News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Old doc on the CN Turbo

I'm not entirely sure why the speeds have been reduced. The P42s are just as capable of reaching the 100mph top speed as the LRC locomotives and there have been no speed limit reductions as far as I know. The entire Kingston Sub is fairly high quality continuously welded rail, so that shouldn't be an issue. They really need more of the express trains, though. I worked in Montreal for a while and my boss told me that he often likes to take the Metropolis but if it doesn't fit into his schedule he flies because 5+ hours is just too long.

I spoke with an on-board attendant last fall concerning the time discrepancy, and he explained that it was partly to do with the new Renaissance cars now being used, since many of the LRC cars are out of service for refurbishment. I know the LRC cars have the centrifugal banking system, but didn't realize it's so critical to getting up to 95mph. It was his thought that the 3h59m schedule would return once this run is fully back to LRC cars. Whether this is fact or conjecture is hard to tell.

The Renaissance cars should be more than capable of going 95mph. They were built to operate through the Channel Tunnel.

The Renaissance cars should be more than capable of going 95mph. They were built to operate through the Channel Tunnel.
True, but strictly for a proposed overnight service. Perhaps it has to do with modifications made for North American gauge, and/or FRA requirements, although from what I know, these cars are not FRA-compliant.

I just took the Renaissance from Montreal to Toronto (took the old steel "classic") from Toronto Montreal. I have to say I'm really disappointed. Even in Via 1 there's a real lack of leg room. The seats are a lot more narrow. There's only one bathroom in some of the cars (only 1 in Via 1 when I rode). There's really small over heads although you can seem to get a lot under your seat. The seats are jacked up pretty high and it's hard to stand up. You have to sort of jump into the aisle to stand. Which means you first have to crane your neck around to make sure no one is coming. I can see how these things might be okay for a short chunnel trip but 5+ hours between Toronto and Montreal, it's a fail in my opinion. the Via page also seemed to indicate Via 1 you had access to a special cafe car but that was not in evidence. That might have made the trip a little more pleasant.

I'll post some photos at lunch time.

^I agree. I took the Rennaisance cars from Ottawa to Montreal, which is a short enough ride that it's bearable. From Toronto to Montreal, I would have a tough time in those seats - particularly because the step up and the low overhead bin kind of put you in a claustrophobic space.

I can't imagine what it must be like to sit in one of those coaches from Montreal to Halifax.

On another note: why can't VIA run at least one train an hour to Montreal? The demand is there, the short distance means that there is basically no other competitor apart from driving yourself and sitting on an awful Greyhound bus, and VIA even owns the majority of the track.

Last edited:
I just took the Renaissance from Montreal to Toronto (took the old steel "classic") from Toronto Montreal. I have to say I'm really disappointed. Even in Via 1 there's a real lack of leg room. The seats are a lot more narrow. There's only one bathroom in some of the cars (only 1 in Via 1 when I rode). There's really small over heads although you can seem to get a lot under your seat. The seats are jacked up pretty high and it's hard to stand up. You have to sort of jump into the aisle to stand. Which means you first have to crane your neck around to make sure no one is coming. I can see how these things might be okay for a short chunnel trip but 5+ hours between Toronto and Montreal, it's a fail in my opinion. the Via page also seemed to indicate Via 1 you had access to a special cafe car but that was not in evidence. That might have made the trip a little more pleasant..
As I mentioned in my prior post, the Renaissance trains being on the Montreal-Toronto run is only until the LRCs have been refurbished. The Renaissance trains are not set up very well for the corridor runs, mostly due to the lack of galleys.

There is a service car for VIA 1 passengers, but there are only about 6 seats, so it fills up very quickly.

Ah it's comforting to know the Renaissance cars are only a stop gap until the LRC cars are back. The trip I took I couldn't see a service car. There was a far forward of the Via 1 section but it looked like it was only a galley for the crew and you couldn't go beyond the galley. I'm not very tall (5'7") and even I found the leg room challenging for a friggen train. I've had more leg room on a Korea Rail train designed when Koreans were all 5'4". The instructions for where to put your bags isn't really clear as the seat diagram doesn't match the odd ski jump seat platform. The only thing I like is the food tray can be folded back by half, allowing you the ability to have the tray "down" but still be able to move in and out of your seat.

Attachments

• Img_4938.jpg
    Img_4938.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Img_4936.jpg
    Img_4936.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Img_4979.jpg
    Img_4979.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Img_4971.jpg
    Img_4971.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Img_4955.jpg
    Img_4955.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Img_4935.jpg
    Img_4935.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Img_4948.jpg
    Img_4948.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Img_4932.jpg
    Img_4932.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Img_4929.jpg
    Img_4929.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Img_4958.jpg
    Img_4958.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Img_4930.jpg
    Img_4930.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Img_4970.jpg
    Img_4970.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Ah it's comforting to know the Renaissance cars are only a stop gap until the LRC cars are back. The trip I took I couldn't see a service car. There was a far forward of the Via 1 section but it looked like it was only a galley for the crew and you couldn't go beyond the galley.
That is the service car - if you go straight through it it's the galley, but if you turn right, it takes you down a corridor to the lounge. You can see a diagram of the car here: http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/renaissance-service-car.

Ah crap. I might have enjoyed my ride a lot more if I had been bolder! Doh. Anyone notice Via 1 is always 90% male passengers?

I have a different view of the stations. While some of the renovations might be a bit dubious, a lot of them are great. The historic Kitchener station used to be a dismal yellow acoustic-tiled nightmare. Now it's been magnificently restored with a wonderful high ceiling and all the moulding intact. Ottawa also received a much-needed sensitive reno. VIA has also done a very creditable job with onboard service. I've ridden trains all over the world and I can say without exaggeration that the VIA trains are probably the most pleasant and comfortable that I've experienced. They also have features like free wi-fi that the Europeans are only slowly figuring out. The trains are slow and infrequent, but at least they're pretty pleasant while you're on board.

The Ottawa reno is coming along quite nicely. It is still one of my favorite stations anywhere and I often arrive a bit earlier than need be just because its a cool station to hang out in (assigned seating on trains between Montreal and Ottawa and now some of the Toronto bound trains has made waiting that much more pleasurable, if not unnecessary).

I agree with VIA having some of the coziest and most relaxing cabins. It is one of the few trains I have been on with closable, overhead bins (maybe even the only one), which I find adds to the comfort, along with Wi-Fi and the VIA 1 service. The paintings/pictures at each end of the cabin are also a nice touch.

Watching the Turbo Doc also made me realize how important customer service has been in the past as well. I don't think I was ever on a Turbo (I would have been 4 when they were retired) but watching that video made me wish I had the chance too. Even compared to some of the videos of the TGV in France from around the same time (actuallly closer to 1980/81) the service and interiors were top notch.

The film does show one thing: Canada can do high speed rail. Unfortunately betting on the Turbo over electrified high speed networks set back Canada a few decades. But HSR will happen and when it does, if it is half as cool as what came out of the Turbo era, it will really be something worth waiting for.

Back