News   Jun 18, 2024
 894     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 568     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 1.8K     4 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Plus considering the high-volume of pedestrian deaths already this year, there's certainly a strong argument to be made that Toronto's arterial roads need to be made slower. This will go over like a lead balloon with most voters, but it's a troubling trend.

Perhaps platform edge walls along all curbsides as well... With doors only at intersections and crosswalks that open only when in phase.

What is the obsession with studying about? How many of the worlds great transit systems were studied for years on end before being built? As far as I can tell, these studies make pretty little books, but not much else.

Fine then, I'd like a subway stop at my doorstep with an express route right to my office. Any candidates that propose that will get my vote.

All silliness aside. Studies are what feed our network planning and expansion. If we don't do a study how do we know which corridors need additional buses (or technology upgrade), or which need to be pared back, or where we need to expand the network to. The problem being that we need to act on these studies otherwise they become stagnant.

Last edited:
I will probably vote for Rossi.

Let me first clarify that I largely share the same vision for this city that many of you do: I want a socially-inclusive, urban Toronto with vibrant communities, responsible governance and access for all. I don't think Rossi is against this; as his speech at the Empire Club demonstrates, he wants this too, but he plans to approach it from a different, more pragmatic way.

John Lorinc and people on this forum have focused mostly on Rossi's opinions on transportation, but this is not the main point of this election. That is a red herring, in my mind, that is distracting from the far more important issue of this city's impending fiscal disaster. As I will describe, and for matters largely beyond our control as Torontonians, we are entering an era of fiscal restraint. A "progressive" visionary like Miller is not what's needed. We don't need "exciting" but expensive city building projects at a time when we are hemmhoraging cash. We need someone to clean house. Moreover, I believe that we can build the city we want in a much more pragmatic fashion, and I don't think Rossi is necessarily standing in the way of that.

The most important factor in this upcoming election is the escalating cost of public services. As I see it, the city, whose role is to provide those public services faces several options to maintain fiscal accountability:

1. cut services
2. raise taxes/introduce new sources of funding
3. lower overhead
4. beg higher governments for more funding

#2 is obviously off the table for discussion in an election year, but has been used a great deal by the Miller administration. It's probably the second best option, and should be exercised prudently. Indeed, I think it is inevitable that Rossi will have to raise taxes somewhere or introduce new sources for funding. This is getting difficult, though, because the McGuinty government is probably the most generous provincial government Toronto will ever deal with, and Miller squandered his new taxing and funding opportunities during his tenure. Moreover, we are entering a period in which cities of the inner 905, notably the very large Mississauga, but also parts of Durham, Brampton etc. will be in a fiscal straitjacket of their own. Toronto is no longer in a position to go begging to the provincial government due to its size (especially when its share of the provincial population is slipping), and, as I said, with the increasing financial vulnerability of the populous 905 and the fact that the next premier will have to rein in deficits, I think option #4 is a goner, too.

That brings us to options #1 and #3. Unfortunately, the worst aspect of David Miller was his cowardly tactic of crying poor and threatening to cut services in desperation - and it was usually something symbolic, like the Scarborough RT or Sheppard subway. By "cutting services", I don't just mean the TTC, of course, but the public services citizens of the city of Toronto receive in all areas. Luckily, McGuinty usually came to the rescue in the 11th hour, but this is clearly an unsustainable arrangement. Option #3, lowering overhead, is not necessarily the "best" option, but it is the "best we have" given the non-viability of #2 and #4. In most contemporary cities, the majority of overhead consists of the cost of labour and, after this year's garbage strike, the public is painfully aware just how cushy most public sector blue collar jobs are. Rossi goes straight for the jugular by suggesting that garbage service be open for bidding. I assume that other sectors will, over his tenure, be up for a similar review as their contracts expire. He is not disbarring public sector unions from bidding for the job, but it is unlikely that the cost of maintaining a very expensive sick bank and the kind of benefits that garbage workers enjoy will allow them to win that bid. Moreover, removing garbage, though important, is something that can be privatized because producing garbage is an environmental 'disamenity' that needs proper costing to internalize and thus reduce. In the end, what is achieved is a reduction in garbage production, while the achievement from Miller's side is to provide high paying jobs for garbage collectors.

We cannot afford to maintain the current Miller fiscal structure where cutting the exorbitant wages and benefits enjoyed by public sector workers is off the table but 2.5 million people must collectively suffer lost services. When you think about this, this is extremely unprogressive; collectively, citizens suffer to maintain favourtism for an elite sector of the population. This is not much different from right wing corporate welfare, except that instead of industrialists/bankers, you have another favoured interest group in the form of public sector blue collar workers. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

But, since transit and bike lanes seem to be the hangup of most people here and on Spacing, let's examine them with some more transparency.

