News   Mar 28, 2024
 598     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 433     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 762     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

Really the rest of the video is absurd. Someone who doesn't know anything about Canada (beyond the wikipedia page) commenting on an alternate history of the country breaking up. I laughed out loud when he suggested Newfoundland and Quebec would form a union.
There's a reason why the YouTuber's named General Knowledge, not Overly Specific Knowledge and not Field Marshal Knowledge.

Likewise, Bright Side, another major educational YouTube channel, also doesn't know anything about Canada outside of glancing at Wikipedia:

Major omissions: The Bright Side video mentions completely nothing about the ubiquity of Tim Hortons nor the contributions of Banting & Best (co-invented insulin) nor James Naismith (invented basketball) and the fact that there's plenty of rude Canadians and palm trees can grow outdoors unprotected in Vancouver and Victoria.

Last edited:
It's not really knowledge then, just a bunch of uninformed speculation. Brightside is a content farm, kind of like those advertorials you see at the bottom of news sites ("this local mom has this one weird trick, doctors hate her').

@Lone Primate I like what you did with my original design! I think I prefer a more restrained palette but I understand the logic of using familiar colours (and it still looks good), and I agree with flipping it, now that I've learned a bit more about flag design, so thanks for that.

I think if we wait until HM passes we may see many nation's changing their flags from versions of the UK's Union flag (it's only a jack if it's on a ship, i.e. jackstaff). We might get some good ideas here.
Don't think any new provincial flags would show up with any (Progressive) Conservative or right-wing provincial government in charge.

I'm not sure there are any real royalists in Canada any more. There are people who oppose it on principle and people who are are indifferent to the status quo or fear the alternatives are worse.

I think you may be surprised. Not necessarily in support of the royal family but the Constitutional Monarchy form of government. My concern is those, and I think there are many, who think dropping the Monarchy will simply be a matter of writing a note to the palace saying we don't want to play anymore. It will be a highly disruptive, divisive constitutional re-structuring to get rid of something that currently costs us virtually nothing. All to make us feel, what, all growed up?

I think you may be surprised. Not necessarily in support of the royal family but the Constitutional Monarchy form of government. My concern is those, and I think there are many, who think dropping the Monarchy will simply be a matter of writing a note to the palace saying we don't want to play anymore. It will be a highly disruptive, divisive constitutional re-structuring to get rid of something that currently costs us virtually nothing. All to make us feel, what, all growed up?
Darn! I would like to see Prince Harry as the next Governor-General of Canada.

I agree. We should also redesign our license plates because the current white plates are generic. Even the phrase "Yours to Discover" seems meaningless and forgettable.
I guess I’m here to ask, what do you think about the new license plates? You’ve spoken this into existence.

I personally think they should of thought this through thoroughly, because they are a hot mess. You can barely make out the plate numbers at night, yet alone the background colour is highly distracting.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

I guess I’m here to ask, what do you think about the new license plates? You’ve spoken this into existence.

I personally think they should of thought this through thoroughly, because they are a hot mess. You can barely make out the plate numbers at night, yet alone the background colour is highly distracting.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

It was a good idea to redesign the licence plates because of the old design’s uninspiring blandness, but the execution was atrocious. The new design still doesn’t say much about the province and is impractical because of the legibility issues.

I think far too much public time, money and effort is put into vehicle licence plates as some sort of government vanity project. It is just a registration identifier and I'm not sure why we choose to bling it up. Identifiers for most other forms of transportation, such as vessels, aircraft, etc. are simply a string of characters.

I think far too much public time, money and effort is put into vehicle licence plates as some sort of government vanity project. It is just a registration identifier and I'm not sure why we choose to bling it up. Identifiers for most other forms of transportation, such as vessels, aircraft, etc. are simply a string of characters.

Agreed, waste of tax dollars that could go towards helping the homeless in the city or the battered small businesses suffering through Covid

Agreed, waste of tax dollars that could go towards helping the homeless in the city or the battered small businesses suffering through Covid
Well I'm not sure it would have freed up a whole lot of money, but it did smack of insignificant branding even in the days before Covid. Similar to new governments changing the look of highway construction/public project signs or changing ministry names.

Back