News   Apr 25, 2024
 171     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 416     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Nuclear Energy and Ontario

Reasonable eh?

The trouble with opening sentences like yours is that they come off as idiotic. You appear to imply that only unreasonable and ill-informed persons support the development of nuclear power - which is dumb. For your information, there are many reasonable and well-informed people who support nuclear power.

For your own information (so you can be reasonably informed finally):

http://www.nwmo.ca/technicalresearch

I have read the all the various reports at the above url, that took awhile. Thank you for the link.

However, I hasten to note that nothing in any of the reports refutes my position.

In fact, to quote just one tiny item from one of the reports....

The point at which the UFC would fail mechanically is not currently known

the UFC being the containers which would contain spent fuel.

I would suggest, that unless and until the above question is answered, we do not yet have any safe or affordable means of nuclear fuel disposal. I would further submit that it is inherently unreasonable to proceed with a choice of power where the risk and cost models are at best indeterminate.

Again, if you were reasonably informed, you would quickly discover that a waste storage site is nothing like a reactor - and certainly nothing like a graphite-moderated reactor.

I didn't suggest, at any point that reactors were the same as disposal sites. Both reactors and disposal sites pose safety risks, though the risks with reactors are generally quantifiable and for the most part, not catastrophic. However, they are real, they have happened, and thus the examples cited.

In terms of risk at disposal sites, as no permanent sites have been constructed, there is no successful risk evaluation to discuss. But I have commented on the scientific reports you cited above by saying they are less than conclusive in their endorsements.

While spent fuel is very unlikely to explode it does have the potential to contaminate ground water and surrounding land area.

A read of all the factors they have excluded, or minimized across the various reports, how conditionalized their endorsements of potential storage choices are , and their only tepid claims (a life span of 10,000 years for containment that will be required well beyond that point) hardly reads as confidence inspiring.

In the end, however, the costs of disposal, absent any disaster, are not being factored into the cost of production; that is intellectually dishonest, and makes nuclear much more expensive than it seems are first blush.

Except for those pesky windless and sun-free days.

Solar power can be and is generated on cloudy days, the same way you can get a tan on a cloudy day, though this does occur more slowly.

Assuming an Even distribution of Wind Power sites throughout Ontario, I find it most unlikely there would ever be a wind-free day; though certainly any given local site may lack wind, that is why you construct some surplus and overlapping capacity and why you have baseload in the form of hydro, and geo-thermal which are both predictable and consistent.

Further, I did not suggest a power mix based entirely on sun and wind, but rather that in concert with hydro, geothermal and other renewables that nuclear was not required to go coal-free.

In reference to pricing:

My assessment of likely pricing outcomes is a reasonable one, not a fantasy or a fiction.

Pricing models the world over are knowns, as are proposed tariff rates for various feed in power to the grid in Ontario.

We can weight wind @ 11-13c per Kw/h; solar at 40-50c per KW/H; Hydro varies widely with new construction, but aggregate costs in Ontario put in in the 5c per k/w hour range, coal is not far off, while nuclear.....

Nuclear is interesting. Because the nominal calculation of the cost of production typically shows 2-3c per KW/H; but that is only because the cost of capital construction, interest on the associated debt and virtually all indemnity in the event of any kind of disaster/accident small or large is not shown as part of that figure.

In Ontario the Debt repayment charge on your hydro bill is for Darlington, but it is not used to calculate the costs of nuclear power in OPG or OPA models. Further this doesn't even count the debt the province uploaded; again the indemnity is not accounted for at all.

Were one to add the non-indemnity costs together; nuclear becomes the most expensive of the conventional or baseload power options for Ontario.

Were one to add even a modest indemnity charge, based on a very long amortization period one would find that nuclear power is more expensive than every form of power except solar.

In terms of using this pricing information to show likely costs from a nuclear-free power mix, using a range of power options, excluding coal and nuclear we can posit a range or likely power rates.

This range is wide, because its exact numbers on based on the precise power mix chosen, the total level of demand, transmission costs; and whether there is full demand-based pricing (in which case the exact power rate varies by time of day).

The range model shows a nuclear free and coal free Ontario can get power at between 9-14c per KW/H

Current peak demand pricing in Ontario is nominally close to 6 c per KWh.

However, that excludes those pesky debt charges, and transmission costs are fudged in there.

So in reality, we currently pay, inclusive of debt charges, somewhere around 8-9c per KWh for peak-supply, 1-2c lower during off-peak.

You asked if I want power as expensive as Europe. Hmm. Its not a matter of wanting high prices for their own sake, it is a matter of wanting power to be accurately priced and not subsidized either though public debt and indemnification or through externalized costs such as the healthcare system bearing with coal.

