OCAD U: Sharp Centre for Design (Will Alsop) COMPLETE

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Star, by Hume:

Alsop's eccentric 'tabletop' does Toronto proud

Jul 07, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Not many buildings can change a city, but Will Alsop's "Flying Tabletop" is one of them.

Officially known as the Sharp Design Centre, this is Toronto's celebrated building on legs that hovers above the Ontario College of Art and Design on McCaul St.

Though reviled at first, it has become a genuine civic icon, one of a handful of structures that define our city.

And let's make something clear; this has nothing to do with popularity per se. Though most Torontonians seem quite fond of the eccentric, but actually very practical, addition, its significance goes beyond being liked. If this building changed Toronto, it's because of what it says: namely, that the city can be bold, that we do have the capacity to break new ground.

But as a new exhibition – Will Alsop: An Urban Manifesto – at Montreal's Canadian Centre for Architecture makes clear, the Sharp Centre went through a number of incarnations before taking on its final form.

In the beginning, Alsop seems to have thrown everything he could muster into the project. The show includes posters, drawings and models of a multi-coloured structure covered from top to bottom in forms and shapes whose purpose is never clear.

It documents a design process in which an idea is pared down to essentials. Thus the gaudy box originally envisioned becomes simplified in black and white. The box itself was cleaned up, and much of the stuff removed. No question that what finally got built was vastly superior. No one would agree more than Alsop himself.

"I saw it for the first time in a while," the British architect said on a recent trip to Toronto. "I must say, it looked f------ great, better than I remember."

The exhibition came about, according to CCA director Mirko Zardini, because he wanted to acknowledge an important building.

"There are few projects in North America that I feel are interesting," he states. "If a building doesn't add anything to a city, it doesn't matter. Architects here in Montreal are obsessed with the objects. Alsop goes beyond these limits.

"I also like the idea that he doesn't need a lot of money to do something. OCAD is a good example; you can do brilliant things with not much money. It's a very simple exhibition, but I thought it was important to pay homage to Alsop and his building."

At the same time that the Sharp Centre has helped Torontonians re-imagine their city, it has also caught the world's attention. It has been featured in publications from Time to The New Yorker. And when he gave a talk recently in Lisbon, Alsop discovered that "everyone knew OCAD."

The brilliance of the building lies in its ability to function as an icon while solving a number of practical issues and enhancing the experience of the city. It's not just a pretty face, it's hard-working. The best architecture is not just object or space, but both.

In Toronto, as in most cities, we tend to expect one or the other. Rarely do we encounter a project that does all the above.

As Zardini argues, however, in an age when cities are more critical than ever to human survival, we urgently need architecture that's connected, contextual and compact. The splendid isolation so often associated with contemporary architecture will no longer suffice.

Though some might be tempted to dismiss OCAD as all playfulness, they confuse lack of solemnity with lack of seriousness. Alsop's building speaks to the big questions of our time, questions about what kind of a city we want and how to create it.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca.

http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Columnist/article/455422

AoD

I love it too! I must admit, however, that when I first saw the drawings for it I thought it was some sort of joke; it looked like some "Star Wars" machine come to do us harm. Now, when I'm in that neck of the concrete jungle, I make a point of visiting it...maybe just to make sure it hasn't walked away.:p

"Oh, Cad..."

barsinister.JPG

Ugh!

I've never liked this building. I suppose I understand it's funky design with the "pencils", etc. since it's the OCAD, but the engineer in me just can't accept the countless stories of wasted space.

I love this building too. I suspect many negative opinions of it stem from the horrible renderings that were released when the project started. The final product looks much better. I hope everyone makes an effort to see the real thing before judging too harshly.

Sure, it's kooky, but it's an art college, so why not have some fun with it? I disagree with the "wasted space" assessment. Raising the box on stilts adds square footage without eating up any of the park-like public space on the ground around it, and without creating a bunker-like building that infringes too close to the street. Inside the box itself, the layout is quite conventional: just, uh, a box divided into rooms. I can't say I noticed any "wasted space", although maybe I wasn't looking hard enough...

...wasted space...

That's like saying that a 10 story building has wasted space above it where it could have been a 15, 20 or 50 story building. The OCAD building has the amount of space the College was looking for and managed to do it without taking up space on the ground. So the space is in the air instead of on the ground...that doesn't mean that anything is 'wasted'.

countless stories of wasted space.

You've lots of tales of wasted space at OCAD, or do you mean countless storeys of wasted space?

I'm sorry. I hate to be one of those people who nitpiks about spelling and grammar, especially since my own is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but this thread was giving me a headache. In Canada, a storey is the floor or a building, and a story is what a parent reads their child at bedtime.

It's not for everyone, but it's a really courageous and inspiring design. Would love to see more exciting architecture like this in Toronto!

I am highly impressed with this building, and I certainly don't understand complaints about "wasted space". The opposite is true. It's pretty difficult to use the same space as both a park / greenspace and as a functional building. Alsop has managed to do that.

While I personally don't like the visual aspects of the building, I really enjoy what this building does for the city through its creative and unique architecture.

robbiedigital might be referring to the fact that one could have built a conventional structure that would utilize all the space between the original building and the tabletop - or that a structure with the same floor space could be built using less materials (e.g. Steel) than such an unconventional structure. Not wrong.

That said, architecture is not just engineering. Santiago Calatrava has been criticized for designing structures that aren't necessarily the most efficient in the use of materials - BUT - they are literally works of art - and humans need that.

AoD

That's like saying that a 10 story building has wasted space above it where it could have been a 15, 20 or 50 story building.
Or that the TD Centre has wasted space all around it where it could have filled the block to the streetline...

but the engineer in me just can't accept the countless stories of wasted space.

Yeah, air IS the ultimate waste of space. (Insert air-head joke here.)

But why the hate for all the stories about it? Some of them are actually pretty gripping: , "Gone with the WIND", "Who Has Seen the WIND", and finally, "Into thin AIR"--the breathtaking first person account of the 1996 Mount Everest climbing disaster that claimed 8 lives.

Back