News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 546     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Yes but you can't isolate without unleashing other problems.

Isolate your country for too long and you trash your economy. Open it up to save the economy and you risk bringing in a case of the virus which is what happened to Australia.

That case multiplies, more people get sick and next thing you know there are hundreds of new cases.

The reality is they were banking on isolation and border controls to be the panacea in all of this.

They likely thought that given their location on earth they could Isolate themselves until this blew over. The pandemic dragged on for longer than expected and they didn't have any plans for vaccines.

Now it is too late to be put in priority queue for vaccines and they are up the creek in an overturned canoe.

No doubt, but I think the Oz economy handled the pandemic better than we did.

AoD

In some ways Australia is a powder keg. A bit like a forest that is kept from burning so building up a big fuel load. Low vaccination rates and very low natural immunity mixed with complacency (among the population if not the government) and a much more infectious Delta variant could lead to significant cases. A lot of countries that did well in earlier waves are getting devastated by Delta, running out of oxygen to treat patients, etc. I understand there was a party in Sydney with 30 attendees. One person arrived with COVID-19, and the only ones who left without it were the 4 fully vaccinated people in attendance. Wow!

In some ways Australia is a powder keg. A bit like a forest that is kept from burning so building up a big fuel load. Low vaccination rates and very low natural immunity mixed with complacency (among the population if not the government) and a much more infectious Delta variant could lead to significant cases. A lot of countries that did well in earlier waves are getting devastated by Delta, running out of oxygen to treat patients, etc. I understand there was a party in Sydney with 30 attendees. One person arrived with COVID-19, and the only ones who left without it were the 4 fully vaccinated people in attendance. Wow!

It is - just like any population would with low levels of vaccination. The plus side is that they have also demonstrated the ability to lock down and control community spread far, far more effectively than we ever did. Claiming that they did poorly is like the US claiming it did better than Canada for the few weeks earlier in spring where our per rata cases exceeded theirs.

AoD

So Quebec will maintain social distancing and masks at least until November for offices. I'm afraid Ontario will be doing something similar because of its risk averness. Rdiculous.

So Quebec will maintain social distancing and masks at least until November for offices. I'm afraid Ontario will be doing something similar because of its risk averness. Rdiculous.

At first I was adverse to this as well however it does make sense to go slow especially with things like a staged reopening.

We are progressing in the right direction case wise right now. Reopening and loosening restrictions need to be done carefully to avoid future regrets. Yes we are progressing well with vaccinations but there does need to be a period of analysis to make sure that we are not going to end up with a million and one cases if we let our guard down.

Not everyone is or will be vaccinated and we need to take that into account. I am not saying snuff out every active case in Ontario but I am saying we need to go slow to avoid a situation like they had in other countries with the Delta Variant.

The numbers may be low now but that can change in an instant if there is unforeseen hiccup.

Man, I really hate when cooks wash their hands when there are Norovirus outbreaks, too.

75% of the population should have gotten their two doses in a few weeks. November is indeed ridiculous. At that point people should be able to go by their own risk factors.

I agree, November is far too long for the mask restrictions to be going on.

This is why we need a DOMESTIC vaccine passport. Rights issues aside, if people want to go without masks there needs to be proof of full vaccination or LEGITIMATE medical exemptions.

There are far too many nutbars, anti-maskers and self-righteous SJWs out there to work off the honor system. The moment you release mask restrictions it becomes free game for those looking for an excuse. We need to have a Plan B in place before loosening restrictions.

75% of the population should have gotten their two doses in a few weeks. November is indeed ridiculous. At that point people should be able to go by their own risk factors.
I'm sorry that a minor inconvenience is more important than making sure we're in the clear, especially with Delta running through both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. But I'll leave it to your epidemiological expertise.

I'm sorry that a minor inconvenience is more important than making sure we're in the clear, especially with Delta running through both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. But I'll leave it to your epidemiological expertise.
Say that to small businesses... minor inconvenience my ass. As Alberta is fully reopening today and other provinces doing so will be soon, wé´ll see how it'll go anyways.

Say that to small businesses... minor inconvenience my ass. As Alberta is fully reopening today and other provinces doing so will be soon, wé´ll see how it'll go anyways.
Wearing a mask and keeping distant are a *minor* inconvenience. As for Alberta, they’re Texas North. They aren’t exactly a paragon of responsible public health.

Wearing a mask is second nature now. It's like wearing a seatbelt in the car.

I am truly curious whether mask-wearing for colds, flus and coughs will take as a general practice. (not universally, but among a good chunk of the population). I haven't gotten a single cold or flu in the past year and a half - and I am someone who always gets colds every year, sometimes more than once.

AoD

Back