheed Town Centre and Braid Station spurred on by the new order for 5-car trains, plus the extension to Langley City will also have a storage yard.

First article below has pics of the existing yards, and the second article shows the future site.

Last edited:

Back