News   Jul 12, 2024
 433     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Old City Hall Proposals

With all the talks about the future of the Old City Hall, why don't we make it a central library for the city? Reference Library is not particularly valuable from architectural perspective and can be sold for reasonable amounts, given its location. Old City Hall is perfect for a Central Library: its location, architecture and floorplans. We can even have a bright atrium at the place of the yard.

Though I think you're selling the existing library short, architecturally (and mythically) speaking.

Museum/archives/City Hall branch + urban affairs library would be great. Maybe move planning there too?

AoD
Awesome idea. And with so many people living downtown there's enough traffic for 2 big DT branches. (That inner courtyard would make for an inspiring reading room.)

It's not that bad inside, but that blank brick wall fronting Yonge is revolting.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "revolting", even if it was a Moriyama compromise (and Moriyama Jr.'s entrance cube doesn't help things). In fact, its well-crafted warm'n'fuzzy Aalto tone has always nicely announced the interior volume in an eternally comfy 70s way...

The outside of the TRL is not on any list of my favourite buildings, the exterior being very much a product of its time, but the Moriyama design (both in and out) has received a fair share of acclaim over the years. One is entitled to disagree, of course, but "revolting" is hardly fair criticism, and the interiors are substantially more interesting and better than "not that bad".

The outside of the TRL is not on any list of my favourite buildings, the exterior being very much a product of its time, but the Moriyama design (both in and out) has received a fair share of acclaim over the years. One is entitled to disagree, of course, but "revolting" is hardly fair criticism, and the interiors are substantially more interesting and better than "not that bad".

I like how the exterior has this quality

13735957_756483354493385_2062368792_n.jpg

The city has finally... FINALLY!!!!... accepted that people want to walk across the front lawn of Old City Hall.

IMG_1514.JPG

I guess they've eventually been shamed into cleaning up the muddy beaten paths in front of one of our most visited landmarks.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 568
I don’t mind the lawn but it’s incomprehensible why they don’t just add another metre to the Queen Street sidewalk to match the wide sidewalks on either side in front of Nathan Phillips Sq and in front of the Eaton Centre. At the very least, move the streetcar stop into a cut out in the grass. The city owns the land!

This probably really is just a patch job done by the Parks department, rather than any long-term fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.EX30.8

The Deputy City Manager, Internal Corporate Services, and the Chief Purchasing Officer recommend that:

1. Council direct the Deputy City Manager Internal Corporate Services to further develop a design and plans for Old City Hall that include a Museum of Toronto, a Toronto Public Library branch and wedding chamber with complementary uses such as a museum café and shop, public event space, and institutional uses, consistent with Option 3 as set out in this report.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_10-51-58.png
    upload_2018-1-17_10-51-58.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 560
  • upload_2018-1-17_10-52-10.png
    upload_2018-1-17_10-52-10.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 872
  • upload_2018-1-17_10-52-20.png
    upload_2018-1-17_10-52-20.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 710
  • upload_2018-1-17_10-52-31.png
    upload_2018-1-17_10-52-31.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 529
The proposed new Library branch is significant. Going from 5,000 sq ft at City Hall to 25,000 sq ft at Old City Hall.

One could reasonably infer the move would also come w/full service District Branch hours.

A museum of Toronto is also very welcome.

I wonder about giving consideration to save one court room for the benefit of movie/tv production ..... not in the report.........just saying.

Proposed Path Connection to Eaton Ctr/Trinity Ctr Path.

Cost $12M

Hmmm, not sure about the value here.

Were this to be done, I think it would need to feature a massively upgraded connection to TEC; vibrant retail in Trinity Ctr; and maybe a path connection under Bay St. to City Hall.

Back