675     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 488     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 528     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

And would they do that?

To ensure higher vaccination rates.

It's not my fault if someone has mental health issues or reads too many conspiracy theories. My only concern is that this pandemic is dead and buried.

Do you honestly think diseases like Smallpox would be eradicated if not for mandatory vaccination.

Sometimes you have to force the issue to protect lives. That's the sad truth.

Just posted by City:

July 5, 2021

More than fifty per cent of Toronto adults are now fully vaccinated

The City of Toronto and Team Toronto vaccination partners are working to vaccinate everyone who wants a vaccine against COVID-19. As of today, 77.5 per cent of adults have received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and more than 50 per cent are fully vaccinated. In total, 1,404,614 Toronto residents are now fully vaccinated.

Everyone age 12 years or older is encouraged to book their vaccination appointment as soon as possible. Second dose appointments can be booked by anyone, including youth age 12 to 17, who received a first Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least 28 days ago or a first AstraZeneca vaccine at least eight weeks ago. More than 200,000 July vaccine appointments remain available in the provincial booking system for City-operated clinics, including 44,000 appointments for this week.

People with a scheduled second dose appointment later in the year should advance it to ensure they are protecting themselves and the wider community against the Delta variant. Appointments for City-run immunization clinics can be booked by residents through the dark blue “Book a Vaccine” button on www.toronto.ca/covid-19 or by calling the provincial vaccine booking line at 1-833-943-3900.

Vaccination appointments generally take less than 30 minutes from start to finish. City-run clinics are easily accessible by transit and offer free parking on-site. Clinic staff are also able to provide resources in multiple languages, or a person with a vaccination appointment can bring a support person to help with translation. More information on City-operated immunization clinic transportation options and on-site amenities is available on the City’s COVID-19: How to Get Vaccinated webpage: www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-protect-yourself-others/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-how-to-get-vaccinated/?accordion=city-immunization-clinics.

To ensure higher vaccination rates.

It's not my fault if someone has mental health issues or reads too many conspiracy theories. My only concern is that this pandemic is dead and buried.

Do you honestly think diseases like Smallpox would be eradicated if not for mandatory vaccination.

Sometimes you have to force the issue to protect lives. That's the sad truth.
The conspiracy theory crowd is the boomers. Perhaps the reason the numbers are lower in younger people because they’ve been at the back of the line for vaccinations?

Ooh, new conspiracy -ish theory I heard today. The vaccines are (naturally) full of toxins, but if you rub a potato on the injection site, it draws out the toxins. Take that anti-vaxxers! Important information was missing re disposing of the potato, however. I am guessing you would need to bury it under the light of a crescent moon or something.

The conspiracy theory crowd is the boomers. Perhaps the reason the numbers are lower in younger people because they’ve been at the back of the line for vaccinations?
I don't think that can fully explain it. Vaccination curves are flattening more quickly for the younger age cohorts:

My theory is that vaccination became available for older people earlier, near the peak of the third wave, so people who were eligible then felt more urgency to get their shot. By the time we opened up booking for the younger cohorts, case numbers were already low and restrictions were being loosened, so people felt safer waiting to get their shot or skipping it altogether. If you look at the vaccination stats for Israel, there's been a significant increase in their vaccination rate as case counts have spiked recently. Similarly, in the UK, there's been relatively little flattening in their first-dose vaccination rate as they deal with the latest delta-fueled outbreak. I suspect that complacency is a factor here.

Last edited:
I don't think that can fully explain it. Vaccination curves are flattening more quickly for the younger age cohorts:

My theory is that vaccination became available for older people earlier, near the peak of the third wave, so people who were eligible then felt more urgency to get their shot. By the time we opened up booking for the younger cohorts, case numbers were already low and restrictions were being loosened, so people felt safer waiting to get their shot or skipping it altogether. If you look at the vaccination stats for Israel, there's been a significant increase in their vaccination rate as case counts have spiked recently. Similarly, in the UK, there's been no flattening in their vaccination rate as they deal with the latest delta-fueled outbreak. I suspect that complacency is a factor here.
Part of the problem seems to be though that the young groups have never had any kind of priority. They’ve only ever been lumped in when it opened up to everybody. So it’s never been as easy for them as other groups.
Add to that lower age groups may be less able to easily get time off to get it in the first place. Especially given 2+ jobs are common in millennials and younger. That would certainly account for a slower uptake.

Last edited:
Don't forget that there's a minority of millennials who subscribe to conspiracy theories, such as Gamergaters.

I am among the majority of millennials who don't subscribe to conspiracy theories.

Don't forget that there's a minority of millennials who subscribe to conspiracy theories, such as Gamergaters.

I am among the majority of millennials who don't subscribe to conspiracy theories.
Yeah, but there's a (sometimes not insubstantial) minority of every age group that subscribes to garbage ideas; see things like the Alan Keyes Constant (A.K.A. Crazification Factor, and the best reason to get rid of first-past-the-post voting in every multi-party electoral system often decided by plurality, rather than majority).

Ooh, new conspiracy -ish theory I heard today. The vaccines are (naturally) full of toxins, but if you rub a potato on the injection site, it draws out the toxins. Take that anti-vaxxers! Important information was missing re disposing of the potato, however. I am guessing you would need to bury it under the light of a crescent moon or something.

They should have used leeches instead. Guess we're going back to balancing our humours soon eh?

re: antivaxxers

Boomers might be the loudest, but you also have that whole natural=good crowd among the GenX/Millennials - remember this case?

re: Vaccine uptake in younger cohorts

I suspect part of the reason is the misplaced sense of invulnerability (coupled with a general "whatever").

AoD

Last edited:
They should have used leeches instead. Guess we're going back to balancing our humours soon eh?

re: antivaxxers

Boomers might be the loudest, but you also have that whole natural=good crowd among the GenX/Millennials - remember this case?

re: Vaccine uptake in younger cohorts

I suspect part of the reason is the misplaced sense of invulnerability (coupled with a general "whatever").

AoD
Not to mention the anti-lockdown/anti-mask/anti-vaccine crowds every weekend look pretty young. Many young families too.

Back