I do anticipate, that since Ontario's prices are artificially low, through public subsidy and cost externalizations that prices must inevitably rise.

However, given that Ontario does have access to cheaper hydro power and in fact greater wind and solar than much of Europe that it will not prove necessary to have power costs that high. Nonetheless, as both Europe and New York State prove, high power costs are not an undue burden to a healthy economy; subject to a reasonable period of adjustment, people and business will simply become more efficient in their use of power. Canadians are the most wasteful power users around, and a little judicious efficiency is over due.

In conclusion, Hydrogen, I was not being personally insulting to you. I was asserting a rhetorical point.

But if you would like to suggest that a reasonable and well informed person can endorse in an intellectually honest manner ...

A power source whose total factored cost (construction, maintenance, production, and disposal) without the consideration of indemnity, exceed the cost of even wind power and further that when even a low indemnity model is applied the costs become that much more exorbitant..... all while imposing a small, but real safety/environmental risk of indeterminate, but potentially severe scope; a risk which does not exist for any other means of power production, including those which are more affordable.......

By all mean, say so.

I would respectfully beg to differ.

Going coal-free isn't really an issue or a challenge at this point. While the weather has certainly helped, a quick look at IESO data shows that use of coal plants has been very minimal over the last year or so. Even during peak periods, we're talking about less than 1,000 megawatts. That could be easily replaced with gas or imports (i.e. from Quebec or from Conawapa).

Replacing all of Ontario's current fossil generation with renewables (and possibly even its nuclear generation) really isn't challenging at all, if only we looked at electricity on a national basis. With supply from Conawapa, Great Whale, La Romaine, and Lower Churchill, we could easily replace all of our coal and at least most of our nuclear. Transmission technologies are getting better so that losses over long lines aren't nearly as significant as they used to be.

Surprised no one has posted this yet:

MARTIN MITTELSTAEDT

From Friday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Thursday, Jul. 23, 2009 10:45PM EDT

Bruce Power has pulled the plug on an ambitious plan to construct two new nuclear power stations in Ontario.

The company says the stations, which it had hoped to build at Nanticoke on Lake Erie and at its existing nuclear complex near Port Elgin on Lake Huron, are not needed because of plunging electricity demand in the province.

The cancellations follow a decision late last month by the Ontario government to shelve a plan to build a new nuclear plant. The province cited the high cost of constructing the station as part of the reason for its decision.

Bruce Power operates two nuclear stations it leases from the Ontario government at the Port Elgin site. In a statement, the company said it will focus on refurbishing reactors at these stations rather than embarking on new construction.

The decision will have no impact on the company's interest in building nuclear power stations in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Both provinces are expected to issue policy statements on nuclear power this year, according to the company.

“These are business decisions unique to Ontario and reflect the current realities of the market,†said Duncan Hawthorne, Bruce Power's president. “For more than five years, we've examined our options and refurbishing our existing units has emerged as the most economical.â€

Bruce Power said it has notified the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency that it will withdraw its site licence applications and suspend its environmental assessments in Bruce County and Nanticoke.

Mr. Hawthorne said the company's research indicated both sites “held great promise for new build if the market conditions were more favourable†but the company must do what is “best for us, for Ontario and its ratepayers.â€

There have been hopes among nuclear energy proponents that interest in atomic power is about to undergo a revival after worries over the Three Mile and Chernobyl accidents caused construction of new plants to cease in North America for the past two decades.

But recently, some of that optimism has faded.

Besides the cancellations in Ontario, major utilities in the United States, including Entergy Corp. and Exelon Corp., have suspended some of their plans for new nuclear power plants. Last month, Moody's Investors Service, a credit rating firm, warned that it is considering taking a more negative view on utilities considering new nuclear stations.

Shawn-Patrick Stensil, a spokesman for Greenpeace, said the rapidly escalating price tag on new nuclear plants is undermining investor confidence in the technology. He said he believes cost worries are the real reason Bruce Power decided to cancel its Ontario projects, noting that it can take 10 years or more to build a nuclear power plant and utilities normally don't cancel plans because a recession temporarily cuts electricity use.

“I think they're using that as an excuse,†said Mr. Stensil, adding he doubts Bruce “would be able to convince private investors to take on [the] kind of risk†that comes with building two new plants.

Murray Elston, Bruce Power's vice-president of corporate affairs, rejected Mr. Stensil's assertion, saying “it really is the fact that right now the capacity of our system to generate is well beyond what our demand is.â€

He said the company had not sought cost estimates for the two new plants.

