News   Mar 28, 2024
 995     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

North York City Centre (Yonge & Sheppard)

I have been living in this area for three years and its really booming and lots for huge buildings, but I don't think its really a good thing cause this will attract more business to this area and everything stay the same regarding the parking lots and the street size. I think in 5 years this area will be over over crowded.

I have been living in this area for three years and its really booming and lots for huge buildings, but I don't think its really a good thing cause this will attract more business to this area and everything stay the same regarding the parking lots and the street size. I think in 5 years this area will be over over crowded.

If you don't like living near "huge buildings" or a growing neighbourhood filling up with new residents, North York Centre may not have been the best choice :). It's actually one of the places in Toronto with the most big new buildings & population growth.

2011 hardly makes you a pioneer. The huge buildings were already here! lol!

I remember the area 15 years ago when it was already booming but, I have to say, it's come a long, long way. I think the density increase, so far, is working well. The changes to Beecroft Rd and Doris Ave some years ago really relieved traffic strain, particularly for the locals getting in/out of the area. I would think most non-locals tend to take Yonge St for the scenery so these secondary throughfares are a blessing.

I am still a little concerned about the traffic congestion on the south side of Sheppard Ave though. The Avondale pocket is still pretty dense and there still aren't too many paths to get out to the main arteries. Ditto for the Lansing pocket, SW of Yonge/Sheppard. Does anyone know if there are any infrastructure changes proposed for these 2 sectors?

I remember the area 15 years ago when it was already booming but, I have to say, it's come a long, long way. I think the density increase, so far, is working well. The changes to Beecroft Rd and Doris Ave some years ago really relieved traffic strain, particularly for the locals getting in/out of the area. I would think most non-locals tend to take Yonge St for the scenery so these secondary throughfares are a blessing.

I am still a little concerned about the traffic congestion on the south side of Sheppard Ave though. The Avondale pocket is still pretty dense and there still aren't too many paths to get out to the main arteries. Ditto for the Lansing pocket, SW of Yonge/Sheppard. Does anyone know if there are any infrastructure changes proposed for these 2 sectors?

They are suppose to being Doris to Avondale. Not sure where I read about that...

This intersection is improving dramatically in my opinion from a just couple of years ago. Hullmark, Emerald and the low-rise building on the NW corner already make the place feel completely different, even though Hullmark & Emerald aren't finished.

I'm hoping that the area becomes even more diverse as existing projects reach completion and new ones begin. There is a lot of Asian representation in the restaurants/shops (which is only natural, considering the local population), so it would be great to get a more varied mix of offerings, especially as you work your way north to Finch and beyond.

I'm hoping that the area becomes even more diverse as existing projects reach completion and new ones begin. There is a lot of Asian representation in the restaurants/shops (which is only natural, considering the local population), so it would be great to get a more varied mix of offerings, especially as you work your way north to Finch and beyond.

Yonge & Sheppard should trade with Yonge & Eglinton, swap some Asian restaurants with some Italian restaurants to increase diversity in both neighbourhoods :)

I agree, I would also like to see a diverse mix in this area. I know many people who live in the area, both of Asian and non-Asian background, and a lot of them also prefer a good mix of cultures which not only helps grow the neighborhood but also reaches out to a broader audience, thereby enhancing the desirability of the community.

What do people think the future holds for NYCC? Will it ever become a more vibrant node similar to Yonge and Eglinton? There does seem to be a steady stream of revitalization going on, with projects underway or in the planning/approval process. It seems there is a lot of potential here, due to the central location, major transit hubs, access to major roadways (for those who still need them), etc. Just curious what people think about NYCC and if they have any opinions as to where it is headed.

I think NYCC will start to mature and become a more stable area. The main boom will be complete once Hullmark and Emerald Park projects are completed next year. There are small developments happening but no more large projects underway. The next major improvement I'm looking forward to is to an improvement of the Yonge Street public realm, the extension of Doris south to Avondale and the construction of Yonge S to 401 E flyover ramp to improve traffic conditions south of Sheppard.

What I'd really like to see is improved shopping in the area. Yorkdale is too popular and super packed to the brim. It would be great to have more varied retail in the area. Maybe with a renovated Shelpard Centre we will see better stores. Right now the Shellard centre is tired and old with lots of empty store fronts. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years.

What do people think the future holds for NYCC? Will it ever become a more vibrant node similar to Yonge and Eglinton? There does seem to be a steady stream of revitalization going on, with projects underway or in the planning/approval process. It seems there is a lot of potential here, due to the central location, major transit hubs, access to major roadways (for those who still need them), etc. Just curious what people think about NYCC and if they have any opinions as to where it is headed.

Back