News   May 28, 2024
 853     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 454     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 817     1 

Nuit Blanche

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope it's better than last year;there were so many people wandering the streets looking for an "art experience" and being disappointed. i.e.: that zombie thingy.

And I REALLY hope the media in this town learn that "NUIT" is a ONE syllable word.:)

this really sounds exciting!

i really do hope that the city decides to shut down some of the major streets so people can flow from one site to another fairly easily. last year was just a mess, especially on queen street.

Apart from them following up a big and impressive light installation at city hall with a smaller, less impressive looking light installation at city hall this year, I'm looking forward to this. I really hope this continues to go off well, it's probably my favourite festival of the year..

This year the city plans to shut down McCaul St., a portion of Bay Street, and Liberty Street to make it easier for pedestrians to get around the city. The TTC has also promised all-night service on both subway lines.

From Torontoist, the full road closure list is:

"Bay from Gerrard to Front, McCaul from Grange Road to Dundas, and Liberty Street from Dufferin to Pirandello"

That's a big stretch of Bay street closed. Also the subway will run all night only from St. Clair West to Eglinton and Keel to Woodbine.

Another point is that the organizers specifically say that the installations will be more densely clustered than last year, so you don't have to spend all night criss-crossing the city to see everything.

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/night_time_is_the_right_time.php

Last edited:
this really sounds exciting!

i really do hope that the city decides to shut down some of the major streets so people can flow from one site to another fairly easily. last year was just a mess, especially on queen street.

I agree. They should also set up more portable toilets and allow more bars to extend hours.

Apart from them following up a big and impressive light installation at city hall with a smaller, less impressive looking light installation at city hall this year, I'm looking forward to this. I really hope this continues to go off well, it's probably my favourite festival of the year..

It's if not my favourite festival, definately in the top two or three. It's possibly the best night for people watching in Toronto - there's such a great diversity of people, voices, and reactions. That atmosphere that takes hold of the city is just wonderful. In general, I'd say it's a great boost to the city's confidence.

From Torontoist, the full road closure list is:

"Bay from Gerrard to Front, McCaul from Grange Road to Dundas, and Liberty Street from Dufferin to Pirandello"

That's a big stretch of Bay street closed. Also the subway will run all night only from St. Clair West to Eglinton and Keel to Woodbine.

Another point is that the organizers specifically say that the installations will be more densely clustered than last year, so you don't have to spend all night criss-crossing the city to see everything.

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/night_time_is_the_right_time.php

This is a good thing--not only the closures (because things did get too crowded) but also the denser overall locations. Last year we missed much of the other the zones (missed one completely) because there was a lot to do just within the main downtown zone. It would be nice to close most of downtown but clearly the city would never go that far. I'm really looking forward to it this year as the initial line-up sounds good and last year's installations--some disappointments notwithstanding--made the night worthwhile.

I agree. They should also set up more portable toilets and allow more bars to extend hours.

It's if not my favourite festival, definately in the top two or three. It's possibly the best night for people watching in Toronto - there's such a great diversity of people, voices, and reactions. That atmosphere that takes hold of the city is just wonderful. In general, I'd say it's a great boost to the city's confidence.

That was what really did it for me too--not just what people came to see, but the quantity and variety of people who were out and the positive vibes all around. It was more than an evening of clubbers or people seeing the usual shows and a nice change to see Toronto's downtown alive much more than it usually is. With a few exceptions our city seems far too quiet most evenings.

Nuit Blanche - a bust this year???

I wonder how the strike will affect Nuit Blanche 2009????
Are the people working on Nuit Blanche 2009 on strike???
Will it even happen this year because of the strike, and if the strike ends sometime soon, that backlog???

Scotiabank Nuit Blanche is indeed produced by the City of Toronto. Despite the strike, the event is still fully going ahead as planned. Most of the project descriptions are available on the website and all the detailed information about itineraries, maps, artist statements and full programme information will be online in the next couple of weeks.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Scotiabank Nuit Blanche needs your help! We are actively recruiting hundreds of volunteers to assist with night. There is a posting in the 'Marketplace' section of this site with the job descriptions and directions on how to apply. Thanks in advance for your support!

FYI Nuit Blanche lovers: the 2009 website is now live - full programme descriptions, maps, artist bios etc are now available. Coming up: new interactive mobile tools and apps to make getting around the night easier. Start planning your nuit now!

Back