News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

Yeah, lines should diverge in the suburbs, not converge.

Also, after some thought, I changed my mind on the potential Line 2 Extension along McCowan into Markham, as it is redundant when you take into the Stouffville Line, even though 15 min Two Way All Day doesn’t reach Centennial Station but that’s another discussion. While unrealistic, a Line 2 extension to Highway 7 should really end at Cornell Terminal at Ninth Line.

That would make some sense, or possibly the Markville Mall.

Very well said. In nearly every city transit converges in the core of the city, ie. the most dense part of the metropolitan area (population and jobs).

True. Unless they have another major destination.

I could see more than 1 line converging on Pearson, and Pickering Airport(if it ever gets built.) as they are major destinations.

Frankly, if we discount the flexibility granted to us due to the existing rail corridor, the business case for extending the Relief Line past Steeles is pretty poor.

Very true. Most of that area off Markham are single family dwelling subdivsions.

I decided to map some of the Relief Line North branching ideas that were suggested in the previous couple of pages, in the Transit Fantasy thread.

I think the Scarborough Town Centre branch makes quite a bit of sense from a network perspective, potentially even as a complete alternative over the Don Mills corridor. However, if it was a standalone line (no branching) it would be too far east to properly relieve feeder bus routes to the Yonge Line.

I would have it veer north east from Don Mills and Eglinton to have a stop at VP and Lawrence and then Ellesmere and Agincourt and north east from there.

I would have it veer north east from Don Mills and Eglinton to have a stop at VP and Lawrence and then Ellesmere and Agincourt and north east from there.

I really don't get this idea. The purpose of the DRL North is to offload the Yonge line and relieve the serious congestion at Yonge/Bloor. If the the DRL veered to the north-east it would intersect Smart Track and the SSE (potential riders will be well served with these options to the core) and will not be an option for riders between the DVP/404 and Yonge who currently take the Yonge Line.
For these two reasons, the options being considered for the DRL North are between Vic Park and Yonge.

I really don't get this idea. The purpose of the DRL North is to offload the Yonge line and relieve the serious congestion at Yonge/Bloor. If the the DRL veered to the north-east it would intersect Smart Track and the SSE (potential riders will be well served with these options to the core) and will not be an option for riders between the DVP/404 and Yonge who currently take the Yonge Line.
For these two reasons, the options being considered for the DRL North are between Vic Park and Yonge.

Even if DRL north continues diagonally north-east once it crosses Eglinton, it will still relief Yonge. Currently, people take long trips on the westbound bus routes to reach Yonge. With another downtown-bound subway intersepting those routes, many riders will transfer before they reach Yonge. Some will even take a bus trip in the reverse direction, for example from Finch & Vic Park to Finch & Warden, if the DRL subway station is there.

Both Don Mills and Vic Park are sensible routes for DRL North, but I wouldn't dismiss the diagonal option either.

Even if DRL north continues diagonally north-east once it crosses Eglinton, it will still relief Yonge. Currently, people take long trips on the westbound bus routes to reach Yonge. With another downtown-bound subway intersepting those routes, many riders will transfer before they reach Yonge. Some will even take a bus trip in the reverse direction, for example from Finch & Vic Park to Finch & Warden, if the DRL subway station is there.

Both Don Mills and Vic Park are sensible routes for DRL North, but I wouldn't dismiss the diagonal option either.

The bus routing east of Yonge will dictate whether RLN will be effective to relieve Yonge Line.

The Relief Line Update report is available at this link.

1548970217125.png

1548970251903.png

1548970280388.png

1548970305425.png

Three points from me.

1) The Relief Line South needs to be completed BEFORE the Line 1 Yonge extension construction is started.​
2) The Relief Line North needs to be constructed at the SAME time as the Line 1 Yonge extension.​
3) The Relief Line North has to be constructed to at LEAST Sheppard Avenue.​

The Relief Line Update report is available at this link.

View attachment 172715

View attachment 172716

View attachment 172717

View attachment 172718

Three points from me.

1) The Relief Line South needs to be completed BEFORE the Line 1 Yonge extension construction is started.​
2) The Relief Line North needs to be constructed at the SAME time as the Line 1 Yonge extension.​
3) The Relief Line North has to be constructed to at LEAST Sheppard Avenue.​
I’m disappointed that there isn’t a demand and ridership graph for Relief Line North only. :mad:

I'd like to suggest that this thread now only be used for speculation about the line north of Eglinton now, as supposedly the Ontario Line will be built up to Eglinton in one fell swoop.

You can find the man Ontario Line thread here.

Back