Transit City is a deeply flawed plan which has been dissected to detail by many people on various threads in this forum - I won't need to get into the specifics; just go and consult those threads. I think it would be better to walk away from it now, than to commit to a plan that is fraught with problems. Yes, we incur penalties for doing so, just like Ottawa learned and it is akin to a bride leaving her groom at the altar. But it is better to leave someone at the altar than to enter into a horrible marriage. Unlike Ottawa's LRT plan, TC is ideologically-driven and doesn't address the city's urgent regional transportation needs. Also, if TC is built, we will (and this goes to my point about no premier ever being so generous on Toronto ever again) not see another transit expansion program within this city in at least a generation. We cannot squander this opportunity. Under Rossi, Sheppard would be the only part of TC built and that's it. In 7 years time (or whenever the damn thing will finally be finished, if St. Clair is any indication), critics will look at an orphaned Sheppard line with its unique track gauge and special LRVs and call it the "Rossi Rocket" or bestow upon it the name of some other folly (it will probably be the new Scarborough RT!), but let's face it: the costs of TC will escalate beyond our proportions and I think the plan will be curtailed such that the system, as built, will be something of an orphan in any case. Worse, I foresee that someone like Giambrone would cut existing bus service to pay for the higher operating costs of LRT. I am not advocating for subways or BRT or pandering to mode ideology here, and neither is Rossi. We have to pick our transit lines carefully in this era of restraint and we have to be honest and open about what mode we use. While I'm not particularly sold on TC, I do think there are places for LRT in our region, but not as part of an all-or-nothing $10 billion plan.

Bike lanes:

Downtown progressives have tarred and feathered him over this comment without looking at the particulars: he didn't say he would rip out all bike lanes; he was supportive of them on side streets which is where most of them are, already, and what seems to be less of a political nightmare to institute. Secondly, I think it was a reactionary comment in regards to the plan to put bike lanes on Jarvis which is not very smart, considering that the bike lane on Sherbourne is a block away. Finally, how "progressive" have Miller and Giambrone been to bike advocacy? During Miller's time, only a few, unjoined scraps of bicycle lanes were actually painted on the road. Giambrone took an opportunity in his own ward to put bike lanes on Lansdowne and squandered it with a wider sidewalk (not needed) and useless sharrows that make the bike experience less safe than how it used to be.

---

I will give Smitherman a fair shot (forget Giambrone), but Rossi has impressed me the most so far. Listening to his speech, I find myself agreeing with him, not because I cheer forpeople on one half of the political spectrum over another, but because he has suggested the most pragmatic approach to dealing with the major issue facing this city right now.

Last edited:
Hipster--thanks for that thoughtful post. I agree that some of the reaction to Rocco has been over the top; I went and watched the speech and it wasn't quite as reactionary as some of the media coverage made it seem. I also agree that getting public-sector wage costs under control is an urgent concern in Toronto, and a long-term challenge to any progressive city-building we would all like to see.

However, transportation is--like it or not--a huge issue in Toronto, both because of the city's physical size and decades of under-investment. The notion that we should even consider walking away from Transit City, flawed though it is, strikes me as deeply irresponsible. We are not talking about London, or Paris, where the primacy and size of the metropolis dictates that funding will generally be available for infrastructure priorities, even if they are altered and delayed. Large shots of transit funding come along in Toronto extremely rarely. Transit City benefitted from a fairly unusual set of circumstances--pro-transit municipal and provincial governments and general desire for large-scale infrastructure spending. It seems to me that your argument that, with TC built, we won't see more provincial or federal spending for a long time is equally true if it is not built. It would be very easy at that point for Queen's Park--and especially Ottawa--to say 'well, we offered you billions with no strings attached and you walked away, so why should we do so again?' The alternative to 'something' in this case is almost certainly nothing.

It's also worth considering that the premier has invested considerable political capital in Transit City. One of the reasons why so much of it is hurtling toward a 2010 start is that he wants to be able to point to lots of ongoing infrastructure construction in what could be a fairly competitive 2011 provincial election. I can't imagine that taking a historically-scaled funding commitment and spitting it back in the premier's face would do much for municipal-provincial relations, especially if he's re-elected.

I think it's important not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good here, as they say in the U.S. Senate.

