668     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 635     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

1610144845219.png

AoD

To hell with the bleeding hearts I say we have a true UK style lockdown. Those who start complaining that their rights are being violated by being forced to lockdown can go f**k a goat for all I care.

I only eat goats, but thanks for the offer of expanding my outlook.

Those who so quickly give up their rights never deserved them in the first place.

Why UK anyway? Their lockdown is soft.
Go full China or go home!

Last edited:
Friends of mine who drive to work. got travel lock down papers from their employer this week, just in case a curfew does happen.

Why?

I don't think I want to work so I can support a society and government that only see me as an economic input and not a person.

Curfew? Ok, sure, lock me up at home but forget about me going to work then. Am I locked at home or am I generating economic activity? Because I ain't doing both.

#BREAKING: Ontario hits 400 COVID-19 patients in ICU, 3,443 new COVID-19 cases and 40 more deaths.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-h...w-covid-19-cases-and-40-more-deaths-1.5260282

Hmmm,

The data from the province doesn't show the over 400 number this morning.

But it wouldn't surprise me if that's out of synch w/CCSO data.

1610206856017.png

1610206876858.png

The 1.65% increase is down a hair

Vaccinations also rose again yesterday:

with 5,880 having rec'd their 2nd shot.

With curfews quite possibly in the offing in Ontario, and going into effect in Quebec imminently.........

A piece here from the National Post discussing their potential harm; and asking, quite rightly, if there is any evidence they actually work.

There is little dispute about the need to reduce the spread of Covid; but the 'how' matters.

This is particularly true if the 'how' results in economic harms, malnutrition, disproportionate impacts on the homeless and minorities; and may result in increased suicides, domestic violence and child abuse.

If one is to undertake actions that have those types of secondary risks; there is some onus to establish their usefulness.

There are myriad other moves from mandating paid sick/personal days; to isolating LTC staff to one floor or pod; to simply legislating an end to for-profit LTC homes as an emergency action (since these show the highest instances of transmission and death), which have a proven track record; which ought to have been done ages ago; and should still be prioritized.

This is particularly true if the 'how' results in economic harms, malnutrition, disproportionate impacts on the homeless and minorities; and may result in increased suicides, domestic violence and child abuse.

If one is to undertake actions that have those types of secondary risks; there is some onus to establish their usefulness.

Unfortunately, this pandemic has given us all a lesson in human psychology (for those who care to be self-aware enough to notice anyway...which is hard when your fight-or-flight lizard brain has been fully active for ten months).

That lesson being that we are neurologically wired to respond to perceived threats in a way that may sometimes have long-term consequences that can be worse than the original perceived threat.

We've seen absolutely hilarious reactionary responses based in ignorance and fear......paranoid delusional fear, no less.

When humans feel acute threats, the part of their brain that is responsible for foward thinking and planning shuts down. Ergo, our inability to foresee the very real and negative long-term impacts that our covidiot lockdown policies are going to have.

Never mind the fact that such psychological baseness has rendered us forgetful of an actually potential existential crisis (which this plague IS NOT, no matter what your paranoid delusions tell you) in the form of potentially catastrophic climate change.

Then there are other crises that have been all but ignored, such as the very real and very dangerous opioid crisis. In British Columbia, more people have died from opioid-related incidents since the start of the plague than have died from the plague.

Where is your outcry in that regard? Your righteous indignation?

Nowhere, because you feel it doesn't affect you directly. Or doesn't have the potential for affecting you.

The societal response to this plague, by and large, has been pathetic in its irrationality and incoherence. I pity the fool who is still stuck in fight-or-flight all these months later.

As an aside, though completely related to the covidiocy of plague regulation: Why are we requiring bookings for outdoor activities such as skating or hiking in conservation areas?
Just one covidiot policy that is absolutely bereft of reason or logic.

By the way, the term covidiot doesn't only apply to those who through sheer ignorance think wearing masks indoors is stupid. It equally applies to those who are just as ignorant and irrational but on the other side of the ledger.

Anti-maskers are as covidiot as those clamouring for curfews and booking skating time slots. Same base ignorance and a sad departure from the rational human condition that the Enlightenment (centuries ago!) was supposed to have graced us with.

Alvin, that is a gross mischaracterization of my posts. I’m not sure what or who you are projecting onto me.

I pressed your button by looking at the numbers and speculating on how and why covid is spreading the way it is. You don’t care about numbers and theories. Fine.

My point was that the pandemics progression is not a magic black box. Our leadership could have implemented effective policy based on reason and foresight. They did not. They were reactionary and illogical, focused primarily on maintaining status quo culture and organizational continuity over effective leadership and structural reform.

As to the second half of your post where you go on an ideological political rant: That’s cool. If you want me to join you in trashing right-wing political leaders and governments in Canada so as to impose a siloed homogeneous political culture here that’s cool. They’re trash. I don’t support any of them; however, the narrative that political ideology matters in effective pandemic management is paper thin. Success stories around the globe consist of left and right wing governments, high and low tax countries, rich and poor resource countries, public and private healthcare systems etc.

My disappointment during this pandemic is not in Doug Ford, Justin Trudeau, and John Tory (although they have all failed us badly). My disappointment is in Canada’s cultural and structural failures.

Back