News   Apr 18, 2024
 573     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Many of the Public Health Region numbers have barely broken double digits in new case numbers (many are still in triple digits in cumulative numbers since this whole thing began). I would vote for roadblocks first to contain the areas that can't seem to follow basic guidelines rather than wreck local economies for no apparent benefit.

What meant by "complete lock down"? Do we assume grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. have on-site stock sufficient to get through whatever period, or would goods movement be allowed? If the power goes out or your furnace/elevator breaks down, do we just wait until it's over or warms up? Retail lock down, where warranted, I can understand, but "complete", not so sure.

I have friends in Rio De Janeiro and Manaus Brazil along with family in London, UK.

My cousins in London had no landline phone for weeks because BT was not sending out technicians during their initial lockdown. They could still go get food and go for walks but that was it. The only people on the streets were designated supply chain or otherwise essential workers.

In Manaus and Rio De Janeiro you could go out for groceries or get your meds but that was it. Nothing more. Everything was closed unless you were providing emergency medical, fire or police services. Those dealing with medical supplies and food were considered essential.

Roadblocks are pointless given how many entry and exit points there are from the GTA. You would literally need someone at EVERY street not just the 400 series highways.

A province wide lockdown is the only way to go. Yes people will whine and complain but they need to bring things back under control.

Chris Sky can go suck a lemon for all I care, throw him into a jail cell if he wants to break lockdown.

Saw this on another forum. I don't know whether to sadly say 'oh, Texas', 'oh, America', or 'oh, (fill in applicable generation)'.

Texas government is probably ok with it as their defined benefit pension liability is getting reduced with higher mortality in the demographic who are drawing on the pension!

We've discussed here the 'lockdown' and its seeming unfairness in permitting big boxes to open (CT, Walmart etc.)

While forcing small business to close writ-large (as opposed to merely restricting in-person dining options or the like).

The National Post has an article on this today, which I will link below; but first, a handy graphic from said piece that shows Ontario is the only province to have this weird approach to lockdown.

7 others are permitting small and big business alike to open with uniform restrictions on capacity.

While, 2, Manitoba and Quebec, are shuttering big boxes and small business alike.

1608215545379.png

From this article: https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...retailers-challenge-of-ontario-lockdown-rules

I rather hope HBC wins their court challenge, not because I want to eliminate lockdowns necessarily, but because I want to see the government forced to be logical, consistent and justify their choices.

HBC in its application to quash the current rules says they are “incoherent and devoid of logic.”. I'm inclined to agree.

I have friends in Rio De Janeiro and Manaus Brazil along with family in London, UK.

My cousins in London had no landline phone for weeks because BT was not sending out technicians during their initial lockdown. They could still go get food and go for walks but that was it. The only people on the streets were designated supply chain or otherwise essential workers.

In Manaus and Rio De Janeiro you could go out for groceries or get your meds but that was it. Nothing more. Everything was closed unless you were providing emergency medical, fire or police services. Those dealing with medical supplies and food were considered essential.

Roadblocks are pointless given how many entry and exit points there are from the GTA. You would literally need someone at EVERY street not just the 400 series highways.

A province wide lockdown is the only way to go. Yes people will whine and complain but they need to bring things back under control.

Chris Sky can go suck a lemon for all I care, throw him into a jail cell if he wants to break lockdown.

We have to go into a complete lock down there is no choice.

Last edited:
Ontario is reporting a record 2,432 cases Thurs. The 7-day avg is up to a record 2,026 cases daily, or 97 weekly per 100,000. 58,178 completed tests, with 4% positivity. The testing queue is now also up to a record 78,631. Another 20 deaths reported.

I don't care how big of a Grocery Section they have. Can you honestly tell me that people only go to Wal-Mart or Costco for Groceries and not to buy TV's, Clothes, etc?
Grocery stores are utility and they have a certain capacity. Shutting down Costco and Walmart would cut out 10-20% of the food supply chain. I wouldn't recommend it.

We have to go into a complete lock down there is no choice.

Again I ask, define "complete". If your furnace poops out, do you start busting up the furniture? If a neighbour suffers a heart attack, do you send condolences via text? Do we wind down our nuclear plants (34% of generation) and just hope the rest can keep up?

Just as an example. according to their website, the Porcupine Health Unit, which covers ~80,000 people in the northeast, has had a total of 118 cases since the beginning, and currently has 2 active cases. What is the point of shutting down all of their mines, mills, and other industries and wrecking the economy of the area?

Again I ask, define "complete". If your furnace poops out, do you start busting up the furniture? If a neighbour suffers a heart attack, do you send condolences via text? Do we wind down our nuclear plants (34% of generation) and just hope the rest can keep up?

Just as an example. according to their website, the Porcupine Health Unit, which covers ~80,000 people in the northeast, has had a total of 118 cases since the beginning, and currently has 2 active cases. What is the point of shutting down all of their mines, mills, and other industries and wrecking the economy of the area?

Whether it makes sense or not depends on whether there is sustained community spread in those communities. You can lock down the border but it won't help much if you already have a smothering fire. At a more basic level - I think the provincial policy on COVID shouldn't be health unit by unit - but by Northern or Southern Ontario.

AoD

Last edited:
Grocery stores are utility and they have a certain capacity. Shutting down Costco and Walmart would cut out 10-20% of the food supply chain. I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes - though they should only open the grocery section just to limit the amount of people visiting and duration of stay (people who are visiting to buy other stuff, and to stroll)

AoD

The reason why they ask you to wait 15 minutes after you get a dosage of any vaccine.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

From link.

