News   Sep 13, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 657     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

More on this. People travelling on trains, planes and boats too. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131
Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening.
Unfortunately, that's still somewhat limited. For trains, that pretty much only means VIA trains that cross provincial boundaries.

We all knew Delta would be a tricky one which is why countries are looking at boosters.

I can see this being an annual shot alongside the flu vaccine.

Honestly though, how many people have got their required boosters as they get older?
Good point. I have no clue what childhood inoculations I got; I just assume I got them all because that's the way it was done back then. We were all marched past the school nurse (remember those) - I'm not convinced there was even a parental permission slip involved. The wife was recently in Emerg and was in the same boat, so they put down 'unknown' - there's no category for 'I think so'. If boosters for them are recommended, then I'm way behind. I know I'm probably behind on tetanus. I think they recommend every 10 years and I'm about 20.
Unfortunately, that's still somewhat limited. For trains, that pretty much only means VIA trains that cross provincial boundaries.
It would be interesting to hear a legal view on this in relation to intra-province VIA rail. They are still federally regulated. Little different than a flight from Toronto to Ottawa.

Can't alienate the extreme right with an election looming. I wonder what their position is for party staffers, particularly those in his inner circle. He should have an intimate lunch with Oosterhoff and family.

My daughters both leave for university next month. I hope they get to stay in residence rather than be forced out to home schooling. The schools require everyone to be double vaxed, so the students are as safe at school as they are at home.
Employer has said they won't require vaccination for office attendance!

So it is an indefinite Stage 3 at this point. Limits on indoor gathering to continue and I bet this spooks the hell out of downtown office employers who were still thinking of a September return to push it off to January. That's gonna be a death blow to some businesses that are still hoping to hang on... if only there was some kind of vaccine passport system....

I just saw on CP24 that Shopify will be requiring employees attending in person meetings to be vaccinated

A good first step. I think going back to thousands of cases per day is already baked in, unfortunately.

My direct manager has been in the office 3/5 days this week. He seems very blase about the risks. They have been doing in person meetings, most of which were unmasked. As we have learned, distance is not really that big of a protective factor. Having hundreds of people in an effectively enclosed space, not wearing masks and talking all day seems like a recipe for continued transmission, even among vaccinated people. I really do not understand the desire to be in person so much more than is strictly necessary.

We may want to wait a while, before we start sending workers back to the office. Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world is seeing a big surge in cases and hospitalizations. This is a country of only 9 million people.

Even fully vaccinated people are at risk. CDC adds Israel to highest risk countries for catching Covid

I think being cautious is the prudent thing to do - better delay further relaxation of restrictions than having to walk back and cause even more shock.

What I am truly concerned about is what happens when we reach September - when schools reopen and a lot of WFH businesses transition to at least partial BTO; nevermind going forward in Fall and Winter - when we know respiratory diseases are always on the uptick. We also need to see more data on how effective vaccination is against serious disease for Delta in the runup to the Fall.

AoD

Last edited:
I think being cautious is the prudent thing to do - better delay further relaxation of restrictions than having to walk back and cause even more shock.

What I am truly concerned about is what happens when we reach September - when schools reopen and a lot of WFH businesses transition to at least partial BTO; nevermind going forward in Fall and Winter - when we know respiratory diseases are always on the uptick. We also need to see more data on how effective vaccination is against serious disease for Delta in the runup to the Fall.

AoD

So whoever needs to make the call on a third-shot booster needs to do it soon because, I assume the time from that approval to needles in arms will require at least 90 days of ironing out the operations and logistics again.

Back