News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 500     1 

Ont Gov't building at 880 Bay, at Grosvenor St (ORC, 44s?, WZMH)

Whether they intend on going ahead with this in one year or ten years, planning applications were submitted and this meeting is following the process involved with making such applications.

A nice day walking by
pKLts.jpg

Some additional details on the revised proposal (March 31 revisions):

• The floor-plate has been reduced in length by 11m (previously 95m now 84m)
  • The change in floor-plate length results in a new 4.25m setback from Bay Street
  • New Bay Street set-back lines up evenly with facade of the Burano tower to the south
  • New set-back from Bay allows for a row of trees and additional land-scaping
  • Set-back from Hepburn block grows from 39m to 46m
  • Density remains 80,662 square meters (867,000 square feet)
  • Height is increased from 175m inc mech penthouse (39s) to 192m (44s)

Other project details - although there has been NO detailed design at this point - the application is for a zoning b/l amendment - (No OPA is required) they haven't proceeded to site plan nor has WZMH actually been commissioned to design the tower. ORC intends to move forward with zoning b/l amendments and to scope out many aspects of the project prior to proceeding with details design work.

Other items of interest:

• Proposed density is 9.65x (Murano & Burano are ~15x)
  • Set-back on Grosvenor to align with Hepburn set-back
  • arcade system that is common through-out various provincial govt buildings will continue through new development
  • Sec 37 does not apply for government office buildings
  • Min LEED Silver, but Gold and possibly LEED Platinum are under consideration
  • 60% Green roof -rest of roof is reflective
  • North facing core structure to give maximum exposure of office space to south sunward facing facade
  • Each facade is likely to be treated differently to address sustainability
  • East facade - sun shades being examined
  • West facade - fritted glass being examined
  • South (sun facing) facade to have horizontal sun shade for reduced summer heat gain as well as daylight & glare aspects addressed
  • 40% of site is open space
  • 397 bike parking spots - some underground, some on grosvenor and some in a new courtyard off Bay St.
  • Set-back off Grosvenor to be landscaped and additional trees to create 'gateway' to Queen's Park

Thanks for the summary Mike - Project End and I were there too, and you've saved us from doing the write-up ourselves.

I can add that the local residents are terribly concerned about the shadows this building will cast, and unconvinced that it will not adversely affect an already windy street. Much concern was also expressed about the fate of all the trees that will be planted around this project, and opposite it on the other side of Bay: it seems the City has not been doing a good job explaining that there are now much more stringent requirements for meant to ensure the health of new sidewalk tree plantings.

Someone else during the Q&A portion asked if the tower's floorplate could be further diminished, and the building made still higher, while maintaining the density. If that wasn't a UTer making a speech, that person is missing his people (but I think odds are that was a UTer... so let us know if that was you!)

^ Yeah that was me (I also mentioned the soil cell system that is being installed on Bloor street should strongly be considered for any trees planted on Bay Street and Grosvenor Streets).

I'm sorry we didn't stay long enough to meet you Mike - another time!

It's still a slab, and it's gonna stay a slab: it's 84 metres west to east, 20-ish north to south.

Much concern was also expressed about the fate of all the trees that will be planted around this project, and opposite it on the other side of Bay

Those trees across the street on Bay have been dead for over 5 years now at both Allegro and Opera Place. No wonder the residents don't believe what they hear.

I just hope the trees in front of the current gov buildings can be saved. They are very mature and tall.

That corner will be completely transformed in a few years. 880 bay, plus Burano plus the new women's college hospital, it will be unrecognizable compared to what's there today.

Back