News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Noise from pipes in risers

taxman

Member Bio
Reaction score
has anyone else experienced this? The water pipes inside my unit can be heard even when I have my TV on (louder than my TV sometimes). The property management tells me that its normal, but I find that hard to believe given that the unit is less than 5 years old.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is it from plumbing in your unit?

At any rate, it isn't 'normal' for plumbing to be particularly noisy. It's hard to say exactly what is causing it, but usually the fix is relative simple. Most likely, the plumbing is rattling due to improper installation.

Given how loud you indicate your pipe noises are, maybe you need to exchange your property management company.

Perhaps your property manager misunderstands the extent of the noise your pipes make.

Maybe he (or she) thinks you're talking about the sound drain pipes make when someone upstream is running water? I know that's pretty normal. If they're making other noises, I don't think that's normal, at least not in an <5 year unit. You should probably elaborate if there might be confusion, or else you might want to take it up with management and get them to fix it.

The property management tells me that its normal

Have you tried telling them it's not normal? It sounds like a repair the property management would like to avoid. Nothing broken just that the plumbing isn't properly tied down.

could also be air in your heating lines... they're bled after installation but if there was some work done to the system recently it may need to be done again. it would definitely be a job for a professional.

Is it from plumbing in your unit?

At any rate, it isn't 'normal' for plumbing to be particularly noisy. It's hard to say exactly what is causing it, but usually the fix is relative simple. Most likely, the plumbing is rattling due to improper installation.

Perhaps your property manager misunderstands the extent of the noise your pipes make.

Maybe he (or she) thinks you're talking about the sound drain pipes make when someone upstream is running water? I know that's pretty normal. If they're making other noises, I don't think that's normal, at least not in an <5 year unit. You should probably elaborate if there might be confusion, or else you might want to take it up with management and get them to fix it.

Have you tried telling them it's not normal? It sounds like a repair the property management would like to avoid. Nothing broken just that the plumbing isn't properly tied down.

could also be air in your heating lines... they're bled after installation but if there was some work done to the system recently it may need to be done again. it would definitely be a job for a professional.

Thanks for the responses. The noise is coming from the pipes which my kitchen sink pipes attach to. If the cold water is turned off on my end, the noise dissipates somewhat. Its basically the sound of the the cold/hot water running through the pipes but inside the riser (or wall) beside the kitchen sink.

I suspect that it occurs whenever the unit above me is running their water (my water tap it off). The funny thing is I can also hear them banging dishes in their sink ... which is a whole other issue Ive yet to tackle.

if you're in a condo you should definitely not be hearing your upstairs neighbor banging their dishes around... sounds like it could be an insulation issue. pipes are supposed to be insulated which should take of the noise water makes when traveling through the riser. has this been happening since you moved in or is it a something new?

what kind of noise it it? is it a rattle? a bang? the sound of flow?

Similar to the first poster, I've also noticed a loud ongoing noise from my water pipes when the unit(s) above me run water (the noise is an ongoing hum/shriek - not just the sound of water flowing through pipes). Is this normal? Does anyone else hear similar noises when the units above have their taps (shower or sink faucets) running?

Similar to the first poster, I've also noticed a loud ongoing noise from my water pipes when the unit(s) above me run water (the noise is an ongoing hum/shriek - not just the sound of water flowing through pipes). Is this normal? Does anyone else hear similar noises when the units above have their taps (shower or sink faucets) running?
Sounds like a water hammer to me, can be solved quite cheaply by installing a water hammer arrestor. (Look it up on Google.). Not sure if it should go on your pipes or your neighbours but in either case it is probably your condo's or landlord's responsibility.

Sounds like a water hammer to me, can be solved quite cheaply by installing a water hammer arrestor. (Look it up on Google.). Not sure if it should go on your pipes or your neighbours but in either case it is probably your condo's or landlord's responsibility.

The noise is similar as that in the below video. Would this be water hammer?
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Vwo5xjZ4FNA

Back