A health care worker in Alaska had a serious allergic reaction after getting Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine Tuesday, symptoms that emerged within minutes and required an overnight hospital stay.

The middle-aged worker had no history of allergies but had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, Alaska, a hospital official said. She experienced a rash over her face and torso, shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate.

Dr. Lindy Jones, the hospital’s emergency department medical director, said the worker was first given a shot of epinephrine, a standard treatment for severe allergic reactions. Her symptoms subsided but then reemerged, and she was treated with steroids and an epinephrine drip.

When doctors tried to stop the drip, her symptoms reemerged yet again, so the woman was moved to the intensive care unit, observed throughout the night, then weaned off the drip early Wednesday morning, Jones said. He said the woman felt well, remained enthusiastic about the vaccine and was set to be discharged later Wednesday.

Although the Pfizer vaccine was shown to be safe and about 95% effective in a clinical trial involving 44,000 participants, the Alaska case will likely intensify concerns about possible side effects. Experts described the woman’s symptoms as potentially life-threatening and said that they may prompt calls for tighter guidelines to ensure that recipients are carefully monitored for adverse reactions.

Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert and member of an outside advisory panel that recommended the Food and Drug Administration authorize the Pfizer vaccine for emergency use, said the appropriate precautions are already in place. For instance, he said, the requirement that recipients remain in place for 15 minutes after getting the vaccine helped ensure the woman was quickly treated.

“I don’t think this means we should pause" vaccine distribution, he said. “Not at all.” But he said researchers need to figure out “what component of the vaccine is causing this reaction.”

Dr. Jay Butler, a top infectious disease expert with the Centers for Disease Control, said the Alaska case showed the monitoring system works. The agency has recommended that the vaccine be administered in settings that have supplies, including oxygen and epinephrine, to manage anaphylactic reactions.

Millions of Americans are in line to be inoculated with the Pfizer vaccine by the end of the year. As of Wednesday night, it was unclear how many Americans have received it. Alex Azar, the health and human services secretary, said that his department will be releasing that data “several days or maybe a week into this.”

The Alaska woman’s reaction was believed to be similar to the anaphylactic reactions two health workers in Britain experienced after receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine last week. Like her, both recovered.

Those cases are expected to come up Thursday, when FDA scientists are scheduled to meet with the agency’s outside panel of experts to decide whether to recommend that regulators approve Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use.

Although Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are both based on the same type of technology and are similar in their ingredients, it is not clear whether an allergic reaction to one would occur with the other. Both consist of genetic material called mRNA encased in a bubble of oily molecules called lipids, although they use different combinations of lipids.

Offit said in both vaccines, the bubbles are coated with a stabilizing molecule called polyethylene glycol that he considers a “leading contender” for triggering an allergic reaction. He stressed that more investigation is needed.

Pfizer’s trial did not find any serious adverse events caused by the vaccine, although many participants did experience aches, fevers and other side effects. The Alaska woman’s reaction was assumed to be related to the vaccine because it occurred so quickly after the shot.

A Pfizer spokesperson, Jerica Pitts, said that the company does not yet have all the details of the case but is working with local health authorities. The vaccine comes with information warning that medical treatment should be available in case of a rare anaphylactic event, she said. “We will closely monitor all reports suggestive of serious allergic reactions following vaccination and update labeling language if needed,” Pitts said.

After the workers in Britain fell ill, authorities there initially warned against giving the vaccines to anyone with a history of severe allergic reactions. They later clarified their concerns, changing the wording from “severe allergic reactions” to specify that the vaccine should not be given to anyone who has ever had an anaphylactic reaction to a food, medicine or vaccine. That type of reaction to a vaccine is “very rare,” they said.

Pfizer officials have said the two British people who had the reaction had a history of severe allergies. One, a 49-year-old woman, had a history of egg allergies. The other, a 40-year-old woman, had a history of allergies to several different medications. Both carried EpiPen-like devices to inject themselves with epinephrine in case of such a reaction.

Pfizer has said that its vaccine does not contain egg ingredients.

The British update also said that a third patient had a “possible allergic reaction” but did not describe it.

In the United States, federal regulators issued a broad authorization for the vaccine Friday to adults 16 years and older. Health care providers were warned not to give the vaccine to anyone with a “known history of a severe allergic reaction” to any component of the vaccine, which they said was a standard warning for vaccines.

But because of the British cases, FDA officials have said they would require Pfizer to increase its monitoring for anaphylaxis and submit data on it once the vaccine comes into use. Pfizer also said that the vaccine is recommended to be administered in settings that have access to equipment to manage anaphylaxis. Last weekend, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that people with serious allergies can be safely vaccinated with close monitoring for 30 minutes after receiving the shot.

Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, with impaired breathing and drops in blood pressure that usually occur within minutes or even seconds after exposure to a food, medicine or even a substance like latex to which the person is allergic.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

Right.

But at this point; that's a choice.

By which I mean, our hospitals in a non-Covid flu seasons often run at greater than 100% of capacity.

They shouldn't.

We're now in a pandemic; one that's been ongoing for 8 months.

Government has had ample time to build new emergency hospital space.

NYC built over 5,000 emergency beds, taking over convention spaces and other large facilities.

In the GTA, Joseph Brant in Burlington built an emergency field hospital/expansion in their parking lot within weeks of the beginning of the pandemic.

There was opportunity between then and now to repeat this a dozen times over in the GTA and provide our hospitals breathing room. It hasn't happened.

Last I checked, the province has budgeted and has more than 12B cash on hand in its Covid contingency fund that has not been spent.

Pure incompetence/negligence.

The money is there, but the implementation wasn't even a thought.

Back