News   Sep 06, 2024
 295     0 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 499     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I heard from someone who had a vaccination appointment for yesterday. It was canceled because the hospital decided they were only doing them Monday to Friday.

If that's the case I'm hoping the person who made the decision gets fired. Covid doesn't take weekends off and neither should vaccinations.

My kind of people: I don't care about your deadlines, I'm not working weekends. 😆

Though, on a serious note, why would a hospital decide to not vaccinate on weekends, given that hospitals are 24/7/365?

Because, truthfully, hospitals aren't 24/7/365

They're 'open' on the weekends; but very thinly staffed.

Elective surgery is not normally done on weekends, often MRI/PET scan aren't either, unless emergent.

There's a reason far more people in hospitals die on weekends, because there's far fewer experts checking on them and readily available to help.

i can't speak for the particular hospital in question, but I'd wager they had the vaccinations done by their outpatient clinic who don't work on weekends.

My kind of people: I don't care about your deadlines, I'm not working weekends. 😆

Though, on a serious note, why would a hospital decide to not vaccinate on weekends, given that hospitals are 24/7/365?
No sense in wasting resources if they are able to administer all their vaccinations in 40 hours.

Because, truthfully, hospitals aren't 24/7/365

They're 'open' on the weekends; but very thinly staffed.

For real?
Huh, I've learnt something.
Who came up with this bit of lunacy?
I would think that weekends see the highest number of trauma patients per day, for example. I know that's when I do most of the dumb things I might get up to during any given week. ;)
I guess they really are my kind of people! XD

Didn't know that.......Is this a norm across the OECD?

No sense in wasting resources if they are able to administer all their vaccinations in 40 hours.

That's a fact, but begs the question then of why they would book someone in for vaccination on a day they had no inclination to vaccinate anyone.

For real?
Huh, I've learnt something.
Who came up with this bit of lunacy?
I would think that weekends see the highest number of trauma patients per day, for example. I know that's when I do most of the dumb things I might get up to during any given week. ;)
I guess they really are my kind of people! XD

Didn't know that.......Is this a norm across the OECD?

Article on weekend effect:

Earlier study is here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11547721/ (looked at Ontario hospitals in the 1988-1997)

Relevant passage here:

Conclusions: Patients with some serious medical conditions are more likely to die in the hospital if they are admitted on a weekend than if they are admitted on a weekday.

As to how global the phenomenon is, we have a study from the British Medical Journal outlining it as an issue in the U.K:

Relevant passage:

Sicker patients at the weekend, but even after adjustment for this their risk of death is higher

From the Lancet, at this link:

We have this passage:

Since then, studies from around the world have likewise shown differences in mortality between patients admitted at weekends and those admitted during the week.

So it does seem to be global issue.

Interesting too that your observation about sicker patients on weekends also seems to hold.

Now that's a bad combination, greater need, less resources.

It won't.

I'm not out after work anyway and there's nowhere to go and nothing to do on weekends. It's just another reactionary piece of theatre for the ignorant and fearful masses.

We lived through the G20 circus, so you know damn well some poor innocent person, probably a person of colour, will get arrested for the horrible crime of being outdoors at 8:01 pm

We lived through the G20 circus, so you know damn well some poor innocent person, probably a person of colour, will get arrested for the horrible crime of being outdoors at 8:01 pm

Arrested? We haven't woken up in China, in spite of what some people might wish.

Though, you don't have to tell me....I've been wrongfully arrested and beat by police so I know what it's like in this town. So, when I invevitably get stopped out after curfew (because I fully intend to disregard any such regulation, as I do with all illogical laws) I'll try not to get too lippy. :D

I hate to say it but I don't care if you are blue, yellow, brown, black or white. If you are out past a specified time during a curfew without reason you are breaking the law.

If a curfew starts at 8:00 and you are outside at 8:01 that's fine IF you are heading home or to work. If you are out because you are heading to your buddies place or to grab food that's a different story.

The point is that a person of colour is far more likely to be stopped for being out past curfew that a white person. Said white person would likely get a finger wagging at the most. The previous post isn’t about the curfew per se but about white privilege

The point is that a person of colour is far more likely to be stopped for being out past curfew that a white person. Said white person would likely get a finger wagging at the most. The previous post isn’t about the curfew per se but about white privilege

Cool story. I'll let you know how my interaction(s) with law enforcement go seeing as I'm super privileged to have had past negative interactions with TPS.

In other news: The people who brought you the Quebec curfew admit there's no evidence a curfew will do anything, whilst failing to shut down the primary source of transmissions. Covidiots.

Dr. Horacio Arruda, the province's health director, acknowledged Wednesday there is no hard scientific evidence to support a curfew's effectiveness.

From this CBC article.

Yeah, but just for fun so it looks like we're doing something.

Oh, this is a good one for some of you.
Admittedly it's quite a slog to get through, but should be good for reading to fall asleep easier, if not good for some self-reflection. ;)

Moralization of Covid-19 health response: Asymmetry in tolerance for human costs

We hypothesized that because Covid-19 (C19) remains an urgent and visible threat, efforts to combat its negative health consequences have become moralized. This moralization of health-based efforts may generate asymmetries in judgement, whereby harmful by-products of those efforts (i.e., instrumental harm) are perceived as more acceptable than harm resulting from non-C19 efforts, such as prioritizing the economy or non-C19 issues.

I hate to say it but I don't care if you are blue, yellow, brown, black or white. If you are out past a specified time during a curfew without reason you are breaking the law.

If a curfew starts at 8:00 and you are outside at 8:01 that's fine IF you are heading home or to work. If you are out because you are heading to your buddies place or to grab food that's a different story.

Because the law was crafted with the explicit thought about that one single minute, and not a broad public health concern with enormous gray areas over months involving actions of people which have difficult to predict, and often have random unpredictable outcomes? We can just dumb it down to "7:59 p.m. is fine and 8:01 p.m. is a permanent criminal record"?

This is exactly how systemic racist policing has enforced racism (and classism) for 100 years, from "you were traveling at 51kph in a 50kph zone" to "you have been randomly selected for additional airport screening."

Last edited:
In light of the anecdote from @gabe the other day...........

I was encouraged to see the family of someone who died of Covid, and worked in a Cargill meat-packing plant in Alberta went to police last week and insisted on opening a criminal investigation into his death; and whether the company was guilty of criminal negligence in regards to same.

From that story, familiar facts:

The written complaint suggests Benito Quesada died due to criminal negligence and alleges the following failures by Cargill to prevent the spread of the virus:

• The company failed to provide adequate PPE.
  • Workers on production lines were not physically distant.
  • Lunchrooms were crowded, with tables less than half a metre apart.
  • Company medical personnel cleared workers for duty despite positive COVID-19 tests or symptoms.
  • Workers faced unpaid, temporary layoff if they didn't report for work out of fear of the virus.
  • Workers were promised a $500 bonus for not missing a shift over a two-month period.

Hopefully the RCMP will take the complaint seriously; charges being laid would be one of the few things likely to make a difference.

Back