The Eglinton line alone, if properly executed, would be the single most significant new piece of transit infrastructure in the GTA in a generation. I'd rather it were a subway, and I'd rather the DRL were on the agenda, and I'd rather there were ironclad guarantees of surface signal priority and so on. But it's fully funded, well into detailed design, consultation, and environmental assessment, and stands a very good chance of starting construction this year.

In Toronto that's a hugely significant development, and one we tinker with at our peril. The ratio of talk and grand plans to shovels in the ground must be higher in Toronto than in any comparable city in the developed world. It's crucial that the emphasis shifts from talking about things to doing things, flawed or not, because the perfect plan is not likely to ever come along.

I was deeply sceptical of Rocco before he started musing on this subject, and am only getting more so. What was also striking in the video--which I do encourage all to check out, on his campaign site--was that the candidate delivered his commitment to ban bike lanes on arterial roads with an Obama-esque crescendo, culminating in naming the streets included. This was greeted with what basically amounted to whooping and hollering in approval. It was clearly meant to be the most passionate line of the speech. I worry that Rocco is trying--and succeeding--in tapping into a very ugly strain in Toronto society, one which is fundamentally at odds with any vision of the city as an inclusive, accessible, diverse and urban place. I also worry that his experience at the Empire Club, which was pretty heady stuff for someone who has never before run for office, will convince him that pandering to that Mugwump demographic will deliver the election. Finally, I worry that a split left thanks to Giambrone, Pantalone, and Smitherman might actually make that a viable strategy.

All of which is to say that I'm going to be an enthusiastic backer of Mr. Smitherman, unless somehow convinced otherwise. So that's my €0.02.

Last edited:
Matt,

Those are good points. I think, fundamentally, our choices reflect what we consider to be the most pressing issues facing the city. I think getting the city's finances back in order is more important than transportation, and you think that while fiscal accountability is a big deal in this election, transportation is bigger, at least right now.

Even if TC gets built with the allocated provincial money, I think that the rising costs of construction due to a) improper accounting b) city incompetence c) extraneous factors, will escalate the cost of the project such that - and this hits on your point about properly executed plans - only a small amount of it will be built, or built to such compromise that it might as well have not been built at all (Aside: I am speculating that since the ROW and tunnels have already been planned to a large extent, that we will scale back the purchase of vehicle options such that we have "American" frequencies). At that point it becomes an exercise in futility and a legacy cost for future generations. Sort of like Mirabel 2. I think I'd rather leave the bride at the altar, so to speak. I think no new transit projects is better than a bad transit project and, besides, Sheppard and the VCC extension aren't being touched. This is considerably different from when Mike Harris stopped the Eglinton project when a tunnel was already being dug.

As for McGuinty's political stake on Transit City, I am not entirely convinced about that yet. He just wrote a blank check to improve transit, and how it is to be used was up to the city. I also think that voters, critics and pundits will rightfully hang the millstone around Miller, and not McGuinty's neck, when TC turns out to be the fiasco we all predicted it would be.

re: tapping into a dark strain,

The difference between Rossi vs. Miller and, say, Tea Partiers vs. Obama is that in the former case, we have a pragmatist challenging an ideologue and in the lamentable American example, we have ideologues blindly challenging a pragmatist.

I don't think his bike lane crescendo was meant to whoop up anybody, but when it happens, what politician would back away? He is, after all, still a pol. Again, I would reiterate that Rossi isn't against bike lanes, just against new bike lanes on decidedly suburban arterials (Finch, Warden, the ones he named). He even suggested that he would expand bike lanes on secondary roads, which is a good deal more than Miller who chose to fight an uphill battle against irate merchants with on-street parking concerns when parallel side streets were ripe for the picking. In the end, we might see that more bike lanes are built in Toronto under Rossi's term than under Miller's.

Last edited:
Hipster, that was a very well written post, but I really have to disagree with the main thrust of it.

The real fiscal crisis in Toronto comes from the decades of failure to invest in the city. For the last 20 years the city has been in a constant cycle of Rossi type hunts for "efficiencies" and of "trying to do more with less." What this has meant in practice is stagnation and a deferral of needed projects.

The most visible area is transit. While ridership increased 20% this decade, this growth has not been matched by investment. The reverse is true. Cut backs have left the existing stations and infrastructure to decline to a level far below what they were in the past. Roads and highways have gone the same way, as have less visible pieces of the infrastructure. Most notably the city water and sewage systems are near crisis. Look at the state of municipal office buildings and the city's inadequate computer systems and you can see areas where a failure to invest has increased the overhead costs of government.

