News   Jul 22, 2024
 696     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 532     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

When my husband was in quarantine, he got about five phone calls and a visit. It's not harassment, it's monitoring, and considering how people behave these days, it's needed.

I mean, the whole jumping through the technically legal, but ethically suspect quarantine loophole told me everything I needed to know about this couple already. Self-absorbed, entitled, special - I have vaccinations, therefore I don't need to be quarantined. Since when was THAT the rule?

AoD

Denial. It's not just a river.

I have a bit of a problem with the speculation that "religious groups who have experienced historic harms at the hand of governments abroad before immigrating to Canada, including Mennonite communities". The Mennonite communities have been in southern Manitoba since the 1870s.

Another story said 2 deaths of men in their 20s in ICU in Manitoba.

Denial. It's not just a river.

I have a bit of a problem with the speculation that "religious groups who have experienced historic harms at the hand of governments abroad before immigrating to Canada, including Mennonite communities". The Mennonite communities have been in southern Manitoba since the 1870s.

Another story said 2 deaths of men in their 20s in ICU in Manitoba.

Which is why it is important for religious leaders to take the lead getting vaccinated (and the majority of them does, precisely to set the example) - unless of course they also belong to the denial camp (like that Aylmer guy).

AoD

So now there's dueling attack ads, or at least ones that contradict each other -- one attacking him for having border crossings not be restrictive enough, another for being too restrictive !
It’s almost like these people actually don’t care about public health...

This is a great perspective from economist Tyler Cowen on the re-emerging "lab-leak" theory as discussed in the New York Times.

{I} would add one point about why this matters so much. “Our wet market was low quality and poorly governed” is a story consistent with the Chinese elites not being entirely at fault. Wet markets, after all, are a kind of atavism, and China knows the country is going to evolve away from them over time. They represent the old order. You can think of the CCP as both building infrastructure and moving the country’s food markets into modernity (that’s infrastructure too, isn’t it?), albeit with lags. “We waited too long to get rid of the wet markets” is bad, but if anything suggests the CCP should have done all the more to revolutionize and modernize China.

In contrast, the story of “our government-run research labs are low quality and poorly governed”…that seems to place the blame entirely on the shoulders of the CCP and also on its technocratic, modernizing tendencies. Under that account, the CCP spread something that “the earlier China” did not, and that strikes strongly at the heart of CCP legitimacy. Keep in mind how much the Chinese apply a historical perspective to everything.
Ultimately, I believe we are a whole year, if not months more, beyond a date where true origins can be discovered. Investigations will most likely continue but uncover only false leads, or theories which happen to fit the facts but cannot be proven or disproven; however those theories could have huge international political fallout anyway.

Last edited:
Ontario is on track to see the 7 day average drop below 1,000 by Tuesday, which is 4-5 days earlier than I expected it to two weeks ago.

At current rates we will be having a couple hundred cases a day by the start of next week.

by the time “phase 1” starts we could be effectively at 100-200 cases a day, but still no haircuts! Gotta wait another 3 weeks for that!

by the time we are allowed haircuts BC and Alberta will have lifted all restrictions and will be removing mask mandates, much like the rest of the world, but Ontario is special. Covid cases could jump to 5,000 a day overnight if people are allowed to eat indoors or get a haircut. Cant have that can we?

Ontario is on track to see the 7 day average drop below 1,000 by Tuesday, which is 4-5 days earlier than I expected it to two weeks ago.

At current rates we will be having a couple hundred cases a day by the start of next week.

by the time “phase 1” starts we could be effectively at 100-200 cases a day, but still no haircuts! Gotta wait another 3 weeks for that!
I will not be amazed if we see a small increase in the next few days as we start to see cases spread during the Victoria Day weekend but ...

by the time we are allowed haircuts BC and Alberta will have lifted all restrictions and will be removing mask mandates, much like the rest of the world, but Ontario is special. Covid cases could jump to 5,000 a day overnight if people are allowed to eat indoors or get a haircut. Cant have that can we?

It will be interesting to see the mid-term impacts on the personal care industry. I suspect that most of the pre-pandemic long-term employees will rush back to work, but the number of new entrants to these jobs will drop dramatically to a point there's a labour shortage. There's also only so many new people who can even be trained at once. I expect a rise in salaries for workers in these jobs, and in-turn prices for their services to go up.

Prices are already up 20-25% from the start of the pandemic at my barber - not like they’ve been open for 6 months to see their latest pricing.

How is this possible? Every day has been >1k cases. How can the average be below 1k on Tuesday?

I guarantee cases wont be consistently under 500 for well over a week if not two.

The QC border still being closed is ridiculous... and extended 2 weeks even more so. People complained Ford didn't listen to the "experts", now he does and it shows you can't just only listen to doctors.

How is this possible? Every day has been >1k cases. How can the average be below 1k on Tuesday?

I guarantee cases wont be consistently under 500 for well over a week if not two.
The 7 day average is now sitting at 1,154 and has been falling by an average of 100 a day for the last week, and about 80-90 a day since the peak of the third wave.

every week cases range day to day, typically at their lowest Monday and Tuesday, then peaking on Friday, dropping slightly Saturday and Sunday, and then a big drop going into the next week again on Monday and Tuesday.

specifically, Tuesday usually sees a huge drop in the daily case count.

while I can’t predict the future, trends from the last 2 months indicate that tomorrow most likely will have well below 1,000 cases and Tuesday will be even lower, likely in the 5-600 range if current trends hold. Monday in the 8-900 range and Tuesday in the 5-600 range would be sufficient to drop the 7 day average below 1,000 by Tuesday. At worst Tuesday May see the 7 day average sitting *just* above 1000 at 1,013 or something.

recall that the 7 day average dropped by over 700 in the last week, and we were seeing 2,000+ case days as late as last Wednesday. Cases are plummeting at an incredible rate, to be expected with a population that is rapidly entering herd immunity.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the mid-term impacts on the personal care industry. I suspect that most of the pre-pandemic long-term employees will rush back to work, but the number of new entrants to these jobs will drop dramatically to a point there's a labour shortage. There's also only so many new people who can even be trained at once. I expect a rise in salaries for workers in these jobs, and in-turn prices for their services to go up.

It'll depend on the profession. I know someone who was training to be an aesthetician and graduated last year between lockdown periods. She wasn't able to get a job yet because spa type places in Toronto have remained closed throughout this time. Prices will also go up because of increased costs for cleaning and PPE.

Last edited:

Back