News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Northern Ontario Road Trip 1: Tobermory-Sudbury

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
In August, I made a figure-8 trip through no less than 14 regions, counties and districts to Timmins and back.

RoadTrip.jpg

Here's the first of two sets: Tobermory to Kirkland Lake. It was raining up to as far as Wiarton, so no pics before there.

Bruce Peninsulia National Park Centre - the rain stopped here. It's worth the visit. It includes a good interpretive centre and an observation tower.

Tobermory1.jpg

Tobermory2.jpg

Tobermory3.jpg

Tobermory4.jpg

Tobermory5.jpg

Tobermory6.jpg

Tobermory7.jpg

The town itself is more interesting than I expected. Reminds me of Port Dover, almost has a New England or Nova Scotia feel.

Tobermory8.jpg

Tobermory9.jpg

Tobermory10.jpg

Tobermory11.jpg

Tobermory12.jpg

Tobermory13.jpg

Tobermory14.jpg

Tobermory15.jpg

Tobermory19.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun

Tobermory16.jpg

Tobermory17.jpg

Tobermory18.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun1.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun2.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun3.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun4.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun5.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun6.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun7.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun8.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun9.jpg

Chi-Cheemaun10.jpg

On Manitoulin Island

Manitoulin1.jpg

Manitoulin2.jpg

Manitoulin3.jpg

Manitoulin4.jpg

Manitoulin5.jpg

La Cloche Mountains. Very scenic through here.

Manitoulin6.jpg

Espanola is dominated by the paper mill.

Manitoulin7.jpg

Next: Colbalt and Kirkland Lake

I love the Bruce, so thanks for these. It has, so far, avoided the over-building of other cottage get-aways. The Huron side is occasional beach and rock-strewn shore line, and the Georgina Bay side features the long-running cliff of the Niagra Escarpment (and the Bruce Trail).

Don't know which enterances into the Bruce National Park you had the opportunity to try out, but did you go down Half-way Log Dump Road? The shoreline there is absolutely spectacular.

The La Cloche are quite beautiful. Around Kilarney the bright-white quartzite base of a billion year old mountain range is quite impressive. It is as white as snow.

Look forward to seeing your other images.

Good roadtrip pics!

ST: Neat roadtrip pics! It does have a Northern New England feel to it as said. Sometimes getting out of the City for a breather is the key to life...LI MIKE

Wonderful shots of my favourite part of Ontario--Killarney and Manitoulin Island. Of course, being a "Haweater" (I was born very near that swing bridge) I'm somewhat biased. One interesting--one could say sad--thing about Manitoulin is that minus natural erosion it hasn't changed at all in 40 years. And it will, for the forseeable future, continue to possess the world's largest lake on an island in a lake.

Back