Miller and McGuinty have combined to create real progress in solving some of these problems, but these changes are just now getting underway. The last thing we need is someone like Rossi coming in and starting a new round of cuts and delays. It is clear from Rossi's platform that he is going for facile cuts instead of building a new fiscal foundation for the city. This is epitomized by his plan to sell Toronto Hydro, which would provide a quick burst of cash while increasing the long term deficit. Exactly the short term planning that got us into the current mess.

I'd make two further points, followed by a disclaimer. These don't necessarily pertain to Rocco only; rather, I think they're interesting in the broader context of the race.

1. One of the consequences of the neoconservative moment in North America is that, in the popular imagination, fiscal responsibility has come to be associated with the 3 Cs: cutting, cancelling, and contracting out. But it's crucial to remember that sensible investment is an important part of being 'responsible.' For example, one of Toronto's key long-term fiscal challenges is to attract tax-paying businesses to the city, and convince those already in it to remain. The people who worry about this sort of thing for a living--ie, the Board of Trade--list infrastructure as their top priority next to tax reform. Indeed, the BoT was, and remains, a huge booster of MoveOntario, of which Transit City is of course the largest part. No agenda for economic development, which Rocco claims is one of his priorities, will go anywhere without aggressive infrastructure investment. In turn, without economic development fiscal problems are going to get much worse.

2. I don't want to minimise the severity of Toronto's fiscal problems. However, I wonder if some degree of financial chaos is an essential part of the North American urban condition. New York has tons of non-property taxing powers, more economic clout than any city in the Western hemisphere and a ruthlessly pragmatic mayor who has one of the most brilliant business minds on the planet. And yet it is constantly going cap-in-hand to Albany, desperately trying to wring concessions out of its unions, and bringing in 'doomsday budgets' that threaten to drastically cut services. Other cities in Toronto's peer group like Chicago and Philadephia have remarkably similar problems. All of this makes me wonder how fixable, in a systemic sense, Toronto's financial problems really are. Of course a lot of progress can be made and we should take every practical opportunity to put things on a sounder footing--but leaving city-building 'on hold' in pursuit of fiscal sustainability that may not be attainable doesn't strike me as terribly wise. Instead, seizing the moment and getting whatever positive infrastructure investment done that we can is prudent.

And finally, the disclaimer. As I have mentioned before on these boards I live in Europe and not Toronto, and for professional reasons have no immediate plans to return. I care an awful lot about my hometown and pay very close attention to it, but don't have anywhere near the immediate stake in this election that most of you do. So my opinions should be taken with a good measure of salt.

I wrote a nice little answer and then lost it, somehow. Did watch the video. Agree strongly with both of allabootmatt's posts above. That was the gist of what I wrote anyways.

Matt, you bring up interesting points, and ones that stymie any urban theorist or political economist. There's no right answer, of course, but I have some theories of my own:

1. Infrastructure is too often treated as an end, rather than a means. There seems to have been this cult devoted toward building expensive new infrastructure since the 1930s when New Deal-era projecs were all the rage. Advocates for infrastructure spending point to the "fact" that Keynesian infrastructure spending pulled the United States out of the Great Depression, but that is only partially true. That is not to say that we shouldn't build expensive infrastructure, but we should do so sparingly and only when we don't have recourse to other alternatives. There should, in particular, be accountability in terms of how infrastructure serves actual people - the people who pay for it. For example, I've been working with a neighbourhood in my overbuilt sunbelt city to come up with an alternative method of developing transportation access using local knowledge techniques. The participants at my workshop have been much more useful than your typical city/transport planner at pointing out directly where infrastructure should be directed in the place that they call home. For example, we found out that kids were scrambling to run across a busy road in one place because the city had built a crosswalk in the wrong place. In another case, the police were parked on near permanent stakeout in a cruiser that was constantly running while johns would solicit prostitutes in a nearby alley. "Nobody uses that alley except for sex, anyway" mused one participant, "so why don't we just brick it in?" In Phoenix, as in most cities in North America, including Toronto, infrastructure is distributed relatively indiscriminately like a salt sprayer on a winter road without much thought about patterns of use and local need. While the free market isn't a cure-all, opening opportunities for local private entrepreneurs to provide services at a community level is an opportunity that few politicians seize on. Perhaps it's because providing seed money for jitney service isn't a photo-op but cutting the ribbon on a pricey new LRT line is. This leads to your second point...

