News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

We live in a different time now especially with the media. It’s serious but the media is making it into a bigger deal. Imagine if this was SARS again? The panic would be even worse.

Also feel a lot of people are misinformed which isn’t surprising since there still isn’t much info out there.

Coronavirus: quarter of Italy's population put in quarantine as virus reaches Washington DC

Giuseppe Conte signs decree early on Sunday after 1,200 cases confirmed in 24 hours

Sun 8 Mar 2020 07.47 GMT

Italy has formally locked down more than a quarter of its population in a bid to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, as the outbreak reached Washington DC and a political convention attended by Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

More than 5,800 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in Italy, after an alarming increase of more than 1,200 in a single 24-hour period. Two hundred and thirty-three people have died. Almost 100 countries are now responding to outbreaks.

I got to thinking today about his Coronavirus compares to SARS and it strikes me how different things are now compared to then.

In 2003 with SARS there was a real and present danger. If you got SARS you were very seriously ill, highly contagious and at a high risk of dying no matter who you were or how healthy you were. There were travel bans, hospitals were sealed and if you got infected there was no debate on just how quarantined you were.

The WHO put in place travel bans and life grounded to a halt in affected cities.

There was no "self isolation", if you got sick you were forcibly quarantined and everyone you may have came in contact with was too. You could not walk into a hospital without submitting to an inspection.

Now in 2020, the number of infected people is higher but the deaths are lower. People are "self isolating", nobody is issuing a travel ban and nobody is being quarantined.

I lived through SARS, I was in and out of hospitals for appointments during that time in Toronto but they were stricter then than they are now even though this is made out to be an even bigger and more serious outbreak.

I cannot fathom why people are making such a big deal out of Coronavirus when it is nothing more than a potent cold. SARS was much worse and yet everyone seems to think that Coronavirus is akin to the plague.

Yes more people are affected now compared to SARS but the mortality rate as a percentage of those affected is much lower.

Just because there are more people infected does not mean it is more serious. When the death rates reach 10% then we have a problem but for now, the death rate is a third of what it was during SARS and yet we are treating this as a much more serious outbreak.
Seasonal flu mortality rate is 0.1, COVID-19 is 3.4%. SARS was 10%. Thus, COVID19 is much closer to SARS than the flu.
Total deaths from COVID19 is 3500, vs. 800 for SARS.
Total infected from COVID19 is over 100k, while 8k for SARS.
All these point to much greater global concern from COVID19 vs. SARS.
If you only think about Toronto and nothing beyond - then I agree that SARS was worse.

I got to thinking today about his Coronavirus compares to SARS and it strikes me how different things are now compared to then.
In 2003 with SARS there was a real and present danger. If you got SARS you were very seriously ill, highly contagious and at a high risk of dying no matter who you were or how healthy you were. There were travel bans, hospitals were sealed and if you got infected there was no debate on just how quarantined you were.
The WHO put in place travel bans and life grounded to a halt in affected cities.
There was no "self isolation", if you got sick you were forcibly quarantined and everyone you may have came in contact with was too. You could not walk into a hospital without submitting to an inspection.
Now in 2020, the number of infected people is higher but the deaths are lower. People are "self isolating", nobody is issuing a travel ban and nobody is being quarantined.
I lived through SARS, I was in and out of hospitals for appointments during that time in Toronto but they were stricter then than they are now even though this is made out to be an even bigger and more serious outbreak.
I cannot fathom why people are making such a big deal out of Coronavirus when it is nothing more than a potent cold. SARS was much worse and yet everyone seems to think that Coronavirus is akin to the plague.
Yes more people are affected now compared to SARS but the mortality rate as a percentage of those affected is much lower.
Just because there are more people infected does not mean it is more serious. When the death rates reach 10% then we have a problem but for now, the death rate is a third of what it was during SARS and yet we are treating this as a much more serious outbreak.

It isn't more serious to a single individual - but it is more serious than SARS simply because it spreads easily - the issue isn't that a larger percentage of those who caught it will die, but the large number of people catching it overwhelming the health system. So yeah, it is still dangerous, and it is still important to slow transmission as much as possible.

1583677885717.png

(Form https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-china-epicurve-1.5479983)

AoD

Ontario has confirmed another positive case of COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 29.

Provincial health officials say that the latest case involves a woman who returned from Colorado on March 2 and attended the emergency department at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. The patient is in self-isolation at home.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...a&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

Last edited:
Chaos in northern Italy over vague coronavirus lockdown orders

People crowded onto trains to preempt draconian government measures to stop the spread of COVID-19. Italian media and politicians have been criticized for the confusing rollout of the new controls.

Confusion has taken hold across northern Italy, —the region hardest-hit by the novel coronavirus COVID-19 — after the country's most reputable newspaper on Saturday published a draft of a lockdown order before it had been decreed by the government.

Official information, which was only released hours later, was criticized for being unclear and badly written, leaving many people — who were about to come out of quarantine — still unable to go home or unsure of what they should do next.

Coronavirus: Italy death toll soars amid travel ban

The number of people to have died from the coronavirus in Italy has shot up by 133 in a day to 366, officials say.

The total number of infections leapt 25% to 7,375 from 5,883, according to the Civil Protection agency.

The jump in figures comes as millions adapt to radical measures introduced on Sunday in an attempt to contain the outbreak.

I saw a woman interviewed on TV -- she was in Milan, I believe, and was planning to leave and travel to a family member's. She didn't seem to understand the point of the quarantine / lockdown.

Ted Cruz shook hands with someone at CPAC who now has coronavirus. He is in isolation now. So is Paul Gosar.

@AlvinofDiaspar

Should Worldometer be added to the OP:

Worldometer is very reliable:

Leaked coronavirus plan to quarantine 16m sparks chaos in Italy

Thousands tried to flee south after decree to confine people until 3 April was revealed

Angela Giuffrida in Rome and Lorenzo Tondo in Palermo
Sun 8 Mar 2020 15.54 GMT

Thousands crowded train stations or jumped into their cars after a draft decree banning people from leaving or entering the region was revealed by Corriere della Sera late on Saturday afternoon.

In Italy’s south dozens of police officers and medics wearing masks and hazmat suits waited in Salerno, Campania, for passengers who had boarded overnight trains from Lombardy as fears mount over the virus’s potential spread.

“What happened with the news leak has caused many people to try to escape, causing the opposite effect of what the decree is trying to achieve,” warned Roberto Burioni, a professor of microbiology and virology at Vita-Salute San Raffaele University in Milan. “Unfortunately some of those who fled will be infected with the disease.”

Ontario confirms three cases of COVID-19 Sunday, bringing provincial total to 31

By Mary Ormsby Feature Writer
Sun., March 8, 2020

Ontario identified two more people infected with COVID-19, the Ministry of Health said Sunday evening, raising the province’s number of confirmed coronavirus cases to 31.

One of the two new cases announced Sunday evening include a woman in her 60s who went to Scarborough Health Network-General Site’s emergency department on March 7, after returning from France on March 2.

The second is man in his 60s who presented himself to North York General Hospital’s emergency department March 7, after returning from Washington D.C on March 3, according to a written statement from the ministry.

-------------
The two new cases follow another case announced earlier on Sunday, of a woman in her 40s who went to Sunnybrook Health Science Centre’s emergency department after returning from Colorado on March 2.

Back