News   Aug 13, 2024
 931     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 476     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 685     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

The next mayor will not be able to take on new projects so getting a visionary mayor would be pointless. A fiscally conservative mayor (who has a brain) is probably the best choice. The next opportunity to kick off projects will be in the term Dec 2014 - Nov 2018. I sure wouldn't want to be the mayor for the next four years because while there will start to be ribbon cuttings to open things started under Miller, the bulk of the work will be dealing with strikes and budget constraints. I think being the mayor kicking off projects is probably far more rewarding.

I wonder if Miller has some sneaky plan to run again in 2014. Just take off the next four years, knowing that whoever is mayor and on council will be screwed. Then he comes back in 2014 and says "Hey, remember when I was mayor? Everything was good!"

Of course it wasn't all good, but most voters don't seem to remember anything before the previous four days, nevermind years.

Pantalone? will be a disaster as a mayor... this guys is a lifetime politician... he's just up for the next 'promotion'.

we need someone that doestn' really 'need' the mayoral paycheque (at 250k?)

someonel, dare I say it, that is fiscally 'conservative'....

too many people blindly vote for an 'ideology' and do not analyze the situation or endgame result....

These are the same folks that go out and pretend to be 'green' with their home upgrades of HE appliances but will be the first one to turn their power guzzling A.C. on and last one to give up driving to the corner store instead of walking.

This is how someone with no track record of successs in the private sector (David Miller) becomes a mayor.

Actually, fiscal conservatism is an ideology. And the salary of the mayor is about 170K taxable.

As to him not having a track record in the private sector - I do recall he works in a rather well known law firm in the private sector prior to political life. Besides, we operate in a democracy - not a oligarchy or plutocracy.

AoD

No candidate really impresses me, so far.

Having said that, Smitherman is the only one I can consider voting for at this time, because I strongly feel we need a career politician in place (strike Tory out). But please, I am undecided. Smitherman doesn't have my vote yet. I'll wait until he starts talking in 2010 before I decide.

I still think that council could, and would, wipe the floor with Tory.

Pantalone? Sorry, just forget about him, no leadership qualities to speak of.

It's going to be "hold my nose" time again, come election time, from what I can tell right now.

To all you Miller bashers: I lost confidence in him in recent times, true, but no one else in this town has had the stones to address a very pressing taxation issue. Business taxes got far too high, and residential taxes are considerably lower than in other major municipalities. Miller chipped at this; all prior comers were chickenshit about it. You can't tax the crap out of the business sector; all the previous left wingers on council made a sport of that practice. And let me clarify--my politics are for the most part leftist, but I am thoroughly grounded in business.

Pantalone? will be a disaster as a mayor... this guys is a lifetime politician... he's just up for the next 'promotion'.

we need someone that doestn' really 'need' the mayoral paycheque (at 250k?)

someonel, dare I say it, that is fiscally 'conservative'....

too many people blindly vote for an 'ideology' and do not analyze the situation or endgame result....

These are the same folks that go out and pretend to be 'green' with their home upgrades of HE appliances but will be the first one to turn their power guzzling A.C. on and last one to give up driving to the corner store instead of walking.

This is how someone with no track record of successs in the private sector (David Miller) becomes a mayor.

Your posts make you look like the kind of idiotic ideologue you find so contemptuous. David Miller was a partner at Aird & Berlis before taking a pay cut of at least 50% to beome a city councillor.

Wow... I had my hopes set on Murray as Mayor. He already has the experience in that position and leans politically towards my ideologies. Oh well... I guess he can be a strong candidate for the job of Premier when Dalton retires or loses an election.

I refuse to believe this will be a two man race. With no incumbent, there should be a pileup of competent (and incompetent) candidates announcing by now.

Things would be very different if we had a strong mayor system and a salary to attract top notch CEO material.

If David Miller does one thing in his last year in office, I hope that it's fighting for a strong mayor system. He won't benefit from it so he can plow ahead with it without being accused of giving himself more power.
The entire structure of council needs to be revised in fact with a handful of elected Council Representatives to keep the Mayor in check and look after the City as a whole and less powerful councillors to lobby for the interests of their wards.

As a Black male, maybe the next mayor should be Black. He or she could finally talk some sense to these so-called Black community leaders and to these mentally-challenged thugs with their oversized diapers :mad:

Last edited:
As a Black male, maybe the next mayor should be Black. He or she could finally talk some sense to these so-called Black community leaders and to these mentally-challenged thugs with their oversized diapers :mad:

I don't think a black mayor would do anything for these issues. Leadership on these issues has to come from within the black community.

Another candidate has declared. From the Star:

Liberal director to step down, run for Toronto mayoralty

Rocco Rossi is quitting as national director of the federal Liberal party to join the race to be the next mayor of Toronto. He will make a formal announcement Monday morning.

"I can confirm that on Monday, my intention is to announce that I will be throwing my hat into the ring for the mayor of Toronto," Rossi said Friday night.

A harsh, but sort of true, quote from an anonymous Liberal is that "He's like Stephen LeDrew but with a lower profile."

Back