2. North American cities are in fiscal straitjackets partially because of their infrastructure commitments, but also because they rely heavily on complex, sophisticated and often technologically demanding institutions to manage that infrastructure. Roger Pielke Jr. did a famous study where he extrapolated the cost of various Atlantic hurricanes to what they would be in 2000. For example, he took the Miami Hurricane of 1926 - one of the most ferocious - and calculated how much it would cost if a hurricane of its magnitude slammed into present-day Miami, with its expensive beachfront properties, sophisticated transport and communications infrastructure and electrical grid (etc., etc.). The total cost would be in the hundreds of billions of dollars and would dwarf even Hurricane Katrina in damage. Remember, when our city's fathers built the Yonge subway line in 1949 they paid for its construction directly from the farebox! That would be inconceivable today. In fact, it's interesting you mention New York City, because that is the most expensive city to build anything in North America right now. How could a 3-block expansion of the 7 line cost a billion dollars? Rebuilding the Tappan Zee bridge? 8 billion. The Second Ave subway a boggling $14B+. Of course, infrastructure and its management aren't the only things that bankrupt great cities; there's also the cost of labour outpacing inflation, and socio-cultural factors like trying to provide a welfare net (I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but it's another place to introduce inefficiencies and many US cities pay handsomely to stitch together one and fail miserably at doing so) - but infrastructure is definitely a big cost to consider, especially if you advocate for its construction but scratch your head about where fiscal accountability has gone.

Last edited:
Hipster, that was a very well written post, but I really have to disagree with the main thrust of it.

The real fiscal crisis in Toronto comes from the decades of failure to invest in the city. For the last 20 years the city has been in a constant cycle of Rossi type hunts for "efficiencies" and of "trying to do more with less." What this has meant in practice is stagnation and a deferral of needed projects.

The most visible area is transit. While ridership increased 20% this decade, this growth has not been matched by investment. The reverse is true. Cut backs have left the existing stations and infrastructure to decline to a level far below what they were in the past. Roads and highways have gone the same way, as have less visible pieces of the infrastructure.

Prior to this decade transit ridership was falling. Only now, with greater capacity has it reached its peak from ~20 years ago. The question that needs to be answered, before any large TC like commitments is what are the constraints. Will TC increase transit ridership, or just make it better? The other issue regarding the financial side, and this goes for the city as a whole, not just the TTC is that of productivity . Looking at cost without looking at productivity is useless. If one was to look at the change in TTC producutiny over the last generation they would second guess it future liability.

Also, if TC is built, we will (and this goes to my point about no premier ever being so generous on Toronto ever again) not see another transit expansion program within this city in at least a generation.

With the number of GO Transit expansions and improvements already in progress, this statement doesn't hold up. GO is where the real regional transit will happen, not the TTC. As you said, the GTA population is growing much faster than Toronto. Neither Transit City, nor a new bunch of subways will serve the regional interest, they're both suited for medium distance travel.

The only thing a proposal for slower traffic will get is mass ridicule.
It seems to me that most of the transit proposals with dedicated right-of-ways along main roads have at least moderate support from the general public, despite the projections that they will slow vehicular traffic somewhat.

Why even paint bike lanes on side streets? Is that where safety is a concern, where traffic moves slower and in smaller concentrations? Cyclists want to use arterials because they're often the fastest and most efficient route and because that's where more destinations are located. That's also where safety is a concern. So that's an issue that Rossi should probably back down and focus on more reasonable goals than cancelling the most important bike lanes.

Also, politicians and the media should stop using the stupid "war on cars" rhetoric. It seems to be legitimizing a militaristic mindset among drivers that makes that just encourages aggression towards pedestrians and cyclists.

Why even paint bike lanes on side streets? Is that where safety is a concern, where traffic moves slower and in smaller concentrations? Cyclists want to use arterials because they're often the fastest and most efficient route and because that's where more destinations are located. That's also where safety is a concern. So that's an issue that Rossi should probably back down and focus on more reasonable goals than cancelling the most important bike lanes.

I agree. Who really needs a bike lane on a street like Shaw or Barton? I feel perfectly safe on those ones even with no line on the road. The city seems to think so as well, which is why even though bike routes run along those streets they don't indicate it with anything other than the occassional sign. There is no point putting bike lanes on streets that are already slow moving and without much traffic. The places where bike lanes are useful are the arterials. For instance, biking along the Bloor Viaduct would be terrifying if there was no bike lane.

The thing I don't get about Rossi's bike lane position is that it seems almost entirely motivated by the debate over Jarvis this past spring, but that issue was only tangentially related to bike lanes. Getting rid of the middle lane on Jarvis was motivated by issues that have nothing to do with bikes and, indeed, the bike lanes were only added to the plan late in the game.

So he is saying he'd stop the Jarvis plan entirely and leave it 'as is'?

Back