However, I hasten to note that nothing in any of the reports refutes my position.

In fact, to quote just one tiny item from one of the reports....

The point at which the UFC would fail mechanically is not currently known

the UFC being the containers which would contain spent fuel.

If you read the reports you would understand that the repository site would not be sealed, but would be continually monitored.

With respect to the UFC, the cherry-picking of a single sentence does not indicate any clarity. Containment systems have been rigorously tested. That sentence can easily indicate that the vessel has exceeded engineering standards.

I didn't suggest, at any point that reactors were the same as disposal sites. Both reactors and disposal sites pose safety risks, though the risks with reactors are generally quantifiable and for the most part, not catastrophic. However, they are real, they have happened, and thus the examples cited.

You spoke of reactors and waste sites in the same sentence. If there is a problem it is that you've been unclear. The worst reactor accident was of a technology not used in North America for commercial power generation. Neither it, nor the types of reactors used in Canada resemble a waste deposit site.

While spent fuel is very unlikely to explode it does have the potential to contaminate ground water and surrounding land area.

Again, this sentence illustrates that you have not read all the documents as you have stated. The deposit site would be constantly monitored. It would not be at ground level, but underground. Considerable effort has been expended in anticipating even the most remote problems. That being said, you can rest assured that a site with running water will not be selected. Even if water would penetrate such a site (and even if there was no one around to observe this development), it would take a very long time for the containment systems to be broken and a very long time for the material within to break down.

Solar power can be and is generated on cloudy days, the same way you can get a tan on a cloudy day, though this does occur more slowly.

In other words less efficient. Did you consider the land area necessary for installing such facilities? Did you consider the effect that this would have? Solar will serve as a supplemental source for electricity, not as a base load source. It will be a long time before this is ever a reasonable large-scale source for electricity in Ontario.

Assuming an Even distribution of Wind Power sites throughout Ontario, I find it most unlikely there would ever be a wind-free day; though certainly any given local site may lack wind, that is why you construct some surplus and overlapping capacity and why you have baseload in the form of hydro, and geo-thermal which are both predictable and consistent.

That's a lot of windmills and plenty of transmission lines to grab the available wind. Again, wind will never be a primary source for generation, but merely a supplement.

With respect to geothermal, I think you are making reference to geothermal cooling - not energy. You need very hot water as a source for producing geothermal energy for generating electricity.

If you want more hydro power in Ontario, you will have to damn up more rivers or create massive diversion project, and those don't always do wonderful things to the local ecosystems.

If you want more hydro power in Ontario, you will have to damn up more rivers or create massive diversion project, and those don't always do wonderful things to the local ecosystems.

Not necessarily. There are a number of elderly stations on rivers across Ontario that could be rebuilt at a significantly higher capacity with modern technology. The Lower Mattagami project is in planning right now to rebuild four stations and add over 400MW more capacity.

Sorry, but improving the technology will come nowhere near replacing the generation produced by present nuclear power facilities. That's not an argument to avoid doing so, but merely a statement of fact.

You would need new hydro projects to add to generation.

Oh of course. There's no way those would replace nuclear generation. If we did the Moose and Albany projects and imported from Conawapa, Lower Churchill, and Quebec, it might be possible to replace most of the nuclear generation.

If you want to import electricity over tremendous distances, sure. But again, we are talking about a tremendous amount of replacement.

Absolutely. That's why I think nuclear energy is such a tough issue. Despite its massive cost overruns and teething problems, Darlington is now a very reliable foundation of the grid. It wouldn't be easy to replace that much baseload power. On the other hand, $26 billion is absolutely outrageous for two reactors and we can't be expected to spend that kind of money.

Something that has gone unmentioned is that for the past months we have been using virtually no coal-fired electricity. The only units that have been operating to any significant degree are the upgraded units at Lambton and Nanticoke (two each) that are equipped with all the latest scrubber and flue gas desulfurization gadgetry. Even then, they only operate for a few hours a day. I don't think I've seen the total coal-fired generation go above 1000MW in months.

You can chalk that up largely to the cooler summer and lower industrial demands.

Coal-fired power - with the latest scrubber technology - will always be there as a viable source for electrical generation.

The cool summer and economic slowdown have definitely helped keep power use low. We might even be able to accelerate the coal phase-out.

I don't think coal should be considered as an option for the future. I know you have different views on global warming, but even in terms of local pollution, the most modern coal plants are still very dirty. The latest technologies also make them even less efficient, so the price advantage compared to combined cycle gas turbine generation is quite small.

Back