News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Northern Ontario Part 3: Timmins

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Timmins is where my father was born and grew up and partly for that reason it holds interest for me. Until recently, there was still family up here.

Driving into town, Highway 101 makes a long detour over a new road, in order to accomodate surface pit gold mining. Timmins was founded thanks to the discovery of gold, and with still significant deposits around, remains a major part pf the economy.

When the sign says "don't feed the bears", man you've better not feed the bears!

Timmins1.jpg

Shumacher, just to the east of the main town of Timmins. Has a real frontier feel to it. My father said that nearly every place on the main street (since by-passed) was a tavern. Most closed or burned down (of those, many were arson).

Timmins2.jpg

Timmins3.jpg

Timmins4.jpg

Timmins5.jpg

Timmins6.jpg

Timmins7.jpg

Timmins8.jpg

Timmins10.jpg

Downtown Timmins

Timmins11.jpg

Timmins12.jpg

Timmins13.jpg

Timmins15.jpg

Call centre. The building has the civic logo on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were subsidized by the city.

Timmins16.jpg

Trilingual sign on the police station.

Timmins17.jpg

Timmins18.jpg

Timmins27.jpg

Timmins28.jpg

Timmins29.jpg

Timmins30.jpg

Timmins31.jpg

Timmins32.jpg

Timmins33.jpg

Timmins34.jpg

Timmins37.jpg

Timmins39.jpg

Timmins20.jpg

Around town:

Timmins22.jpg

Timmins23.jpg

Timmins38.jpg

Like most places, the city has turned to tourism. The gold mine tour is quite good. I cannot vouch for the Shania Twain museum (whose presence is groan-inducing, IMO)

Timmins24.jpg

Timmins25.jpg

Timmins26.jpg

Timmins35.jpg

Timmins40.jpg

Upon leaving town on the west side, heading towards Highway 144 (one of the loneliest roads in Ontario), there's the mall, and then a new big-box retail has opened, including a new Wal-Mart (which replaced a location in the mall), and past that, Home Depot and a new Canadian Tire. No doubt, this has hurt downtown more than the slowly declining population, as even 10 years ago, was fairly healthy.

Timmins41.jpg

Timmins42.jpg

Timmins43.jpg

Leaving town on 144.

Timmins44.jpg

Timmins45.jpg

i wanna work at teletech now!

thx for the photo series sean!

Thanks for the photos of my hometown. I haven't been up there for four years, but I can see that the slow deterioration continues. Not that it was ever that great in the first place.

Thanks for the pics! Timmins has a definite frontier/resource town look to it, much more so than here in North Bay. I have cousins who live in Timmins so I've been there many times visiting. The downtown area is actually quite sizable given the city's population, however the buildings are rather nondescript.

Great photos Sean. Timmins looks like a miniature version of Sudbury (just with bigger trees). On your way up did you get a chance to stop at Onaping falls?

London Cafe's been there forever. It was where my father got his first job doing deliveries. It's certainly a strange name for a Chinese restaurant, and was surprised that I still found it open and busy.

Timmins,Ontario: interesting...

ST: Timmins as said has that northern frontier look to it. What was that third language listed on the TPD building? The ONR station is interesting and it looks like it serves both ONR Bus and Rail. It seems like in North America that you can't forget about Sprawl-Mart or other big box enterprises-or can't get away from them either.
Sean: On question-Are you of predominately Irish descent as I am and are there ethnic areas in small cities and towns in Ontario outside the obvious ones? - I'm just curious since I have never been up that far north in Ontario. Is Timmins predominately Native American in nature?
LI MIKE

Timmins is largely a white city, lots of French Canadians, Italians and people from various other European backgrounds. There is a sizable and growing Native population though, I'm guessing that the third language was probably Cree?

Back