News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Ont Gov't building at 880 Bay, at Grosvenor St (ORC, 44s?, WZMH)

Common sense...I think most off us will agree that there is no way this development will fly when Ontario's $18.7 billion deficit is in the spotlight, yeah this could be a reality down the line.

Then again, as it's stated in the Toronto Accomodation Plan for the Ontario Government, there is a lot of office space that is currently leased and the amount of space needed is projected to grow. Long term this could lead to significant savings.

presumably the purpose of the project was to save money long-term by consolidating into one building. Maybe they can sell off some of the previous real estate assuming they owned.

Agreed. Building for the sake of building, or building to fulfill the fantasies of a few keyboard-jockeying skyscraper fanatics isn't what's best for the city. Especially when the final design (if this is indeed it - Peter would be doing the subterranean spin were he to see what the firm has devolved to - boo WZMH) looks worse than the massing studies from an earlier date.

I thought this one was one of those towers that looks like it had been cut and then repositioned? They completely changed the design.

Khristopher, you're referring to the images below, of course. Those came from initial massing studies that &Co where contracted to do.

880bay5.jpg

880bay4.jpg

880bay3.jpg

880bay2.jpg

880bay1.jpg

It seems that &Co were not contracted to push the design further.

I thought this one was one of those towers that looks like it had been cut and then repositioned? They completely changed the design.

The earlier design you're thinking of was never a real proposal; it was merely a conceptual rendering. The line drawing for the current design proposal has been out for months. The link is somewhere in this thread.

My understanding is that the Ontario government owns that big lot at Yonge and Wellesley..why not build this tower a bit taller say 60 storeys at that location, and unload the existing block with those four derlict buildings to a condo developer.

If you mean the lot on the south side of Wellesley west of Yonge Street's shops, no, it is not owned by the Ontario Government. It's owned by Morguard Properties, and there's a thread for it here.

If you mean the lot on the south side of Wellesley west of Yonge Street's shops, no, it is not owned by the Ontario Government. It's owned by Morguard Properties, and there's a thread for it here.

No proof that this is in fact true, but in my condo meeting we were told that Morguard has sold the property and it is falling into the hands of the City. There is some legal entanglings because the remaining buildings Morguard was supposed to build are not complete and are never going to be complete. This complicates the "shared elements" plan that was intended for all of the buildings.

Back