NOW Magazine Film Critic Found Dead

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto film critic found dead

SANDRA MARTIN

Globe and Mail Update

December 18, 2007 at 6:56 PM EST

John Harkness, the film critic for NOW Magazine since its beginning on Sept. 10, 1981, was found dead in his home in Toronto on Tuesday, according to Michael Hollet, the tabloid's editor and publisher. Mr. Harkness, who was 53 had been suffering from high cholesterol. “He had never missed a deadline in 26 years,†Mr. Hollet said Tuesday fternoon, “so we sent somebody to his house when his copy didn't arrive.†That is when they found his body and called the police.

Born in Montreal in 1954, Mr. Harkness grew up in Halifax and Sarnia. He earned a degree in English literature from Carleton University in Ottawa before doing graduate work in Cinema Studies at Columbia University in New York City, where he studied under critic Andrew Sarris.

“John Harkness was simply the best film critic in Canada over the last 26 years,†said Mr. Hollet in a press release. “He has been an essential element of NOW magazine's success and his unique vision and bravery and art in expressing it inspired all of us at NOW to strive.â€

Mr. Harkness also wrote for Sight And Sound, Take One, and the Cinematheque Ontario program and spent several years as a trade reporter for Screen International and Cinema Canada. His book on the Oscars, The Academy Awards Handbook, is currently in its eighth edition.

Unless you're going to follow it up with the cause of death, why would you mention he was suffering from high cholesterol? And does anyone really 'suffer' from high cholesterol?

You can certainly suffer from the side effects of taking such drugs as statins to reduce cholesterol levels. I know a couple of people who were told to come off them immediately by their doctors once problems manifested themselves.

I too am saddened by John Harkness' passing.

Having high cholesterol levels myself, I would have never known it without testing, but should have expected it, given family history. Statins have caused problems for me with my leg muscles, so I have had to adopt a more complex regimen.

Back