News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 2K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 668     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

According to BlogTO, John Tory and CP24 salons may not open on the 12th.

I understand the health concerns involved but this is not helpful because as the saying goes "s**t or get off the pot". Salons cannot be prepping to open every other week while being ordered to close down before they open again.

People book appointments, money is invested into reopening and then bamm. change of course.

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2021/03/toronto-hair-salons-barber-shops-open-might-not/

This is no different than what Ford said when he first announced it. It always came with a big if attached.

restaurants in Hamilton are ticked though. They increased capacity to 50% for red zone to now being closed in the grey zone.

This is no different than what Ford said when he first announced it. It always came with a big if attached.

restaurants in Hamilton are ticked though. They increased capacity to 50% for red zone to now being closed in the grey zone.

True but for an industry that is in desperate need of cash flow, stability is key in reopening. I personally have booked 3 times already and if they close again I am not booking until July.

So apparently we are going to suspend the A-Z vaccine.

This is stupid, but there are people out there with a very clear explanation why: It's risk adversity run amok to an extreme. People operating in "normal times" who will not accept the reality of the situation and adjust. People who want favourable test data with confidence intervals out to more than three standard deviations from the norm, proving irrefutable safety because that's how they always do it, and they refuse to pivot to a situation where circumstances dictate you back that off. Anything not zero documented and explained risk is too much. It doesn't matter to them if people die because of their risk aversion, then they consider themselves "wrong for the right reasons" and continue on proud of their work.

This is for those under the age of 55, which wasn’t happening in Ontario, not a blanket suspension.

So apparently we are going to suspend the A-Z vaccine.

This is stupid, but there are people out there with a very clear explanation why: It's risk adversity run amok to an extreme. People operating in "normal times" who will not accept the reality of the situation and adjust. People who want favourable test data with confidence intervals out to more than three standard deviations from the norm, proving irrefutable safety because that's how they always do it, and they refuse to pivot to a situation where circumstances dictate you back that off. Anything not zero documented and explained risk is too much. It doesn't matter to them if people die because of their risk aversion, then they consider themselves "wrong for the right reasons" and continue on proud of their work.

Raising a concern isn't incorrect.

The manner in which that concern is being addressed does not, however, appear to be line with proper statistical analysis and risk-weighting.

This is for those under the age of 55, which wasn’t happening in Ontario, not a blanket suspension.

In reading the article, to the extent that the condition identified is a concern, it would seem that it is primarily a concern for women.

I'm not sure that the evidence supports suspending access to this for women; but it certainly doesn't seem to support it for men.

I'd further add, if this issue appears to be one experienced by people w/low blood platelets; its not like this is something that can't be ascertained through testing.

Indeed, I'd expect many people who have routine tests through their doctor over the years may well have seen their platelet level tested.

Why not just advise people who know they have a low platelet level to get a different shot; and if people are unsure, to check w/their family doctor?

91902643_10156567074196920_8299430159514075136_n.jpg

From link.

Meanwhile in B.C., they’re locking down again. I don’t believe they had closed ski resorts to this point.
They’ve got a sizeable outbreak of the P1 variant in BC. However, they apparently test more (I’ve read they may test all samples) for variants than other places. The P1 variant could be steadily growing in Ontario and the US too, but we don’t track it as well.

Edit: my information may be about a month outdated. Ontario appears to be testing a lot of samples for variants.

Last edited:
Ugh. The use of caduceus bothers me to no end.

It’s not a medical symbol. It represents Hermes and is (thusly) associated with messengers as well as thieves.

About a century ago, someone in the US military thought it was the Rod of Alcepius (the proper symbol — one snake around a staff with no wings) and it took hold.

A few weeks ago NACI says A-Z vaccine was not recommended for people 65 & over. Now they’re say it’s not safe for people under 55. Which is it? 😆

Just stay away from this vaccine, too much bad press around it. I will get the other ones.

It sucks but it is needed.

To make it work though, a COMPLETE shut down is required. No open businesses other than grocery, medical or pharmaceutical along with a strictly enforced curfew.

None of this big box store being open because they sell groceries crap. Mandate the number of people from each household that can be in a store together at one time

I am sorry but if we cannot take a lockdown seriously this will not work.

It sucks but it is needed.

To make it work though, a COMPLETE shut down is required. No open businesses other than grocery, medical or pharmaceutical along with a strictly enforced curfew.

None of this big box store being open because they sell groceries crap. Mandate the number of people from each household that can be in a store together at one time

I am sorry but if we cannot take a lockdown seriously this will not work.
You're not going to get full compliance. You cannot just tell people that we are shutting down, for a few weeks. That bridge was crossed last year. I think that society in general needs to have a discussion about whether continuing lockdowns into the summer is the best for society, in general. So I'll start it:

I think that it can be detrimental to society. It's true that lockdowns do reduce COVID transmission. It's also true that doctors are trained to think about public health, whereas politicians are *supposed* to balance all the factors out and make the right decision.

An entire generation's education was disrupted for a year, and millions of people have lost their jobs. How many lives were saved? I am wondering how much stress this has caused to society in general. Probably quite a lot.

What can we do? I support measures that reduce transmission (even slightly) more when they have lesser impacts. Masks, should stay until everyone is vaccinated. Lockdowns every other month should be eliminated as soon as everyone over 50 is vaccinated. And so on.

I find it interesting that the older generations, who have more years behind than ahead, seem to be more ok with the 'loss' of a year or so out of their lives, than the younger generations.

Back