News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.6K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 603     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

OMG. It will probably end up being one night. You won't eat a stale bagel. You travelled during a travel advisory in the midst of a pandemic to an area with little to no public health measures in place. And we’re supposed to say welcome home, run around and spread your germs? No sympathy here.

Last edited:
From the Star:

Boo hoo. They left in November - when the pandemic is in full swing again and during a period of time when travel outside the country is strongly discouraged.

If only there is a good way to strip them of their medical coverage - constitutionally or otherwise as well. Bunch of annoyingly entitled leeches.

AoD

I would gladly take stale bagels and have a $2000 hotel bill, over being stuck in one of the deadest places in America for Covid.

I recall watching one of the news channels when the pending new arrivals procedure was announced, and they were interviewing a lady who was departing for Europe (with no mask in the terminal). She said that if they try to put her in quarantine when she returns home "they'll hear from my lawyers". Oh to be a fly on the wall that day.

The folks who toddled off, and apparently continue to do so, in spite of all public health advice because winter is Oh. So. Terrible. can't convince me they think they are smarter than the average bear.

In hindsight, if we had done a comprehensive (not total) lock-down from the get-go for two months, and restricted international travel, imagine where we would be today.

Add some sugar and frosting and you got yourself a makeshift doughnut, even if it tastes a little weird.

Makeshift: The pandemic response in this land.

I guess ruining perfectly good stale bagels with sugar wouldn't hurt at this point. ;) Sorry, I'm a no sugar kind of guy.

This is the worst time to be on lay off.....there's nothing to do. I can't even go volunteer at CAMH like I like to when I'm not working. Maybe I can go volunteer to feed people stale bagels and listen to their travel stories.

According to CP, as published by The Star..............a phased re-opening of Ontario will be announced Monday.

Small, rural areas w/low cases numbers will re-open as soon as Tuesday.

Most of the province, excluding the GTA the week following.

Toronto, Peel and environs will re-open on February 22nd.

I recall watching one of the news channels when the pending new arrivals procedure was announced, and they were interviewing a lady who was departing for Europe (with no mask in the terminal). She said that if they try to put her in quarantine when she returns home "they'll hear from my lawyers". Oh to be a fly on the wall that day

Yep that was Global News.

I laughed when I saw that because her lawyers can't do s***. Even if she did pull that stunt she would be laughed out of court because she was pre-warned before she left that she would be stuck in quarantine upon her return yet she still opted to travel knowing that.

It's people like that that deserve to be locked up.

According to CP, as published by The Star..............a phased re-opening of Ontario will be announced Monday.

Ugh, reopening Toronto is extremely premature. Let's get more vaccines, and let Ford prove that he can actually start distributing them efficiently. Right now we have more vaccines waiting to be used than several provinces have actually received.

So much for the under 1000 cases a day & 150 ICU patients to lift the lockdown. I figured Ford would eventually cave in and open the province this month.

A "nice" side-effect of COVID-19...

This is shaping up to be the winter nobody got sick – unless you got COVID-19

From link.

Every week since last spring, Kelly O’Dwyer-Manuel, a marketer and mother of two in Peterborough, Ont., has received an e-mail from the Public Health Agency of Canada asking if she has experienced a cough or fever in the past seven days. Every week, she clicks “no.”

Ms. O’Dwyer-Manuel is one of more than 12,000 participants in Canada’s FluWatch program, a crowdsourced surveillance effort that helps public-health officials keep an eye on the spread of viral illnesses in the community.

This winter, Canada’s FluWatchers have had next to nothing to watch. Of the 12,207 participants who answered the survey in the most recent week, just 15 reported having a cough and fever, a massive drop from previous seasons. (Two of those went on to test positive for COVID-19.)

“This is the mildest winter we’ve had for illness,” Ms. O’Dwyer-Manuel says of her family, which includes a baby and a five-year-old who, in prepandemic times, picked up the usual array of viruses at daycare every winter.

One of the more dissonant aspects of this pandemic year is just how well people have felt if they’ve been lucky enough to evade SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The travel restrictions, masking, physical distancing and obsessive hand-washing undertaken to control the pandemic have all but stamped out other seasonal viruses.

Influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which usually send thousands to hospital at this time of year, have barely been detected. Pesky viruses that cause run-of-the mill cold symptoms – adenoviruses, the non-pandemic coronaviruses – are down dramatically. The exception was rhinovirus, another cause of the common cold, which spiked in early autumn and contributed to long lines at COVID-19 testing centres around back-to-school time.
The “almost non-existent” cold and cough season even forced a Prince Edward Island lozenge plant to lay off 30 temporary employees at the end of January.

It was never a given that coronavirus restrictions would suppress other respiratory viruses so thoroughly. Many infectious-disease experts and public-health officials spent the summer bracing for the nightmare scenario of a harsh flu season colliding with a second wave of the pandemic.

“We had this lump-in-the-throat thought of, ‘Okay, what happens if this is actually a twindemic?’” said Jason Kindrachuk, a Canada Research Chair in the molecular pathogenesis of emerging and re-emerging viruses at the University of Manitoba. “And then flu just disappeared.”

Canadian labs have found just 55 influenza cases so far this season, compared to more than 20,000 at the same time last year. The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control reported that at least 12 of this winter’s influenza detections are thought to reflect lab tests picking up traces of the live attenuated vaccine in people who had recently received their shots.

