News   Apr 23, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 302     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I had an inkling this was coming and got my hair cut, a couple of days ago.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
4072.jpg

From link.

Not locking down York is just so ridiculous. but I guess that's his (rich) base. Can't have that.

AoD

It's going to be a hell of a mess in York, Halton, and Durham and everywhere else! In the weeks to come. I just saw someone on my facebook feed say.. " I guess i will be Christmas shopping at Vaughan Mills this week"

I have a friend who owns a salon in Halton region. There is already talk of prioritizing local customers over those from other areas.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed 50,000 Canadians (population at the time: 8,788,483). So far, COVID-19 has killed 11,265 (population today: 37,742,154).

The Spanish Flu was followed by the 1920's economic boom.

They had also just come out of the first world war, and by the end of the 1920's the economy completely collapsed. Which took another world war to pull the economy back up.

It's going to be a hell of a mess in York, Halton, and Durham and everywhere else! In the weeks to come. I just saw someone on my facebook feed say.. " I guess i will be Christmas shopping at Vaughan Mills this week"

But but... York Region thinks that they are doing fine with the current restrictions.

I give it a week before York, Halton and Durham are on lockdown.

Ontario dumped some data on the R-rate for the province (re-transmission #); a reminder for those who may have forgotten, the desire here is to see the number below 1, indicating declining cases.

For the province as a whole (only to Nov 12), the number doesn't appear as bad as I might have thought; but I suspect, that's because its province-wide and so higher numbers in the GTA and Ottawa are being moderate by those in South-Western, Central and Northern Ontario.

1605917961494.png

In a related note, tangentially, to the above......

Steinbeck, Manitoba seems to have a problem:

1605918131846.png

For comparison, the Ontario-wide number yesterday was 3.6%

Ontario numbers have actually been surprisingly stable over the last 7-days.

This “lock-down” is still fairly limited by international standards. I’m not getting much traction on this thread with thoughts for effected small business owners. I assume by early spring next year about 1/3 of all main street businesses will be shuttered.

On a positive note if you’re ambitious 2021 will probably be the best year in a generation to start-up a small Main Street business!

Ontario numbers have actually been surprisingly stable over the last 7-days.

This “lock-down” is still fairly limited by international standards. I’m not getting much traction on this thread with thoughts for effected small business owners. I assume by early spring next year about 1/3 of all main street businesses will be shuttered.

On a positive note if you’re ambitious 2021 will probably be the best year in a generation to start-up a small Main Street business!

I'm grateful we could still go outside even during the height of our outbreak in the spring. Wuhan, Spain and Italy were much more restrictive.

This is a story from the U.S., highlighting politicians, the super-rich and the powerful all flaunting Covid guidelines, directives and policies.

Notably, here, many are Democrats (clearly lots of Republicans have been doing the same).

Here, Governor Newsom of California is highlighted for attending a large, opulent dinner with lobbyists at The French Laundry; where no one wore masks.

Indicted for similar offenses are Speaker of the House Pelosi; an Diane Feinstein, the 87-year old Senator from California.

This creates a real optics issue for Americans in particular; but can also fuel cynicism here that the rules are for some people; not others.

Back