News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 593     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Last edited:
From today's experience, if you have a booster booked for a long time out, don't stop looking on various sites. But also make sure you're looking at the local PHUs, hospital groups, supplementary health care services, etc.

Last night, I felt lucky to have last week booked an appointment at the MTCC for January 27th; considering many aren't able to get anything until February now.

This morning, more spots opened up and I was able to book for January 19th at the MTCC.

I kept looking around and was able to get my wife an appointment for 2:45pm this afternoon through the Sherbourne Health website. It was a single spot, so I wasn't able to book the same for me. I'm guessing I lucked upon a cancelled appointment.

As part of our daily walk, I decided that my daughter and I would go with her when she went to get it. It's about a 2km walk from our place to the Fred Victor centre.

When we got there, they'd opened up a limited number of walk-ins. My wife got in the appointment line and I decided I'd take my chances at the walk-in line (there were only about 5 people ahead of me). The wrangler outside said for us to keep together, despite my lack of appointment, and we went in as a group from the appointment line.

As a result, we got our Moderna boosters, making us both Az-M-M. If anyone in the Yonge corridor or Bloor East is having trouble finding a booster, try checking Sherbourne Health. From what I'm to understand, a limited number of walk-ins are done on Tuesdays at 2:45.

Last edited:
This is exactly the problem, why does it take one to hunt everywhere and on multiple platforms? Technically one should be able to book and view all the options via the provincial since but it’s not the case. I still do not understand why some hospital networks have different booking systems.

Addendum: I took a browse at Vaccine Hunter’s Twitter page. Unless you are on there 24/7 (which most people aren’t), have time to browse through all the tweets and can drop everything on a moments notice, it’s pretty useless for a lot of people.

Addendum: according to a family member, the provincial site still hosts some deadend links for vaccine bookings. Eg. One of the link requires you enter your postal code and then will bring you to a page telling you to go to your public health unit’s site. Whereas another link will allow you to enter in your healthcard details and provide the closest vaccination sites.

Last edited:
I just received an email from Lee Valley. They are closing their stores to instore shopping for two weeks and are moving to curbside and shopping by appointment only.
Strange - didn't get one. I used curbside pickup during the last go-round. Appointment would be interesting for me - I usually spent a lot time wandering around just drooling.

This is exactly the problem, why does it take one to hunt everywhere and on multiple platforms? Technically one should be able to book and view all the options via the provincial since but it’s not the case. I still do not understand why some hospital networks have different booking systems.

Addendum: I took a browse at Vaccine Hunter’s Twitter page. Unless you are on there 24/7 (which most people aren’t), have time to browse through all the tweets and can drop everything on a moments notice, it’s pretty useless for a lot of people.

Addendum: according to a family member, the provincial site still hosts some deadend links for vaccine bookings. Eg. One of the link requires you enter your postal code and then will bring you to a page telling you to go to your public health unit’s site. Whereas another link will allow you to enter in your healthcard details and provide the closest vaccination sites.
I am seeing so many posts of people who say they spent two hours refreshing the portal and then finally luck out and snag an appointment earlier than March. I have put myself on multiple wait lists and heard nothing while at the same time seeing people post they got an appointment at those places I am waiting for. It’s truly a crap shoot.

This is because Doug Ford does not want the province doing the work. He still believes that "businesses" can do no wrong. Having one site for vaccine appointment is against his "business" mind.

It's funny the guy who toted the efficiencies and cost-savings of consolidated procurement (at both the municipal and provincial level) is the one who set up this cluster-f of a system.

The Ontario system as it exists is a mess. A search will refer you to the TPHU, but the TPHU will tell you you need to book through Ontario's site. There are (obviously) additional healthcare providers that have their own booking outside of Ontario's, and the painful experience of pharmacy appointments, where you have to book for each individual pharmacy. All sources are getting their doses directly from the province, ffs. The province should handle it.

Other searches on the provincial portal will show sites with appointments for a wide range of dates, only to find none when you click through.

No one having to try and navigate this system can be surprised by this (Vaccine Hunters Canada's discord region users):
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 10.27.27 AM.png
Quebec, with about ⅔ the population of Ontario, has less than 1/100th the number of people trying to track down a vaccination.

I've taken to having Vaccine Hunters Canada's Discord channel running in the background, with audible notifications on the Toronto thread.

Discord is really the wellspring from which pretty much all VaxHunters Canada information comes. Two of my shot appointments were made reacting quickly to posts on their Discord channel. By the time info gets up on Twitter, it's likely already too late.

Man, I wish we would take a look to other countries like Estonia for guidance on this. Yes, Estonia. They have a Once-only policy in regards to information; the idea being that you should only ever need to enter or give your information once in the health system.

Currently, filling out a vaccine appointment on Ontario's Covid-19 page requires entering your postal code three times, and date of birth twice. There's no reason for that; disregarding even setting a cookie after asking if the computer is secure (which they should), session information should be passed on as you go. Really, setting an optional, secure cookie should be done because so many are visiting the site multiple times, either because they can't find something, or because they want to see if they can find something sooner.

But as of right now, every time you search, you need to re-enter your information before you even get to search. Once I've entered myself into the pool from my very first search, I should be able to just open the site and quickly search without entering a lick of info. But, I guess that'd be too efficient for the people of Ontario to grasp.

Last edited:
In case anyone missed this yesterday…

Our vaccine system is so f-ed up, that a *strip club* stepped up to provide barrier-free walk-in vaccinations.

A STRIP CLUB.

Our vaccine system is so f-ed up, that a *strip club* stepped up to provide barrier-free walk-in vaccinations.

A STRIP CLUB.

Actually, I would say that having a vaccine centre in a strip club shows that the vaccine system is NOT "f-ed up". It surely shows that (even if the vaccine BOOKING system is 'poor') those responsible for offering vaccines are flexible, on top of things and think outside the box!

Actually, I would say that having a vaccine centre in a strip club shows that the vaccine system is NOT "f-ed up". It surely shows that (even if the vaccine BOOKING system is 'poor') those responsible for offering vaccines are flexible, on top of things and think outside the box!
The Provincially run part of the system is not barrier-free. That's the f-ed up part of it. The province itself will only inject you if you supply an OHIP number, immigration status, etc.

Frankly, the entire system should be barrier-free. Appointments could require ID for confirmation, but this disease doesn't care if I have an OHIP number, permanent address, etc. This should be the province's goal, and not left up to 3rd-parties like Maggies and the UHN. Means-testing always sides with privilege.

A STRIP CLUB.

Well the strippers are experts in dealing with all sorts of "infections" so it makes sense.

Back