792     0 

Nuclear Emergency @ Pickering - Jan 12, 2020

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This morning, at 7:24am, Ontario issued an Emergency Alert as follows:

1578833816997.png

At at 7:57am I am unable to gain further detail, media reports are rather scant, but linked below:

Update: As at 8:13am, the government of Ontario is saying this 'alert' was an 'oops'.

The Ontario government erroneously sent out a mass alert telling of an “incident” at Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, the local fire chief says, sending people across the region into a panic as they continue to work on sending out a retraction.

That's one hell of an oops!

My friend at OPG Pickering says it was the Durham FD sending an accidental message. Why does a local fire department have access to province-wide alert systems?

Can you imagine if they’d accidentally sent out the more serious Zombie apocalypse, run for the hills message?

Do you guys have a go bag ready for your family’s quick evacuation?

Can't trust the government to sell sand in the Sahara...I mean they are losing money selling weed...can you believe it?...yet we are taxed to death in this country

Ooops, again...

@opg security tells @globalnewsto they have no communications staff in today to speak on the phone. All media requests need to go through e-mail or snail mail...

My friend at OPG Pickering says it was the Durham FD sending an accidental message. Why does a local fire department have access to province-wide alert systems?

Can you imagine if they’d accidentally sent out the more serious Zombie apocalypse, run for the hills message?

Do you guys have a go bag ready for your family’s quick evacuation?

I live in the slow and horrible death zone should the plant ever meltdown. Won't die immediately but the radiation will kill me eventually.

It's why I ordered these from the City of Toronto. I live close enough in Scarborough that I am eligible to receive these should I request them.

20200112_120824.jpg
20200112_120710.jpg
20200112_120732.jpg

It seems that the false alert was sent out during a regular system test by the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre. Nothting to do with OPG so not unreasonable that they didn't have any communications folks available on a Sunday morning.

While the government's systems should probably be better fail-safed, stuff happens. What I find curious, but not surprising, is the length of time for a cancellation notice to go out - almost two hours. I worked for the Ontario government for 31-years and it (and probably most others) have become so bureaucratic and risk-averse that seemingly straight-forward information releases have to be vetted through multiple eyes. Not only does this ensure that every single word is parsed from every angle, but it makes so many more people absolutely vital to the machinery of government. Contacting hordes of lawyers and bureaucrats on a Sunday morning, takes time. In a normal world, the staffer who 'made the oops' would simply do whatever to rescind it, but not in the government.

I live in the slow and horrible death zone should the plant ever meltdown. Won't die immediately but the radiation will kill me eventually.

It's why I ordered these from the City of Toronto. I live close enough in Scarborough that I am eligible to receive these should I request them.

Don't worry, there are plenty other isotopes that can kill you and you can't take pills for those :p

It seems that the false alert was sent out during a regular system test by the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre. Nothting to do with OPG so not unreasonable that they didn't have any communications folks available on a Sunday morning.

While the government's systems should probably be better fail-safed, stuff happens. What I find curious, but not surprising, is the length of time for a cancellation notice to go out - almost two hours. I worked for the Ontario government for 31-years and it (and probably most others) have become so bureaucratic and risk-averse that seemingly straight-forward information releases have to be vetted through multiple eyes. Not only does this ensure that every single word is parsed from every angle, but it makes so many more people absolutely vital to the machinery of government. Contacting hordes of lawyers and bureaucrats on a Sunday morning, takes time. In a normal world, the staffer who 'made the oops' would simply do whatever to rescind it, but not in the government.

Honestly, between the various Amber Alert shortcomings and this, my impression of how the system is used is pretty negative. It makes no sense to have a system that makes it so easy to send out an alert of this nature (with questionable fail-safes) and yet takes forever to send out a message of clarification. So what we have is a system that is unresilient towards errors AND correction of such. It's dumb.

AoD

Honestly, between the various Amber Alert shortcomings and this, my impression of how the system is used is pretty negative. It makes no sense to have a system that makes it so easy to send out an alert of this nature (with questionable fail-safes) and yet takes forever to send out a message of clarification. So what we have is a system that is unresilient towards errors AND correction of such. It's dumb.

I just wish they had sent out an accidental meltdown alert.

"Stay calm but be advised an incident has occurred at the Pickering Nuclear Generation Station resulting in the release of high levels of radiation. All residents within 100 KM are asked to commence an orderly evacuation of the affected area immediately".

Imagine the headaches caused if that sort of notice was sent out and it took 2 hours to retract it..

I just wish they had sent out an accidental meltdown alert.

"Stay calm but be advised an incident has occurred at the Pickering Nuclear Generation Station resulting in the release of high levels of radiation. All residents within 100 KM are asked to commence an orderly evacuation of the affected area immediately".

Imagine the headaches caused if that sort of notice was sent out and it took 2 hours to retract it..

I suspect heads would roll a little more promptly with errors of that sort. And why would anyone need an emergency alert if the issue doesn't affect anyone? That's not an emergency so far as the public is concerned.

AoD

Back