News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

what's cowardly/gutless about it? You seem keen to slag but aren't really telling us why. And it's not like their supporters can't still vote for them, they've simply acknowledged that they're not in contention. It'd be no different than the dozens upon dozens of candidates throughout the city who have realized they have no chance of winning and have resigned to the fact that they won't be in Council, only without the heavy media presence.
Once a candidate commits to staying in after the cut-off date and keeping their name on the ballot, I believe they are obligated to stay in it to the end. "Dropping out" is a betrayal of the electorate and shows a lack of integrity. But if that only bothers me, so be it.

And find me these dozens upon dozens of candidates for councilor who have "dropped out" after September 10.

Can you believe these gutless coward baseball teams that quit before the bottom of the ninth when the home team is ahead? Sure, there's no way you can win, but finish the game!
Poor analogy. By rule, the game is automatically over if the home team is leading after the top of the ninth. Thomson and Rossi were both on the field of play and then quit with the game still going on before the ninth inning.

Hey kids, I lied before. Quitting is actually perfectly okay! I know it's the middle of the championship game, but we have to leave because I have to go home and feed my ego. Don't worry, I'll buy you all ice cream on the way!

One more in George's corner. FFS Pants, time to listen to the progressives here and get out of the way!

Globe&Mail story
Never mind him -- who do his current and former wives and current and former mistresses support?

What's even more baffling is David Miller telling people to ignore the media and vote for Joe. Really? Does he really think that Somehow magically, the polls will be wrong by as much as 30% in his favour? Does Miller really want to see his legacy of 7 years destroyed in under 1?
So David Miller actually has the courage of his convictions. What a novel concept!

Just heard Pantalone on CBC Radio Morning declaring he would either spoil his ballot or refrain from voting if faced with a choice of only Ford or Smitherman. He says one is just as bad as the other.

What an utter disgrace he has become. For a politician to actually promote staying at home as a possible option in an election is beyond the pale; after 30 years, does he not understand that politics is about making choices -- usually among a range of unpalatable options?

Both TheStar and TheGlobe&Mail have convincing articles on how they're confident Pantalone's supporters will move in droves to Smitherman in the final days of the campaign.

A little pressure off my mind, but I won't rest until the votes are counted and Ford is retired from City Hall.

P.S. How's his brother doing in Etobicoke-North? Is he a shoe-in simply by virtue of name recognition or does his main challenger stand a chance?

That makes him sound like a sore loser and not someone who cares as much about the city as he professes.

Once a candidate commits to staying in after the cut-off date and keeping their name on the ballot, I believe they are obligated to stay in it to the end. "Dropping out" is a betrayal of the electorate and shows a lack of integrity. But if that only bothers me, so be it.

And find me these dozens upon dozens of candidates for councilor who have "dropped out" after September 10.

Well they are staying in it until the end. They've just said they won't be campaigning anymore. By all means, vote for them, but they won't be actively seeking your vote for whatever the reason. The cut-off date is just an arbitrary day set by the City for legal and functional purposes. What if Rossi and Thompson simply stopped campaigning but didn't announce it? It's no different.

Considering there are hundreds of people running for public office, you don't think a bunch have given up and stopped campaigning? The only difference is, they don't get the media attention. For example, is Carmen Macklin still actively persuing votes? I don't know, you'd have trouble even finding her on the internet. Someone at some point decided Rossi and Thompson were worthy of media attention and that's the only difference between them and the Carmen Macklins of this election.

Just heard Pantalone on CBC Radio Morning declaring he would either spoil his ballot or refrain from voting if faced with a choice of only Ford or Smitherman. He says one is just as bad as the other.

What an utter disgrace he has become. For a politician to actually promote staying at home as a possible option in an election is beyond the pale; after 30 years, does he not understand that politics is about making choices -- usually among a range of unpalatable options?

CBC reports:

Pantalone has repeatedly said he's not dropping out. When asked by Karen Horseman on CBC Metro Morning Monday who he would endorse if he did drop out, Pantalone said he would either not vote or spoil his ballot.

"If that was a choice between Rob Ford and George Smitherman, I would not vote or I would go and simply spoil my ballot," Pantalone said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/18/toronto-nanos-mayoral-poll.html#ixzz12j1No1L6

I'm a little confused. Did not Pantalone vote yesterday? I could have sworn he was shown on CP24 at the advance polls. Or maybe it was a fuzzy odd dream, sort of like last night's Mad Men...

Of couse it shows the level of Joe's committment to the city: none, really, he's just a neighbourhood guy after all, and a sore loser.

I liked Marcus Gee in this morning's Globe and Mail telling it like it is - Joe has nothing to gain by staying in this race, it's over for Joe. I wonder a couple of things: is Joe elegible for a pension now? And, who is footing Joe's bills for his ruinous run?

More to the point--Joe's support is bleeding in the direction of Smitherman, whether Joe likes it or not.

This has been an exciting and eventful race, and now it has become rather stressful. A week from now I hope to see the following people retired from City Hall: Pantalone and Ford.

I'm a little confused. Did not Pantalone vote yesterday? I could have sworn he was shown on CP24 at the advance polls. Or maybe it was a fuzzy odd dream, sort of like last night's Mad Men...

It was probably a hypothetical question along the lines of, "if you had to choose between Ford and Smitherman, who would you vote for?"

"If that was a choice between Rob Ford and George Smitherman, I would not vote or I would go and simply spoil my ballot," Pantalone said.

Wow. For a politician to say that shows remarkably bad judgment. It's frankly irresponsible.

It was probably a hypothetical question along the lines of, "if you had to choose between Ford and Smitherman, who would you vote for?"

Which is even worse if true, effectively encouraging people not to vote.

Well they are staying in it until the end. They've just said they won't be campaigning anymore. By all means, vote for them, but they won't be actively seeking your vote for whatever the reason.

Isn't that the equivelent of a hockey team down by 4 points not 'trying' anymore?

Isn't that worst than the coach throwing in the towel?

The NDP have NEVER been about the city, only advancing union grip hold of Toronto.

There's been no 3rd candidate who's gotten more than 10% in Toronto elections as far as I could find. The most was Barbara Hall in 2003 where she got 9% and John Tory and Miller fought for the top spot. Given the soft support for Pants demonstrated in the latest poll, I think I'm beginning to feel a little comfortable knowing that he'll lose at least 1/3 of his support (5%) to Smitherman which should put him over the top.

Actually the last candidate who took over 10% of the vote put Barbara Hall into office. It was however pre-amalgamation.

3rd place finisher Gerry Meinzer took around 13% of the vote in 1994. Meinzer who was from the right of the political spectrum took enough votes away from incumbent June Rowlands to allow Barbara Hall to win the election.

The current election reminds me a lot of the 1991 Toronto election. Former PC cabinet minister Susan Fish's support collapsed when the right coalesced around centrist June Rowlands who appeared to be a stronger candidate. IIRC Fish dropped out although her name remained on the ballot. It was a successful attempt to form an Anyone But Layton coalition.

Back