Allison McGeer, an infectious-disease consultant at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital who has spent decades studying the flu, is perplexed by its absence across the Northern Hemisphere this year. “If the measures we’re using are insufficient to control COVID,” she said, “then why would they be sufficient to control flu? That’s the relevant question.”

One possible answer, Dr. McGeer said, is that the world was simply due for a quiet flu season. Another is the higher-than-usual uptake of the shot. Still another is that SARS-CoV-2 has crowded out other viruses, the way a pandemic strain of influenza replaces seasonal strains.

No matter the precise mechanism, it’s clear the coronavirus – and the measures enacted to curb it – have had a profound effect on other respiratory viruses as well.

Jesse Papenburg, a pediatric infectious-disease physician at Montreal Children’s Hospital, said he never could have imagined a season like this.

Over the past four years, his hospital has admitted an average of 234 children every winter for bronchiolitis and pneumonia, lower respiratory tract infections frequently touched off by viruses.

So far in 2020-21, Montreal Children’s Hospital has logged just 15 such admissions, Dr. Papenburg said. Not a single case of RSV, normally the leading cause of hospital admissions for children under the age of 1, has been detected in Quebec this season.

“That is absolutely unheard of,” Dr. Papenburg said. He had funding lined up for a pilot study in childhood pneumonia, but was forced to postpone recruitment until next season. “It would have been shooting ourselves in the foot to try and do that now.”

Now that Canadians without COVID-19 have experienced a winter free of stuffy noses, nagging coughs, fevers, exhaustion and other rotten symptoms, it’s an open question as to how many will stick with practices such as masking in crowded places when the pandemic subsides.

“I do think that, moving forward, we will be different as a community around how much we return to the old ways, and that’ll be very helpful,” said Lindy Samson, chief of staff at CHEO (formerly the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario), where not a single child has been admitted for influenza this season. Only one has been admitted for RSV, compared to more than 300 last year.

But extra precautions might not be enough to forestall a rebound of the flu and other viruses next season, said Rachel Baker, an epidemiologist and disease modeller at Princeton University.

She and her fellow researchers modelled what is likely to happen to influenza and RSV once COVID-19 precautions are lifted.

“You get this big buildup of population susceptibility” while the viruses are suppressed, she said, “which can mean that when you step back from those control measures, you see a large outbreak.”

So much for the under 1000 cases a day & 150 ICU patients to lift the lockdown. I figured Ford would eventually cave in and open the province this month.

I'm not one for being fair to Ford, but our Medical Officer of Health has moved that target a few times.

There really isn't magic in one number for the whole province.

The key was always about managing hospital capacity.

With the very important caveat, that that like the stock market, historical performance is not necessarily indicative of the future........

At the current rate of decline in new cases, we will be well under 1,000 per day in 2 weeks time.

Whether we would meet the ICU target is a bit more iffy.

However, it should, in theory, be falling on a time-delay in line w/new case growth.

IF you look at new case growth, we're back to the numbers from ~ Dec 1st now.

1612645066061.png

That's from here:

New Vaughan, Ont. hospital ready to welcome ICU patients to alleviate capacity issues

From link.

Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital is a new hospital getting ready for an unexpected opening.

On Sunday, the hospital will welcome 12 intensive care patients from Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, along with 30 others to its general internal medicine beds.

The move comes as way to help address the surge of COVID-19 patients and capacity issues in hard hit areas in the Greater Toronto Area.
“About 3 weeks ago, we started the projections with respect to critical care in particular and started to understand that the province was going to need upwards of 500 critical care beds,” said President and CEO of Mackenzie Health Altaf Stationwala.

Tuesday, intensive care patients from other parts of the GTA will start being transferred. The hospital has 35 ICU beds and 150 general internal medicine beds.

As the hospital was getting ready to welcome patients to its emergency room and other departments, it worked with the province to find a way to help alleviate stress in the health care system.

On Thursday CTV News Toronto was given a tour of the facility and taken into the ICU.

Stationwala showed off its single bedrooms, rooms with natural light and ventilations system to manage rooms or wards depending on the infection.

“Positive or negative air pressure depending on the kind of the virus that we are trying to manage, droplet pot airborne so it just gives us better flexibility in managing the types of patients and obviously in a COVID environment even more so,” he said.

The hospital said it is the first smart hospital in Canada. Some of the high tech gadgets include a Real-Time Locating system, and plenty of gadgets.

When “Code blue” is activated for cardiac patients it sends information health care workers’ phones. Machines know if hands have been sanitized or not.

Leading up to the opening, the team has been training staff, checking workflows and systems to make everything is good to go.

“These are the most vulnerable patients that we will have to provide that world class health care,” said Gail Chapeskie, Manager of the Critical Care and Respiratory Therapy Department. “Very excited. This is a once in a life-time opportunity.”
“I feel honoured and proud and I’m just amazed at our team,” said Altaf Stationwala. “We turned this hospital upside down, changed the focus and redeployed staff.”

Stationwala said planning for Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital as been in the works for a decade, with construction starting four-and-a-half years ago.

There is no immediate timeline for when the hospital’s emergency room departments and other units will open.

Like I said after the first wave: without any plan, we’ll be back in indefinite semi-lockdown eventually.

We’re supposed to get a lot more vaccine in March and ramp up in April. Maybe things won’t be as bad.

Back